The Good News Thread

Méntrida was trailing Britain’s James Teagle in the closing stages of the Santander Triathlon, only for Teagle to get confused when he saw a red banner that he thought marked the finish line

With Mentrida hot on his heels, the Briton then careered into barriers lining the course with spectators telling him to turn around.

Méntrida overtook his rival but stopped just short of the finish line. The pair shook hands as Teagle crossed the line first to take the final podium spot.

5 Likes

Maybe old news, but I just learned about it today:

4 Likes

Never heard/seen Keith Urban as a singer, but this concert attendee did extremely well under the quick spotlight. The comments do him well, too.

1 Like

But his work comes at a cost - Hussain Sagar is heavily polluted and Shiva, who dives into the water regularly with no gear or suit, says he has developed skin rashes and caught other ailments, including a bout of typhoid.

“There is no time to put on any gear. You have to react fast. If you see someone jump, you have to jump right away.”

The lake also smells foul during the summer and snakes are commonly found on its shores, but Shiva has no plans to move on.

“I want to stay here,” he says. “Only if I stay here, I can save lives. The satisfaction of saving a life is supreme.”

4 Likes
4 Likes

That’s beautiful!
I just wish it wasn’t necessary… :disappointed_relieved:

1 Like

Yeah…I also wish they had come up with this idea sooner! And that it becomes widespread.

2 Likes
6 Likes

Beautiful! :disappointed_relieved:

1 Like

Paying people’s rent. “Are you an angel?”

2 Likes

:sob: :sob:

1 Like

That good Samaritan drove Marchessault to a tire store, where they were able to change them on the spot.

But Marchessault was done with driving.

“I’m not usually one to throw in the towel, but I threw in the towel,” she said.

“I told my husband: Border patrol can just come and get us where we are. That’s the only way we’re leaving Canada at this point.”

Friendly Canadians make spirits bright

The Marchessaults found a motel and went to bed. That’s when the kind folks in and around Wonowon, British Columbia, got to work, putting out a plea on Facebook for someone to drive the Marchessaults, their truck and their U-Haul the last 1,056 miles to the border. The trip takes a good driver, familiar with the perilous Alaska Highway, about two days.

2 Likes

Bittersweet, but at least the man is now free:

1 Like

So how did that Canadian man get back to BC?

The CNN story linked above doesn’t say, but other reports do:

While they were on the road [heading to the Alaska border], Bath’s friends, his provincial MLA and strangers were working to find a way to get him back home.

An RCMP officer in Beaver Creek gave him a ride from the American border back to Beaver Creek and found him a ride to Whitehorse. Donations from the public paid for Bath’s airfare from Whitehorse to Fort St. John.

Source: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/yukon-alaska-highway-stranded-family-bath-winter-1.5813003

And btw: As Canadian forumosans will know about the highways in that part of northern BC, the Georgia woman and her family heading to Alaska should be grateful that they are white and not Indigenous. Stories dealing with that issue however are pretty much the opposite of what any caring person would call “good news”…

Guy

2 Likes

Here’s one from Taichung—perhaps to be filed in the better-late-than-never folder:

Guy

4 Likes

Uh oh, I hope my scooter that got stolen fifteen years back doesn’t get returned to me… all the papers had expired, I’d stopped using it, didn’t know how to get rid of it, and was relieved when it disappeared one day.

1 Like

Well should this machine be returned to you’d have a really good excuse for this in 2020!

Guy

1 Like

Not sure where to put this, but awesome story!

4 Likes