The Employment Gold Card Super-Thread

Does anyone have experience with amending the application category to Economy after being asked for additional documents after “Professional Review by Workforce Development”?

I’ve been lurking in this thread for a month now while waiting for my application to be reviewed. I found this thread shortly after applying and the timelines others posted have been helpful, so I’m paying it forward and sharing my own experience.

I’m currently in Taiwan under a Visa exempt entry permit and I am good to stay here until the end of August. I’m really hoping I can get this sorted before I have to leave which will make returning with the COVID entry restrictions a pain. I am a software engineer back home so I applied under the NT$160,000 salary requirements for Science & Tech and submitted my payslips (which include tax in the UK and references from my manager and the Director of Engineering at my previous job.)

After reading this thread I regretted not applying under the Economic category but waited it out.

May 1: Submitted application
May 8: Professional Review by Workforce Development
Jun 5: Received a response saying I needed to submit additional documents

The amendments I have been requested to submit are tax documents (I had submitted pay slips, they seem to be aligned with the US system so I’ll just submit my end of year certificate too that should’t be a problem). I was also asked to provide more supporting documents, other than letters of recommendation, to verify my expertise in technology industry. This will be more tricky as the work I carried out under my previous roll is covered by an NDA and I’m not really sure exactly what their looking for.

I looked into the Economy category and they don’t ask you for additional supporting documents, just proof of pay.

Does anyone have experience with amending the application category to Economic at this stage? Because that’s my current plan and I’d rather not withdraw just to re-submit under another category.
I’m going to call on Monday morning and see what they say.

I switched category at your stage and it was fine. I did call Mr Huang to have him move it. The online application didn’t seem to be working correctly.

So once the gold-card is approved, even if we do not have the cards in hand we will be fine flying with the PDF, has this been confirmed as per new PDF provided by lin_ts?

I reapplied last week under a new category, so I expect my application to be approved by end of July, which will give me enough time to come to ICLP before the start of the semester but not enough time to wait for the card to be mailed to Singapore.

Hi all,

Newbie here. My US friend who is a TW resident told me about this site last night. I am currently in TW under visa-exempt tourist entry until early Aug (when my 90 days + 30 x 3 extension due to Covid-19 expires), so definitely want to apply now.

I went to https://coa.immigration.gov.tw/coa-frontend/four-in-one/entry/ to apply, but all I got was " 系統維護中" (system under maintenance). Has anyone else run into this as well? Thanks!

Hello yes, the site was down for the weekend. Try again Monday. There was an announcement late last week of this.

1 Like

The new PDF on entry requirements just clarifies what was written for theMarch entry restrictions e.g. passport holders, ARC, and special visas. I asked LA TECO Immigration + someone at NIA Taipei about using the gold card PDF to enter, aka the Digital Resident Authorization Permit, aka the 「電子許可證」, who said it should work for entering, but if the airline has an issue they will call someone. So the first one of us to try it post March 19 can report back.

Interesting development. I emailed MOFA and NIA Taiwan directly.
Application sent 6/8/2020? She meant the gold card?
If you haven’t, email them, maybe it will nudge them to send the card.
Cross fingers I get the card soon. I’ll update.

|to chchang03 , tp2602 , a378liu

Dear Ms. Zhang,

As per the email below, I was recently approved of the Employment Gold
Card on 5/10/2020. My application number is XXXXXXXXXX.

I chose to pick up the card in TECO Seattle, USA.

TECO Seattle have not received the card from NIA Taiwan. Do you know
who should I contact to know when the card will be sent?

Response:

Dear Mr. XXX:

Your application for employment gold card has been sent out on 2020/6/8 .

Please wait patiently ,thank you.

================================

內政部移民署

移民資訊組 系統設計科

劉雅維敬啟

電話:(02)2388-9393分機1061

Fax:(02)2388-6862

mail:a378liu@immigration.gov.tw

================================

I have just sent in my application and paid my fee. Now the status is “under review”
Fingers crossed!

