The Employment Gold Card Super-Thread

My professional documents were already in English but not the tax forms or salary slips. I simply added some self-translated notes on the PDFs alongside the original titles, headings etc. That was accepted.

1 Like

Hello, everyone! Iā€™m new to this site and this thread. I just read through the whole thread (learned a lot) and have one question.

I am an American living in the United States right now. I plan to submit my Gold Card application tomorrow.

For ā€œMethod of Collection,ā€ should I select ā€œgetting license in ROC embassies and missions abroadā€ (i.e., pick up at my nearest consulate in the States) or pick up in Taiwan?

The advantage of claiming the card here in the United States is that I will have a physical ARC card in hand when I board my flight to Taiwan. That way, I donā€™t have to worry about the airline denying me boarding because they are worried that I canā€™t enter Taiwan under the current Covid border restrictions.

The disadvantage, of course, is that I will have to wait longer for the physical card to be shipped from Taiwan to the consulate in the United States.

Iā€™m concerned about the ā€œpick up in Taiwanā€ option, because I couldnā€™t find anyone on this thread who recently got a new Gold Card and successfully flew to Taiwan just showing the PDF. (There are some posts from people who have been told that itā€™s possible, but no posts from people who have actually done it.)

Which do you think is the better option?

1 Like

I selected remote pickup but after 10 weeks itā€™s still not arrived and the guy at their representative office kind of indicated that it would need to be collected in Taiwan anyhow.
I suspect a covid border control policy
I am curious whether anyone has actually succeeded with a remote collection of the gold card in recent monthsā€¦

1 Like

Hello,
Iā€™m currently applying in the UK for my card. This is what the UK FRO for Taiwan said to me:
There is no physical card to send to our office. When you receive the notice, and visit our officer, then the officer will approve and send the confirmation to Taiwan, then it takes about a week (if not other problem), the office in Taiwan will send you the GOLD CARD CERTIFICATE pdf file via email. You just need to print it out and bright it with you when fly to Taiwan. When you arrive after 14 days isolation, you will go to our Immigration Agency to change your ARC with your gold card certificate.

1 Like

Two questions on that:
Did you ask, in the application, for remote delivery?
Did they inform you of any additional requirements for entry in view of covid-19?

Iā€™m biased since I picked to pick up at the Taipei office - worst case for being denied (I estimate at sub 3%) I can then just ask them to ship it out, and I am close to an airport. Reasons for confidence include the fact that you will have your ARC# at this point, and the airline can call someone to confirm you are legit. In the US the direct flights for TPE from LAX SEA JFK SFO IAH are on the local Taiwan-based airlines so the lines of communication should be easy. Advantage of saving potentially a month of time or more is important to me, YMMV. If I needed a 5 hour drive and multiple transfers to fly, I might feel differently about my guesstimated ā€œ3%ā€ and do more confirmation.

I think this uncertainty will be gone in the next month or two, there is a high chance someone will try to fly and enter on the ā€œResidence Authorization Certificateā€ 電子čرåÆ證꘎" PDF in the next two months and post here. You probably wonā€™t be the guinea pig, and you can call to change location if you find out info here. If you do choose to have it mailed out, you still have the PDF, so if it does get stuck, you can probably still use that anyway to enter and ask for a replacement card (someone in this thread alluded to ā€œduplicateā€).

Since they told @Awvelo ā€œafter 14 days isolationā€ I have a little more faith now.

I had in fact originally requested for the card to be delivered to the UK office. As far as getting in, the certificate is all I will need to get in to Taiwan at this point. I will request a special Entry Visa for my wife at the same time.

Iā€™m currently considering if a GC would be the right option for me.

Is anyone aware of instances were the gold card has been revoked due to not earning enough money? I previously earned above $160,000NT per month in the US, but I doubt I will be able to make that much in Taiwan.

Of course if I donā€™t meet the threshold I wouldnā€™t be able to re-apply after the GC expires, but does anyone know if they actually review your financial data after a year?

Whatā€™s the official source of the below text:

1 Like

I have not heard this in practice yet.
I talked to 2 GC holder that have it for more than a year, they have not had their income checked.

1 Like

The official application portal. I have a post over here with a bit more detail.

ā€¦ and, speaking of posts. If youā€™re following this thread, you may also be interested in this new one. Some of us got together to make an FAQ website for the gold card - contributions and feedback welcome.

3 Likes

Did anyone do tax yet?

Where in the windows PC e-filing software is the gold card ā€œtax rebateā€ located?

I know last year when I didnā€™t have one yet I saw a check box. This year that I have one I donā€™t see it anywhereā€¦

For folk who were self-employed (sole proprietorship), how did you prove your income?

Asking for a friend who runs his own consultancy firm and submitted his tax statement, however as the income is listed as ā€œtrade incomeā€ and not salary, the documentation was deemed insufficient.

For tax reasons he only draws a token salary from his company which will not meet the 160k requirement.

Iā€™m first-time user of this site. there is a lot of great info in this thread. thanks vm again for sharing the info.
Iā€™m working in the technology department in a bank. I applied the gold card roughly a month ago under the ā€œFinanceā€ and with the 160k+ income condition along with proofs. However, I havenā€™t heard anything back. Itā€™s pending on ā€œProfessional Review by Workforce Development Agencyā€ status for quite some time. The previous messages showed that lot of successful and speedy cases were gone thru the ā€œEconomyā€ category with this 160k income condition. Iā€™m worrying if I had made a wrong choice on picking ā€œFinanceā€ category. Should I reapply that under Economy? However, it will waste money. Or possible to amend the category?

Iā€™d love to hear your recommendation from anyone on what I should do instead. Much appreciate. :blush:

1 Like

So, So excited!!! Just received my approval and to drop off my passport at the UK TRO next week. Took a bit longer than I thought, but still a breeze overall. Timeline of process soon.

1 Like

Good progress. Keep us postedā€¦

Fyi

1 Like

Mailed passport submission to LA TECO (notarized copy) 2020-06-02, delivered two days later, notified (after asking) 2020-06-19 that they received it and I should expect July+ for the passport submission to be processed. I think they are just busy now. Tempted to amend the passport submit location/mail it to a less busy one like Seattle, since they seemed to take a few days(?) and it would help distribute the caseload if many offices are WFH anyway.

I also did notice that the number of LAX/TPE flights has returned from ~1 per week in parts of April/May (Saturdays) to 5 per week now in late June. Seattle flights are back to 2 per week in June and 3 in July.

If youā€™ve waited for long enough, you could try calling the contact list, specifically one of the first contacts or the qualifications for Finance department, to see if there are notes on your file e.g. additional information requested for Finance, or your application got stuck somewhere. Some users have reported not getting emails. Then if there are difficulties with Finance, you can ask them to switch it to Economy.

I am literally in the same boat. I just submitted unduner finance and now 'm wondering if maybe I should have chosen Economy. Please update me if you decide anything or get the situation resolved.

For some reason the image didnā€™t upload. Here it is