The Employment Gold Card Super-Thread

You are a foreign national though? Best of luck to you.

I am, and as per the CECC spoke person conference in July we do not need a test, actually also for Hong Kong and Macao residents this has been removed fortunately.

I don’t see any update on the CECC website about this.

https://www.boca.gov.tw/cp-220-5691-aa1c3-2.html

Q11. Which foreign nationals are exempt from having to submit a COVID-19 negative test report obtained within the past three working days as part of their supporting documents before boarding and upon arrival in Taiwan?

A:
Personnel on diplomatic or offical business, migrant workers, and students have been listed by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Ministry of Labor, and Ministry of Education, respectively, as special cases with controllable pandemic risk. In addition, as it is problematic for recipients of emergency humanitarian assistance and persons arriving by boat to obtain a COVID-19 negative test report three working days in advance, they are exempt from this requirement. Foreign nationals holding a valid ARC are exempt from the aforementioned requirement as well. All other foreign nationals must provide such reports upon arrival in Taiwan.

3 Likes

Thanks

Guys, I have just checked with an email to EVA Air, COVID-19 Test Certificate is not needed for ARC Holders.
Hopefully this can clear the confusion, what jephhy was mentioning was true but it changed around 2/3 weeks ago I think.

3 Likes

Yes, it has been oft-discussed in facebook expat groups and right here on forumosa, hailed as a “big victory” for ARC holders.

By raising our voices to those in power, we can accomplish anything!! (/sarcasm)

I submitted it online June 15th, 2020. I got a message July 14th saying to submit my passport for approval. I then submitted it on the 16th, they said I’ll get it back on the 18th and then soon after the National Immigration Agency will email me to pick up my card.

I just learned that a friend’s son was denied boarding on Eva at LAX on July 15 for not having Covid 19 test results. Waited for 3 hours at the counter while Eva confirmed the rules with Taipei. Still denied boarding and had to rebook a few days later and pay a lot extra to do so. :frowning_face:

That’s discouraging to hear. You’d think a call to Taipei should guarantee that things will get sorted out properly.

True.
Also NIA has just replied to my email that there is no other requirement.
Maybe they got unlucky and called the wrong person.

1 Like

I got the notification today! Going to BOCA tomorrow for passport verification.

4 Likes

Just got passport notification today. Applied in the economy category June 16 but did not actually pay till June 22, so they are running right around 1 month. Has anyone had recent experience with passport verification at LA TECO? Also have to figure out how to get entry permits for the family. But good to see things moving in the right direction!

3 Likes

Is the son an ARC holder? That’s ridiculous since this reversal of the requirement has been all over the news.

Are you applying from Taiwan or from a foreign country? I also submitted on June 15 and I haven’t heard back yet; I wonder if my application is different in some way that’s causing it to process slower. I incorrectly submitted in the Science and Technology field and I know my application is going to need revision, so I’m just waiting for them to reject it so I can re-submit. Quite infuriating since I want to travel at the end of August :frowning:

Should I try calling Mr. Huang again? Last time (about a month ago) he just told me to wait until the application was rejected.

Cool, we’re submission buddies :stuck_out_tongue:

I applied online while still in Taiwan on visa-exempt status. The website required me to submit proof I had pedigree in the field so I was initially afraid to apply but then I found this article that said I can just apply in the Economics field: https://international.thenewslens.com/article/135426. Then it clicked why something like ~80% of approved gold card applicants are all in the Economics field.

If he said to wait, then you just have to wait. Your situation sounds trickier cause you have to wait for it to fail. Like waiting for software to time out :slightly_frowning_face:

Just wondering if anyone here has enough familiarity with the Taiwan Employment Gold Card to advise me. I have bachelor’s degree plus a post-grad law degree with honors from the University of Kentucky – a world top 500 university but not a top 200 university, I can speak and read conversational Mandarin but have no credentials to prove it. I lived in Taiwan for 5 years from 1988-93. I propose to apply under the Economics category to proofread international business contracts and other legal documents for a Taiwanese international law firm. I have 10 years experience doing this in Asia – 5 years in Japan and 5 years in Sanghai, but I can only prove two of these years. I do not quaify under the income category, Cnsidering the expense of the application, would it be worth it even to try? At this point I am not particularly optimistic about my chances, but I might be underestimating them.

Hi all. Another member of the club of Technology orphans migrated to Economy here :grin: Let’s hope that the outcome won’t take more than another month. Thanks to all for sharing your experiences, especially my virtual bro from the red dot @dtan : it was of great help!

I would like to trigger another sub-topic that I saw mentioned somewhere here or in another blog. Don’t get me started on the frustrating legislation and clueless officers when it comes to handling foreigners who don’t belong to the known categories of workers (外勞), English teachers or married to a Taiwanese. The Gold Card is a blessing for us professionals in this sense as we finally get some sort of recognition. There is one missing part, however, that I am pretty sure the current legislation doesn’t consider. Please prove me wrong.

If the Gold Card gives the right to reside in Taiwan, employed or not, similarly to a certain extent to Singapore’s PR, are holders allowed to freelance? Or are they allowed to set up a local company and work for it? As of now, the former is not allowed while the latter comes with pretty high turnover requirements for the company in order to maintain the ARC. I am curious to know whether the Gold Card introduces any changes, although I doubt these scenarios have event been considered by the authorities.

Let me know your view!

I can’t quote any rules, but my impression from the last few hundred posts here was that freelancing on a gold card is fine. Who h rule do you think prevents this?

Hi, and welcome to Forumosa

Here’s a video of some guy telling a government minister the gold card is popular for freelancers. The minister responds that it’s “what they designed it for”. Hope that helps :slight_smile:

The Gold Card comes with an open work permit. You can work for whoever you like, just be aware of your tax obligations.

In addition, anyone can set up a company in Taiwan and there are no restrictions on foreign ownership.

3 Likes