The Employment Gold Card Super-Thread

…then click the blue button to view, scroll down to the section “RESIDENT” - and I discovered it there!
Great, I will use this on my (superfluous?) application, but anyhow I need to refer to it for a family member also.
Hopefully the absence of the actual physical card will no longer prevent me from moving ahead now.
Thanks for the pointers, guys! Will update if there are significant steps further

1 Like

What’s the number to call the NIA?

Recommend using the specific Gold Card contacts list.

3 Likes

Thanks for that link, I will mail to one of them too…

Note, if you call any of the numbers starting in (02)2388-9393 on https://foreigntalentact.ndc.gov.tw/en/cp.aspx?n=D927ED39BDAE7478&s=DA2F7BC919B77E24, that gets you to someone at the NIA (which is under Ministry of Interior). Many of the others on the list are in other departments, which is helpful for different questions.

I asked whether the (digital) Residence Authorization Certificate was enough to enter, or I had to mail out the physical gold card. I think they said it is normally good but due to the epidemic situation, the airline may not let me board with just that, and may want the special visitor visa still which I can apply for at TECO that @skilmosa is applying for. If things go smoothly, I will just check policy and clarify again at the TECO stage to see how the implementation of the entry policy works.

Currently in “Professional Review by Workforce Development Agency” - was told to expect potentially 20-30 days total here based on current load

“Professional Review by Workforce Development Agency”

How long is yours stuck at this stage?
Mine is been 11 days, same status as yours.

I applied under Technology, I should have probably done through Economics considering it seems easier.

Mine’s been 13 days here - it was a very rough “maybe 1-2 more weeks” estimate and was based on higher workload lately (luckily wasn’t due to missing docs). Based on your original post, you did a very thorough job of adding info, usually the type of docs that other posters got stalled on under Technology. Who knows, maybe Science/Technology bureau is less busy now haha

I will try to wait a couple of days more, and then I might shoot an email I guess, to see if anything can be speed up a bit.
To be fair, aside from a copy of my resume (which I forgot to include, since it was not asked) there is not a single piece of document left I can share, so I hope after this I will just have to confirm my passport details and that’s it, fingers crossed can happen this week.

I am trying to see if I can get a special entry visa due to my admission at NTU, but TECO in Singapore has strictly said NO VISA apart from work visa, which is not true from my understanding, but I spoke with them twice and there is no way they entertain more than that.

I finally received my Gold Card today. It took 70 days.

Mar 17: Submitted application
Mar 19: First inspection completed. My Taiwanese address was not in the correct format so I had to fix that and submit the changes.
Mar 20: Status changed to Second Inspection (待二審)
Mar 25: Status changed to Professional Review by Workforce Development (勞發署審查中)
Apr 15: Received a response saying I needed to submit additional tax documents
Apr 23: Submitted supplementary documents
May 4: Called to ask about my new documents (still processing)
May 11: Called to ask about my new documents. I was told over the phone that my translation was not good enough. I fixed the translation and submitted the changes.
May 12: Application passed on to supervisor
May 15: Requested to submit my passport at BOCA. When submitting my passport they told me I should come back after 1 week to pickup my passport.
May 22: Picked up my passport at BOCA. They told me to wait for an email from the immigration agency. Status changed to “Under inspection”.
May 25: I received an email that my application was Approved. Status changed to “IC card in process”
May 26: I received an email saying that my gold card was ready to pickup. I went to the immigration agency and got my gold card.

Unfortunately it seems the immigration agencies are pretty busy at the moment. I applied while in Taiwan on a tourist visa. Since my tourist visa was nearing the end, I called to check on the status of application several times during the process. The staff was very helpful and understanding of my situation.

Ministry of Labor: 022380-1720
https://foreigntalentact.ndc.gov.tw/en/cp.aspx?n=D927ED39BDAE7478&s=DA2F7BC919B77E24

9 Likes

Hi all, appreciate the time and advice (and everyone who has contributed to this thread).

After an hour skimming through this thread and using the search function too, I assume the answer is no, but just in case…does anyone know of or have experience with a gold card application for performing arts/music? Can the ministry of culture be expected to reply to specific questions regarding qualification in this category? Thanks again!

2 Likes

Hi, I have a GC under Arts. I’m a Performing Artist among other things. How can I help?

5 Likes

Oh wow my lucky day haha! And congrats to you! I am trying to find out if I would qualify based on my background.

A lot of websites I’ve read list one possible qualification as holding a masters degree + 5 years experience, which I would have. So I am curious how to demonstrate/prove 5 years experience in a largely freelance/self-employed role? That said, I also notice that this option doesn’t seem to be listed on the official Taiwanese site, and the articles/blogs I found are all from 1-2 years ago, so could it be that this is no longer even an option?

Demonstrating anything else (awards, excellence in the field, recommendation from a well-known Taiwanese artist) might be possible but are far less straightforward and certain. Thanks again!

I understand it’s been difficult to obtain a Gold Card in this way. Congratulations on making this work!

Guy

1 Like

I think it comes from here.

Work permit for freelance artist
外國自由藝術工作者
https://ezworktaiwan.wda.gov.tw/cp.aspx?n=8BDC9560BC975DAC

Amendment of Regulations on the Work Permit and Administration of the Foreign Professionals Engaging in Arts and Performing Arts

I’m not sure if it is the same with gold card.

Congratulations! :champagne::confetti_ball:

1 Like

Hi Again
More than happy to have a voice call or meet up if you’re in Taipei. I can show you my full application and talk through the different aspects. Or if it helps others here reading this thread, I can elaborate here instead. I’m all about developing the arts and entertainment industries here in Taiwan, so more than happy to share my application experience transparently here.
My name is Paul Whiteley.
Cheers

2 Likes

Thank you Guy, much appreciated. It took awhile but preparation of support documentation was the key.

1 Like

I have an undergraduate degree in musical theatre (Only) and approx 30 years experience in the arts and entertainment industry. The tricky thing is how to prove that experience. It requires some thinking outside the box.

Many thanks Paul! Looked you up and you have had quite the career!

I am currently in the US and my family (wife + 2 young kids) is strongly considering a move to Taipei for a few years, maybe more. If you don’t mind, I would love to schedule that call sometime or reach out via email. I love that you are passionate about developing the arts!

Just gonna leave a few more details about myself in case someone else wants to offer some advice:

I had a career in performing arts (classically-trained) in what feels like a lifetime ago, although in reality just a decade. I also crossed over quite a bit into pop genres. After I met my wife we started a successful business and with two young kids we were fortunate to be able to sell the business and be able to live ok on the proceeds. So now we get to spend time with the kids and also focus on our passion projects: for my wife that is starting other businesses and for me that’s getting back into music and other creative endeavors.

Really the only reason we want some kind of official residency in Taiwan is to put the kids in public school. Otherwise we would be totally fine doing visa runs and private health insurance. So I was researching our options from investment to starting a business when I stumbled upon the gold card for the arts last night. Again, it is not what I have been doing for my career lately, but it is a field I was legitimately working in years ago and what I want to pursue moving forward.

Many thanks if you took the time to read this!

Would that also be the start of the 6 month waiting period before NHI eligibility ?