The Forumosan Recipe Thread

I heard horror stories from people about custom troubles with iherb. Has the situation changed? I have been afraid to order from them for this reason.

My PX Mart and/or Wellcome always have ground cumin.

If all else fails, Trinity will have powder and seeds, and lots of other stuff you may have been getting online.

http://www.indianstoretaiwan.com.tw/

Whoa, three friggin locations, jeez.

5 Likes

I was having paperwork hassles a few years ago, but lately itā€™s been pretty smooth. See over in that thread.

I forgot about Trinity for cumin - yeah, theyā€™d be probably be good for larger amounts.

1 Like

I usually can find ground cumin at Wellcome.

This is my kinda thread! :drooling_face:

Iā€™ve found a ā€œcumin and spicesā€ blend at Carrefour that tastes pretty cumin-y to me. I just use that.

I love cooking. Iā€™ve been working on taking my favorite familiar recipes and making them a bit more Taiwan-ified so that Iā€™m using fresher, more affordable ingredients, and also just trying to assimilate better into the culture here in general (lived here a little less than a year now but likely here for the long term). Anyone have any great go-to substitutes?

Here are some of my latestā€¦

Pork tenderloin marinated in soy sauce, rice vinegar, honeyā€¦uhā€¦I forget what else, then reduced the sauce to pour over the top and served with roasted sweet potatoes

I LOVE making French toast with the thick sliced milk toast from 7-11

Fish tacos made with the aforementioned cumin :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Having Chili for lunch.

If you canā€™t see the recipe, DM me and Iā€™ll send it to you. (Edit. Grrrr never walk and text)

3 Likes

I found this channel, it looks good!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkRBu0K655809AdvDajyJJA

2 Likes

Yeah Iā€™m subscribed to it. Really good stuff but more on the advanced level. And only practical for those in Asia.

No Chinese supermarkets out your way?

This looks awesome.

1 Like

Oh no plenty. But the cooking method would be hard to replicate. My stove doesnā€™t have BTU power of 25,000. LOL

Ahh yes that is a problem :slight_smile: Iā€™d have to get one of those stoves I think :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well seems like my experience when in Taiwan, the BTU on the gas stoves was plenty to do these recipes. US stoves arenā€™t designed to deliver gas in the same manner/higher temp. Thatā€™s would really makes it good. Searing the food in a short time at high temp.

Yep, I totally agree. I mean that if I ever move back to the US I will have to get one of those stoves, I know my Chinese neighbor has one lol

1 Like

Might be expensive. Iā€™ve been searching for the last year for a wok station for my place, or at the very least something I can DIY with two burner stovetop like Taiwan households have.

When I was shooting houses, I came across one but this was in a $1M + house. LOL.

Best bet is to secure one there and send it to the States.

Iā€™m pretty sure that would be more expensive, but Iā€™m from the NYC area.

1 Like

NYC, huh. :thinking: IDK just those letters makes everything expensive. LOL.

Might have to find it at a restaurant equipment store and then youā€™re paying more in tariffs for thing than for itself :joy::joy:

By the way I tried making Cincinnati Chili. But because beef is expensive in Taiwan and Iā€™m poor I use ground pork.

Ground pork
Ground cumin
Italian Spice
Chili powder
Cinnamon
Tomato paste
Tomato sauce
salt
pepper
spaghetti noodle
sharp cheddar cheese

I heard all spice is needed but I have no clue where to get those in Taiwan. Normally they have those packet made by McCormick and you would just add cinnamon to it and serve it with cheese on top.

But I cook the ground pork, add the spice to taste (I really donā€™t know the exact ratios) and I use a LOT of cumin. If I have all spice Iā€™d use themā€¦

But you cook the thing long enough (probably about 2 hours) for the flavor to really take in, and then you cook the spaghetti noodle and add the sauce. Then you sprinkle shredded cheddar over it.

Iā€™m sure using ground beef makes it taste much better but again, theyā€™re expensive here so I use pork which is much cheaper, but it tastes offā€¦

Thatā€™s true too, but there are a lot of Chinese people around and they must have a line on some stoves! Heck it canā€™t be more expensive than a real stove, right? I can live with a convection oven lol

1 Like

Yeah beef is kind of pricey in Taiwan. More so than normal. And not usually very good.

1 Like

Whatā€™s the going price for a ꖤļ¼Ÿ