The Employment Gold Card Super-Thread

Confirming, this the correct email for Mrs. Jian :
wchien@wda.gov.tw

What’s Mr Huang’s email address? Not seeing anything in my initial search efforts here.

The foreigntalentact.ndc.gov.tw page seems to be down right now.

Yes, I did

1 Like

Mr. Huang does not respond to email, only phone calls (he mentioned that his inbox is too full when we called him). His number is (02) 2380-1720 (from a US telephone, that’s +886 2 2380 1720). When you call you will get a receptionist who may or may not speak English, ask for Mr. Huang and say it’s about the Gold Card. Mr. Huang himself speaks English fine (I believe—it’s not clear whether we spoke to him or one of his male coworkers in the same department, but whomever we got spoke great English).

3 Likes

Mr Huang did respond to me by email and was very helpful. My spam filter tends to catch emails from Taiwan government offices, so be sure to check junk or spam folders if you are waiting for an email.

My husband submitted under Economy. But he only submitted W2 from 2019. Do we need to submit W2 in the past 3 years? We didn’t have any income in 2018 as he was working on his personal project.

Just wanted to post an update.

I applied under the Education category on 7/9 and got my passport submission notification yesterday 7/29.
Went to BOCA Taipei today and submitted my passport. The receipt they gave me said “Date of Issuance, Aug. 6”.

Will update once I get my physical card!

2 Likes

went smoothly? Which airline did you fly in with? Thanks!

I got my gold card today!
I applied under Economy on April 22. The application took a long time because they wanted tax statements as proof of income, and they weren’t familiar with the tax documents that I submitted.

I had to call many times to make sure everything went through, but it worked out in the end.
I received the gold card approximately 2 weeks after my proof of income was accepted.

Good luck to others applying!

5 Likes

Out of curiosity what tax forms did you use? My friend is trying to apply with a Canadian ‘Notice of Assessment’, which effectively notes that the tax department agrees with your return. What’s problematic, however, is the local’s obsession with ‘salary’. If you have a regular monthly income from a contracted position (ie, a remote worker for a US company residing in Canada) it’s not going to show up as ‘salary’ but in effect it’s the same thing for the purpose of this exercise.

I only submitted a 2019 W-2 - one year should be sufficient. They don’t seem to like paystubs based on posts. Seems like a big takeaway is to go Economy category if you have a single calendar year where your income exceeds 1.92M NTD (~$65K USD) with good gov docs, applying that way is lower-friction than going in a different category.

They do the passport check on-site, the passport stays in the office, but YMMV - they said up to a week for me but it took one day.

I used the PDF post-March 19 - it worked for me on a direct flight on China Airlines. The biggest “check” is at the airline check-in point (they had to call the main office for ~30min and confirm the rules). If you are very concerned, pick a direct China Airlines or EVA flight, since other airlines may be less familiar. Also, note your ARC # in the application portal too

1 Like

My U.S. passport is set to expire in Oct, hence I’ve submitted for a renewal.

Should I wait until that comes back (says could be 90+ days due to pandemic) before even starting my Gold Card application, or should I start the process now?

Note my understanding is the passport number changes w/ the renewal.

(apology in advance if this has been covered and I missed this in my search efforts)

For those applying under the “Economy” category, what did you provide for the supporting documents (proof) for the #4 eligibility/prerequisite?

1. Those who have held a specialized or optoelectronics, information and communication, interdisciplinary positions at a semiconductors, electronic circuit design, biotechnology/medical materials, precision machinery, transportation, systems integration, consultancy, or green energy company in the manufacturing sector or related technology services sectors, and have more than eight years of work experience in related fields.

Proof of work experience of for at least eight years in relevant fields.

Thanks!

For the passport renewal, if there is an option for expedited service, pay the extra for that. Also, try calling your Congress person and explain the situation. A while back, mine was able to get my son’s passport renewal expedited.

In terms of waiting to start the GC application, someone mentioned a 30 day window for passport submission, but I don’t know all the details.

I applied under economy and only submitted W2 forms for proof of meeting the salary requirement. I did 3 years, but I think others did only 1 year.

Yes Tando posted a link somewhere in this thread (in response to my question) to the Taiwan official site that said in Chinese something to the effect of submitting your passport within 30 days. However we have an anecdote from another applicant who took around 45 days to do their submission (their TECO was closed/limited availability) and no one said anything to them about a 30 day window, so it may not be a concern at all, particularly during the covid era. of course YMMV

1 Like

Nothing.
Just 3 tax statements.

Thank you very much for the details. I will definitely be flying EVA then. Coming from Korea so it’s either Asiana or EVA. They are code sharing the flight that EVA is flying. Even though Asiana is cheaper for the same exact flight, I’ll probably book EVA just to reduce chances of issues at check-in lol!

Thanks for the tip on the ARC# in the application portal. I’ll keep that handy as well.

Curious if anyone has applied under publishing or arts here?

Yes iirc there is someone further up the thread in entertainment