The Employment Gold Card Super-Thread

I’m pretty sure anyone here who has applied for the gold card applied for 3 years so I doubt many are even close to expiry. Anyone have any knowledge of when you can reapply for a new gold card (repeating the process, not extending)? Like, could I reapply after 1 year? Thinking of eventually making a career change that may cause me to no longer qualify for it and I want to maximize the the time I have on the gold card (and thus maybe qualify for APRC).

As far as I know this won’t work. A friend who runs his own firm tried this and received the following response:

“The Notice of Assessment of 2019 from Inland Revenue Authority of Singapore states the income of trade, which is not recognized as remuneration for the worker’s services/labor rendered. Please supply a photocopy of a tax statement or salary certificate showing that within 3 years prior, you hold a position with a monthly salary of at least TWD 160,000”.

For tax reasons, he doesn’t pay himself a salary, or pays himself a minimal amount I can’t recall which, therefore it is not listed as such on his tax returns.

Congratulations!

Ah, thank you, good to hear another data point at least.

They are giving me the runaround via email. I explained that I don’t have W-2 and asked for clarification on “tax certification” and they just keep sending me this quote:

Most recent monthly “salary” of at least NT$160,000 means a monthly “salary” or average monthly “salary” of NT$160,000 or above within the three years preceding the month of the application; documentary proof of salary or tax payment means one of the following:

1. “Salary” withholding certification or tax certification. But if such certification cannot be presented owing to provisions of tax law, it may, after explanation of the tax law provisions preventing its presentation, be replaced by employer’s certification.
  2. The employment contract of intended future employment in the ROC.

If it is your own firm, can you issue yourself payslips on a company letterhead? Sounds like that would be the simplest way to get around this.

Alternatively signing and backdating an employment contract which stipulates a monthly salary might work too.

I also have the same concern, given the current covid situation in the world, I think it’s probably harder to find a job in Taiwan now. I would rather keep the current job and defer my plan to Taiwan later. I’m currently in the professional review stage, and worry if it will waste some of the years of validity. Is there any later stage I can buy more times before the issue date of the gold card starts actually, i.e. the start of the three year validity?

How long did it take to this step? I’m still waiting.

I have an LLC and don’t pay myself a regular salary. I submitted the Schedule K-1 along with my 1040, which seemed to have worked.

Oh really? Interesting. I don’t have a K-1, I’d do a Schedule C, but it’s not that different. How recently did you apply?

If you check my previous posts, I have a more detailed timeline. But, I applied around May 22nd and picked up my gold card around June 25th.

1 Like

Great, I’ll take a look, thanks much!

My application is stuck on “Professional Review by Workforce Development Agency” - I called last week on Wednesday and they said it was approved, and that I should wait for “formal notification” via email. How long should I expect that to take?

The passport submission is the only other stage, and technically the guidelines state you must do it within 30 days. That said there is precedent of others taking more than 30 days, but perhaps the authorities are excusing this due to covid. You might see how long you can delay in this stage, but I’d be very careful about pushing it too much.

Glad you commented! I vaguely remembered your story and wanted to help technomad out but couldn’t find your posts through search.

1 Like

TECO in Singapore, as everything in this city, replying with a big CANNOT and tell to me I need a visa to enter Taiwan even though I have a PDF of my Resident Authorisation Form due to my approved Gold Card.

Seems Lin has managed to enter with just the PDF, will try to convince them as well, or ask to EVA Air.

I flew from SFO to TPE using the PDF + passport in early July on Eva.

I had emailed NIA and they confirmed I could do this with just a color printout and my passport. I tried emailing and calling SF TECO to double check, but never got a direct answer to my question.

The bigger issue may be that as an ARC holder, you are required to present negative Covid-19 test results within 3 days of your flight when you check in at the airport counter. The tests results in the US are seriously delayed now.

I got a status update on my application - it was forwarded to ministry of science and technology for review. I called and they said this takes about 1-2 weeks for them to verify my background. I applied under technology at the start of June and submitted supplemental proof of technology expertise about a week ago.

I thought the test thing was removed?

No, it’s in effect for foreign nationals. Eva specifically asked for it when I checked in.

“The CECC stated that foreign nationals and Hong Kong and Macao residents who have received permission to enter Taiwan, when checking in with the airline for the flight to Taiwan, must present an English-language certificate of a negative COVID-19 RT-PCR test taken within three days of boarding. They must also undergo a 14-day home quarantine period and observe other relevant epidemic prevention measures upon entry into the country. The purpose of these stipulations is to ensure safety in airplanes and airports and minimize the risk of COVID-19 community transmission in Taiwan related to foreign nationals and Hong Kong and Macao residents.”

https://www.evaair.com/en-us/about-eva-air/news/travel-news/2020-02-05-travel-restrictions.html

I thought they removed this requirement for ARC holders. Did you do the test in SF? How much did it cost you? All out of pocket or covered by work insurance?

I am not from Hong Kong or Macao, and not living in Hong Kong or Macao, so I won’t need that.
Plus I read it has been removed: https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3959537