The Forumosan Recipe Thread

I learned the terminology today as well because in the US we always call it Shepherd’s Pie but never use lamb.

I love calzone but never considered making it myself. I’ll check out the recipe.

Exactly, since I live alone these dishes last me a good 3-4 meals or more.

1 Like

Yeah I thought my mom made shepherds pie reasonably often when I was a kid but now I suspect it was always cottage pie. She grew up in England: she should know better!

It’s an interesting calzone: a friggin big 12” pie, served in wedges. I love it but have almost no calzone history to compare it to.

Oh for what it’s worth there are a bunch of different polenta or cornmeal casseroles out there, tamale pie for example. I generally prefer those to any mashed potato toppings I’ve tried, but I’ve never made any mashed potato ones myself. I need to give it a shot.

Tonight I made Creamy Vegan Ramen for the first time, and it was soooo delicious! I’m not a big ramen eater, and definitely not a vegan, but my friend sent me the recipe video and it looked so good I had to try it. The combination of the coconut cream, fresh veggie stock, mushrooms, and soy/sesame/chili oils created a perfect spicy/umami flavor.

The recipe is here (I think the chef has a very pleasant voice):

Mine doesn’t look exactly the same (once I stirred the broth more it did change to a more curry-like color) but the taste is superb. I also made my own veggie stock the day before which I’m sure helped the flavor. The stock recipe is here:

I’m sure I’ll be making this again :yum:

2 Likes

This was super easy and delicious

3 Likes

Tonight I made Thai marinated steak with nam jim jaew dipping sauce.

The marinade is made with soy sauce, oyster sauce, lime juice, garlic, pepper, sugar, and oil. But it’s that dipping sauce that blew me away. I want to dip everything in it…I’m addicted!

The nam jim jaew ingredients are tamarind sauce, fish sauce, lime juice, toasted rice powder, green onion, sugar, and chili flakes. It has the perfect combination of sweet, salty, sour, and spicy flavors :yum:

Making the tamarind sauce from the paste involved a bit of work but it was worth it for that unique sour taste.

Recipe video is here:

Written recipe is here:

10 Likes

They look really good

1 Like

Bacon chocolate chip cookies?

There are probably as many recipes for borscht as there are borscht makers.

My Ukranian grandmother said that it is never the same twice. Sometimes there are beef bones, sometimes a pig’s jaw, sometimes just bacon fat.

Sometimes she even made a kind of “white borscht” without beets, just cabbage and other vegetables and dill.

Anyways, the menu at our place today is grandma’s borscht with smetana.

ezgif.com-gif-maker (2)

7 Likes

@TaipAmy wanted to know the bilingual Taiwnese cookbook I use, so I’m posting the information here because it seems more appropriate.

Here’s the cover and a page with more info like the ISBN number:

Here’s the table of contents:

And here’s a sample recipe (I cook this one a lot so excuse the oil-spattered pages!)

7 Likes

looks like a good one. thanks for posting :slight_smile:

My neighbor’s mango tree mostly gives us ants and leaves, but this year it has been gracing our side of the fence line with delicious mangoes. I’m embarrassed to say that I have more fruit than I know what to do with.
I used some that were still a bit firm, not 100% ripe, and a couple of tart apples to make a beautiful crisp.
Cinnamon, nutmeg and a little vanilla spice the topping.
I drizzled a bit of scotch over the top before topping with ice cream. Delicious.

EDIT- recipe added @tempogain

Mango Apple Crisp

Ingredients
2 tart apples, peeled, cored, halved and sliced
4 small mangoes, peeled and sliced (these should be a little bit less ripe than you would normally eat as plain fruit)
1 Tbsp granulated sugar
1 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon, divided
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp vanilla extract or pinch of vanilla powder
1 1/2 tsp lemon or lime juice
1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar (or more to taste)
3/4 cup rolled oats
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cold unsalted butter, diced into small cubes
Pinch of salt

Preheat oven to 350 F degrees. Butter an 8×8 baking dish. Set aside.

In a mixing bowl, add sliced apples and mangoes, granulated sugar, vanilla 3/4 tsp of the cinnamon and the lemon juice.
(At this point, if the mangoes are very juicy, I would also sprinkle with 1 heaping Tbsp flour) Stir to combine, then transfer to prepared baking dish. Smooth to a compacted uniform height.

In a separate mixing bowl, add topping ingredients (brown sugar, oats, flour, 1 tsp cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and diced cold butter). Use a pastry cutter to cut the butter into the oat mixture, using a slight downward twisting motion, until mixture resembled pea-sized crumbs. Alternatively, you can use two forks or even your hands to cut butter into the mixture.

Spread topping over apples in baking dish, and gently pat to even it out. Bake 40-50 minutes, until golden brown and bubbly.

Serve warm with vanilla ice cream And a drizzle of dark rum :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Re-ci-pe! Re-ci-pe!

2 Likes

I’ll edit it tomorrow with the recipe. Is it easy to get brown sugar in Taiwan or a kind of low refined palm sugar?

Yes.

Done!

1 Like

:people_hugging:

1 Like

Recipe sounds delicious! I rarely buy apples so I wonder, are tart apples readily available here?

A Fuji will work?

You could probably use a Fuji and omit the sugar in the fruit base.
Ideally a Spartan or Granny Smith.

Here in Indonesia we have a nice tart apple variety called Apel Malang, from, er, Malang, E Java.

You could also use a semi ripe pear like Bartlett or Packham. Asian pear won’t work.

I wonder what it would be like to include dried persimmon?

In Canada we often make this recipe with rhubarb, crab apples or Saskatoon berries.

images (46)

2 Likes

Extra mangoes go in the freezer. I’ll let them harden before bagging so that I can use them piece by piece in my breakfast oats.

4 Likes