The Forumosan Recipe Thread

I have to ask where you found them. Unless youre back in the US?

Basically those brown skin hard tofu chopped into squares č±†å¹²ļ¼Œsoybean paste ē”œéŗµé†¬ļ¼Œ and some of those pickled radishes, ground pork, soy sauce, and sometimes Lima beans.

Problem is carrefour doesnā€™t really have soybean paste ā€¦

That looks awesome. Iā€™ve been meaning to try making it myself. But yes share the recipe!! And any tips in cooking it.

Ok. I have to admit that, although I love cooking, I suck at recipes. I guess the key player in jjajangmyeon would be the Korean Black bean paste.

line_1567489354444~2

First I would take a couple of deboned chicken thighs or a breast and cut it into smallish pieces. Mix with a Tbsp each crushed garlic and grated ginger. Add a bit of Shaoxing wine, soy sauce, sesame oil and white pepper. Mix well and set aside.

Prep the following into a small dice,
Small onion
2 carrots
Small daikon
Small potato (if you swing that way)
3 green onions, white ends. (Save the green parts for later)
2 strips of bacon or some pork belly.

Heat a couple of Tbsp oil in a deep pan, add the bacon and some dried chilli flakes to your taste cook the pork until it curls a bit, but not crispy.

Add the chicken and sear the outside, then add all the Vegetables along with a bit of sesame oil.
Temper all of this for, say, 10minutes.
Make a hole in the middle and add 2 Tbsp of Black bean paste. Loosen the paste up with the oil in the pan and heat it through before mixing it throughout the ingredients.
Add a couple of good shots of soy sauce and a bit more Shaoxing. Finally add water to cover and let it simmer for half an hour before reducing the sauce. It should thicken on itā€™s own. You can add a bit of cornstarch solution if needed.
Slice the remaining green onions and julienne a cucumber. Make a couple of very soft boiled eggs.
Finally, prepare your favorite noodles (we like rice noodles).
Plate the noodles with a soft boiled egg on the side, then ladle the sauce over top. Add cucumber, and green onion.
Mix the sauce into the noodles in your own plate or bowl and get it down your neck while still scalding hot.
Chase with shots of kaoliang.
Enjoy!

6 Likes

Thanks for posting a pic of the beans you used. Helps when shopping.

1 Like

Hereā€™s another Korean Dish that you need to make a TON of because of the work involved. I canā€™t even remember the name :thinking:

IMG_20191025_124317
Wing beans cooked in Tamarind (Sayur Asem) and batter fried tempeh (tempe Mendoan)

1 Like

Is that supposed to be Yukgeajung? Iā€™ve never seen a Korean dish like it. It looks very Taiwanese/Chinese style.

I bought the tortilla flour at City Super. The press is from the US. Iā€™ve seen it at Jasonā€™s too.

Made some American Chinese style orange chicken today.

image image image

9 Likes

I made some Cajun dirty rice with Italian sausages as ground beef and some shrimp. I messed up because I didnā€™t realize bell peppers shrink so much. I thought I put a lot, but they became so small.

2 Likes

I thought dirty rice had chicken livers in it. Thatā€™s what makes it look dirty.

1 Like

Is it? This is my recipe. I usually never make things 100% authentic add my personal touches for what I like.

Gave the Xinjiang lamb skewers a go. Phwoar so much flavour

11 Likes

What is on them? I bought some lamb at Costco and this looks like a good use for it.

I used this as a guide; mainly cumin and chilli flakes, salt fennel garlic and shaoxing wine

3 Likes

@Uncreativeusername, you still in Taiwan, or cooking back home?

Cumin is not the easiest ingredient to find in Taiwan, and I feel like I have to use a massive amount of it. Carrefour does not have it.

They should, at least the seeds, theyā€™re quite easy to find. You can dry roast them in a wok and grind them in a morter to get powder, very easy.

3 Likes

As tempogain posted, cumin seeds are pretty easy to find - Iā€™ve certainly bought them at Carrefour, but that chainā€™s selection varies widely by the branch.

Ground cumin isnā€™t so easy to find, especially in the multiple tablespoon amounts many recipes call for. I usually order it through iHerb.