The Forumosan Recipe Thread

Trinity seems to!

http://www.indianstoretaiwan.com.tw/index.php?route=product/category&path=2&page=3

Iā€™m not sure. I rarely bought beef tbh. I usually get chicken, pork, and fish. The pork in Taiwan is pretty good imo. And in a lot of dishes like the chili, I suspect you wonā€™t really taste that much of a difference with all those other ingredients.

Oh manā€¦youā€™ve been out of the loop for a moment. :joy: Yea I guess you could ask around but start with the restaurant folks first. But then you also have to take into account the gas lines in the US. They donā€™t pipe out gas at the same level. So now you have to get a plumber to come in refit your gas line for it. Can be done but so many small variables to account for.

Oh the pork there is to die for. I miss it. The black pork kiss chefā€™s fingers de-lish!

I am firmly out of the loop. Itā€™s probably better to think of me as Taiwanese :slight_smile: But my neighbor did it, and sheā€™s hardly rich or anything. But she did have a restaurant.

1 Like

Neighbor in Taiwan? Or the States?

:white_check_mark:

1 Like

I feel like all Cantonese people have one in the US. All of my Cantonese friends had one of those strong stove for woks in their garage or somewhere they can vent the air outside.

1 Like

This ladyā€™s Taiwanese actually! Right in the kitchen. Itā€™s probably illegal lol

1 Like

I tried making dumpling in the states and the pork you buy there, even from Chinese markets, are terrible. Too lean and so tastes dry. Cut of pork makes a HUGE difference.

Yepā€¦empasis on her working in/at a restaurant. She probably got it from a restaurant equipment supply joint.

Either way, I say go for it.

1 Like

Itā€™ll be a miracle if I ever get back there anyway, and Iā€™ll probably have other priorities :slight_smile:

1 Like

Donā€™t come back. Oy veyā€¦the rent, food and health Care is just too damn high! :joy:

Iā€™m trying to figure out how to leave.

1 Like

When I try a new recipe I like to photograph the process. I made this Cider-Braised Chicken & Mushrooms tonight and I thought it was delicious.

Ingredients:

• 4 skinless chicken thighs
  • Ā½ tsp (2.5 ml) salt
  • Ā¼ tsp (1.25 ml) pepper
  • 1 tbsp (15 ml) olive oil, divided
  • 2 large green onions, thinly sliced
  • 280 grams mushrooms, quartered (about 4 cups)
  • 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
  • 2 tsp chopped fresh thyme or Ā½ tsp dried thyme
  • Ā¾ cup (180 ml) hard apple cider
  • Ā½ cup (100 ml) chicken broth
  • 1 tbsp (15 ml) grainy mustard

Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Heat half of the olive oil over med-high heat and lightly brown the chicken, about 3 minutes on each side. Remove the chicken.

Add the remaining oil to the pan and sautĆ© the mushrooms and green onion until the mushrooms are browned, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and thyme and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. (These mushrooms didnā€™t brown much)

Reduce the heat to medium, add the chicken broth, cider, and mustard. Bring to a simmer.

Add the chicken back into the pan, cover, and simmer until the chicken is cooked through, about 8 minutes.

Remove the lid and simmer uncovered about 5 more minutes, or until the sauce has reduced to half.

The next time I make this Iā€™m going to double the amount of mustard because I like a more tangy flavor. Otherwise, tasty!

8 Likes

Looks really good. I may give it a try.

1 Like

I never had much pork in Australia
Living in Taiwan gave me the impression pork is kinda the poor manā€™s meat
but my dad who dislikes pork said it was better in Taiwan

Licked the screen, I did. That looks good. Good job!

Forgot to take photos. For this weekā€™s work lunch

1. Pork chops in Lemon caper sauce

2. Arroz con grandules

3. Pollo Al Horno

4. Japanese potato salad

2 Likes

All of these sound great. Yesterday I made lamb kofta with hummus, tzatziki, cassava flour tortillas. Iā€™ve got some chickpeas left so I think Iā€™ll make chana masala tonight.
Cooking your own food makes it affordable.

5 Likes

Yes. Also significantly more healthy. You know what youre putting in.

1 Like

I want to make this Kung Pow shrimp!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzwWH6dLy_k

1 Like