The Forumosan Recipe Thread

Can anyone share ideas for lockdown meals that can keep calories low? Prefer Vegetables and Fish, we eat meat now and again. Please share health conscious recipes here:

McDonald’s has a chicken salad.

3 Likes

how low?

Cook some water, add salt. Done!

2 Likes

Melissa Clark over at the New York Times is doing a series of recipes from pantry staples. I haven’t made this specific mujadara recipe, but I’ve made others, and it’s a good dish.

May be paywalled; at the bottom of this recipe, there are links to a bunch of her other recent pantry-staple ones.

3 Likes

Lots of snake juice.

Chicken fried steak with gravy

9 Likes

More health food from @Andrew0409 …

1 Like

I wouldn’t mind being stuck in quarantine with chef Andrew

3 Likes

TBH, I’ve made some disgusting creations as well haha.

I’m stuck in lockdown. Just let me enjoy my food :joy:

1 Like

Made some steak for lunch today. If you ever have a chance to come to Tuscany, make sure to try Chianina meat. It’s an ancient Italian cattle known for being “giants” with distinctive white hide.

https://www.chiaragiorleo.com/en/2018/06/05/what-about-the-famous-steak-of-chianina-from-tuscany/

7 Likes

6 Likes
Five cups of plain flour
Half a tablespoon of oregano and thyme
One tablespoon of brown ginger
Two tablespoons of garlic powder
One tablespoon of mustard powder
One tablespoon of celery salt
One tablespoon of black pepper
One third of a tablespoon of sea salt
Two tablespoons of white pepper
Four tablespoons of paprika
Egg whites (for egg wash)
Milk (for egg wash)
Chicken

“You have to have a deep fryer and you need the right mix of the herbs and spices,” he adds.

“Oil needs to be 160-165°C no more and no less.

“Chicken needs to be room temperature and you use egg white and milk as the wash (no yolk). Made it about 30 times.”

Add the selection of herbs and spices to the flour. Use three parts flour to one part self-raising flour.
Season the chicken in the mix at room temperature.
Egg wash your chicken using egg white and milk, and then re-season in the mix.
Fry the chicken for five to six minutes at 160C to 165C before placing it in a preheated 80C oven.
Before serving, fry it for 90-seconds.

All he does is add the flour to the combination of herbs and spices, using three parts flour to one part self-raising flour.

The chicken is then seasoned at room temperature and then egg washed using egg white and milk.
After seasoning the chicken once more, the chicken is fried for five to six minutes at 160°C to 165°C before being placed in a preheated oven at 80°C.

The chicken is then given an extra 90-second fry before being served up.

2 Likes

KFC is still open here!

1 Like

I think a couple of forumosans’ deep friers are being turned on as we speak.

2 Likes

@_Lilith mentioned your chicken pasta, but I’m curious

Incidentally, I made the world’s worst cornbread yesterday. I think I can do better next time though.

I did this recently, very nice. It’s nice to have fresh turmeric around these days, I just used a nice chunk. I used 3/4 cumin and 1/4 Italian spice instead of coriander powder, it was nice. I always save coriander roots when I can and keep them in the freezer for such purposes (they say stems, but roots are better). In Thailand they would fry up noodles until they’re crunchy and toss them on top at the end, but I can’t be bothered either. I just throw in some sliced shallots and “sichuan cai” at the end.

3 Likes

But remember KFC original recipe - the flavor with actual taste - hasn’t been available here in a long while.

2 Likes

I’m not afraid to be creative. I never make very traditional food, or at least follow the correct traditional recipe making it. Sometimes it turns out delicious, other times really nasty. I still mess a lot of stuff up.

1 Like