The Forumosan Recipe Thread

There are a lot of people in Taiwan who does not eat beef because I guess they felt it was bad karma to eat cattle. So pork and chicken is kinda the default meat here. If you ever buy pizza slices at Costco they ask you if its ok for you to eat beef.

Do you have a recipe for the tortillas? I tried making them once and it was an epic fail. Thanks in advance

So basically the Chi-Fil A cow protest worked there?

OK, next Iā€™m trying that pollo al horno recipe :yum:

1 Like

Youā€™ll need sazĆ³n for the seasoning salt.
Hereā€™s a recipe for one :
2 TBSP salt
2 tsp blk pepper
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp oregano
2 tsp turmeric
2 tsp onion powder

Blend together in a spice milk (aka your coffee grinder) or food processor.

Reduce the salt if too salty to you.

As for the sofrito, herā€™s is more on the Dominican side. Let me know if you want a recipe for the Puerto Rican version.

1 Like

I watched the video of her making the sofrito chicken and my mouth is watering.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oQvDU3AYdU&feature=youtu.be

1 Like

Mine came out okay. If you use pinwheel cuts, the chicken may need to cook for the 1 hr 15 mins but if you use pieces adjust time. My thighs came out a bit dry except for the one I had brined.

I made Gongbao Chicken last night. This site is my recipe go to, but it takes an internet deep dive at this point

https://web.archive.org/web/20110430022810/http://whereischefwang.com:80/cook.htm

3 Likes

Good to know. Did you marinate overnight?

@Steve4nLanguage I just realized I posted a recipe for Adobe not Sazon :woman_facepalming:t4::woman_facepalming:t4:

1 Like

Well I threw an extra thigh I had brined from an earlier batch in there. But no I didnā€™t marinate overnight because I forgot to take the meat out. LOL. But I did same day/for four hours.

I think it was a bite dry because I didnā€™t cook according to the time needed for thighs alone.

@Steve4nLanguage

https://youtu.be/vNwXucpzrBI

1 Like

Is the annatto vital, or only for color. I ask because I donā€™t know how available it is in Taiwan.

I brought a bag of cassava flour with me. It seems to be like tapioca flour except cassava flour has the fiber.
They cooked up just like corn tortillas in terms of working with the dough, but they taste like flour tortillas.
With the tortilla press, it took less than 10 minutes to make and another 10 minutes for my flatmate to devour them.
I used this recipe.
3/4 cup cassava flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 T olive oil
1/3 cup of warm water.
Heat a dry griddle or skillet while mixing the above ingredients.
Shape in 6 balls. No gluten so no need to rest after mixing.
Using 2 sheets of plastic wrap, press with a tortilla press or roll into tortillas.
On high heat, griddle one side for a minute. Flip and griddle for a minute. Flip again and press gently with spatula to get it to puff. This is the magical step that makes the tortillas poof. Griddle until your desired level. Maybe another minute depending on how hot your griddle is.

1 Like

My understanding itā€™s more color than flavor. So it can be subbed.

Hereā€™s whatā€™s in the Goya brand :
MONOSODIUM GLUTAMATE, SALT, DEHYDRATED GARLIC, CUMIN, YELLOW 5, TRI- CALCIUM PHOSPHATE (ANTI-CAKING AGENT), CORIANDER, ANNATTO (COLOR), RED 40.

You can replicate this (minus the Tri-calcium, yellow 5 and annatto and red 40) by using MSG, salt, garlic powder, cumin, coriander and sweet paprika. If you really have some $$ toss in some saffron.

But hereā€™s a recipe from Epicurious.

1 tablespoon garlic powder

• 1 tablespoon onion powder
  • 1 tablespoon ground cumin
  • 1 tablespoon ground turmeric
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 2 tablespoons salt
  • 2 tablespoons ground achiote or sweet paprika

Hope this helps.

Thanks. I bought cassava flour about six months ago to make some. First attempt (after looking at a gazillion recipes) was a failure. Iā€™ll give yourā€™s a try when I make pernil.

Tonightā€™s dinner

LEMON GARLIC SPAGHETTI

Serves : 4

Ingredients

ā€¢ 450 grams of spaghetti

ā€¢ 60 millilitres of olive oil, or 1 1/2 TBSP of butter

ā€¢ 1 red chilli (finely chopped)

ā€¢ 1/2 a lemon (the juice), or 1 TBSP of Real Lemon

ā€¢ 15 grams of parsley (finely chopped)

ā€¢ 1 Tbsp Parmesan

Preparation Steps

1. Boil a pan of water and put in the pasta to cook.

2. While the pasta is cooking, put some oil in a saucepan and heat. Gently fry the garlic and chilli for a few minutes (donā€™t let them brown too much).

3. Drain the pasta and add it into the saucepan. You can turn off the heat.

4. Mix the pasta, garlic and chilli together, add a little bit more oil, the parsley and the lemon juice. Add parmesan cheese. It is now ready to serve.

6 Likes

How does one finely chop olive oil? :thinking:

2 Likes

Wow! you got that eagle eye