The End of Western Civilization

Right…

yes, definitely. Why wouldnt they? Because of their inferior yellow genetics?

I definitely didn’t say that, scroll back.

5-10 years ago there was a case to say that everything in China was just copied. That isnt where we are now at all, not in the slightest.

1 Like

My opinion is that the system they live in will slow the innovation, not that there is no innovation at all. As a society develop, the system need to evolve. Maybe they will get it right, but not in the current political context.

:rofl:

To an extent but the performance over the last few years says otherwise. Honestly, there is shit loads of innovation in China right now and loads of venture capital. The Chinese education isnt great for creativity, but they have a shit load of people. The is also a Chinese disposition towards entrepreneurship that you see all over the Chinese speaking world.

What I think might slow things down is Xi’s clampdown on Ma and Ali and private enterprise. Alibaba is one of the most innovative companies in the world and neutering them will not be good for society. Nobody is going to want to take the big risks that startup and tech companies in China have over the last decade, because of fear of government reprisals

This is my thinking, people in China are as great as anywhere else. Someone with an advanced degree and good ethic should be trusted to explore opportunities without having to worry about breaking antiquated laws or getting in a position with too much power.

Not that it never happens in the west but it is less dramatic and there is more flexibility.

But you dont think the meteoric rise of Bytedance, Alibaba, Tencent, DJI etc is counter to that?

Gained tech leadership in a few areas.

China is big into drones and AI and consumer gadgets and apps and batteries and trains. What else are they leading in ? They’ve got a very decent pharma and biopharmaceutical industry but it doesnt match Japan in many ways (genomic and cellular medicine Japan is a leader ) let alone the West in terms of true innovation combined with rigorous scientific investigation .
They can’t make decent planes or engines. Their cars so far are stil shit. They are starting to make analytical and precision instruments but there isn’t one company in the top 20 from China I believe . For medical instruments they have Mindray but they are no Siemens or Roche. They do have a lot of mid tier medical instrument companies.

Bytedance bought musically and integrated it into their Douyin and Tiktok. They copied for China. Bought a western app and bought their way into the US.

Musical.ly was Chinese. Yes. They deserve creativity credit. Not Byte Dance.

I think they’ve learnt and setup the structure but it is going to hit a limit, because long term the fundamentals are not sound. I actually met some alibaba programmers in Beijing, they are very very good.

Bytedance is strong in its algorithms, also Musical.ly was really Chinese anyway https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musical.ly

Retail innovation they are top

1 Like

China seems to be quite strong in consumer apps but weak in business software and informatics . Lack of trust is a really big problem.

Lack of social trust due to cultural revolution basically underpins everything in China and for me is their biggest weakness, not the nonsensical lack of innovation stuff.
Its really what could unravel them and affects every level of society.

Bytedance is strong in its recommendation algorithms and machine learning that turns the app into crack cocaine for teens and morons. That wasnt Musically

In terms of business informatics nobody trusts them. In terms of freewheeling media they are also a wash.
It just leaves them the consumer space.
I forgot that are big into surveillance equipment and selling weapons and also synthetic drugs .

How do you mean business informatics. In terms of data analytics and stuff, China is really ahead, but all solutions are China focused.

A lot of stuff in China is shit as well. I have to use Baidu reguarly and its fucking shit

Autos and consumer electronics were the latest technology during that time, and Japan had a sizeable lead in those areas. Silicon Valley came later.

It’s the Jimmy Woods of the world that are the weak and destructive links in society