How long does it usually take to proceed to next step?

A longer time than usual it seems. Mine was sent in on April 27th. Just was pushed through to the relevant Economic’s unit on June 1st. So still in process. Expect a minimum 60 days at this point. Will update once I (hopefully) get approved.

According to the other people, you should have it in about 4-6 weeks if you applied under the right section.

I applied wrong the first time and moved to the Economy field on the 2nd of June.
The status changed after 2 days I think to:
Professional Review by Workforce Development Agency

My expectations are to receive the approval by middle of July, let’s see if this will work as expected. I will need to take a plane to Taipei by the 20th of August.

The issue will be to then receive the physical card, but apparently you can just fly into Taiwan with the PDF.

Not sure what type of program you applied to, but in my case it was economic. They came back to me after a month (via an email) of wanting to request 3 years of my USA tax returns and my latest W2 (statement of encore from an employer). I chatted on the phone and they then suggested 2018 taxes and W2 were sufficient. Still waiting.

I apply under economic as well. I guess I will email them and tell them that since I must leave TW on Aug 3, and I have already chosen to pick up the Gold Card inside TW, if they can expedite the process somehow.

Also, when I talked the to agency on Monday, they said they were working on the middle of May submissions.

2 Likes

Applied from outside of Taiwan (Germany) on Monday under Economy based on the salary requirement. The application is now in status “待二審” (which I don’t really know what it means - but seems to be somewhat common according to this thread).

Added a letter, CV and all my monthly payslips of this year. Was able to request duplicates from my employer in English (with still some German words on them :roll_eyes: ).
Now hoping that they will accept my application…

Any experience on how to best deal with documents in foreign languages? Is a “self-translation” to English fine or do they require an official translation of some sort? Is English enough or does it have to be (traditional?) Chinese?

1 Like

I think you need to have official translations in English or Chinese, this is what I thought?

Agreed.

Thanks for the response! Do you know what consitutes as an “official” translation? There seem to be many companies offering “official” translations of any sort. Any special “certificate” or quality standard to look out for to make sure the Taiwanese goverment accepts it?

I think you can just write an email to the “embassy” or Mission and ask them what they would accept.
I am not living in my country since almost 10 years, I usually ask to my embassy if I need to translate anything, and they have contacts.

Since I think you might be living in Germany, probably you can ask to the Taiwan office?

1 Like

Ok, will do that if they ask for more documents for which I don’t have a translation yet. Thank you!

Re: Translations of official documents, since it will be the individual department e.g. Ministry of Labor and Ministry of Economic Affairs that inspects your paperwork, I would consider contacting them if you aren’t sure of translation/document standards to English/Chinese, calling once can make sure you send in the right docs and save time. https://foreigntalentact.ndc.gov.tw/en/cp.aspx?n=D927ED39BDAE7478&s=DA2F7BC919B77E24.

It sounds like a “certified translation” would be if needed you are unable to get the document issued by the issuer in English or Chinese e.g. if you have a German official diploma, transcript, or other document, but the issuing agency doesn’t give it in English. Since your company seems to be able to re-issue your documents in English that is fine, although I would try to get them to thoroughly translate everything since any request for additional/updated docs will put you in the waiting line again. The highest standard of translation would be the certified/sworn translators which depends on the jurisdiction, according to Wikipedia there is a list of certified German translators at http://www.justiz-uebersetzer.de/Recherche/en/. Also @qwert_zuiop, don’t want to add extra stress without knowing Germany’s tax documents, but there seems to be a pattern under Economy where they like “official tax documents” e.g. year-end tax forms like the USA W-2, which get sent by employers to the federal government, over documents like payslips.

待二審 seems to be some sort of secondary inspection before it gets sent to the labor department. Some of the “my process” histories here include it, some don’t, unclear if not all applications go through this, if it is new, or if it happens fast enough that most people don’t see it. It is one of the stages that doesn’t get translated to English even if you use the English site

1 Like