The Great Run On Toilet Paper 2018 & 2020 & 2021 & 2022!?

Ummm, nope. Click it and it is sold out.

1 Like

Ok, bought some at Costco zhonghe. They have plenty. 2 brands with a limit of 1 per card. Not bad. My saga for TP is over. Have enough for a few days now.

1 Like

I have a theory of the political background behind this: people who do not trust democracy, who yearn for the good old glory days, people who buy into the Taiwan is a mess, Taiwan economy sucks, only a strong hand can save us from chaos, will fear their fears come true and hence buy compulsively. Same folk that are the ideal prey of those cheat rings that tell them they are cops and they have to deposit all their money in another account or go to jail.

1 Like

Had to look that one up bum gun

Here’s the source about shortage of TP:

" The three women allegedly claimed on messaging app Line that the paper pulp used to make toilet paper is also used in the production of masks, which would result in an imminent shortage …"

But,

"… government officials refuted the rumor in a statement saying that “the ingredients for toilet paper are different from those for producing masks.”

And,

"The suspects are part of a home products direct-sales business group: a 69-year-old woman surnamed Liao (廖) and her two subordinates, both surnamed Chen (陳), aged 40 and 33, Hsiao said.

The trio likely aimed to benefit financially from the rumor, as their wares include toilet paper and paper towels, Hsiao added."

It has to have been at least a lot of years since reports came out showing that soaps claiming to be “antibacterial” were bs. When will people understand how soap works? You scrub the surface (your hands, a desk, the floor) with it, the germs get lifted off, everything scrubbed up (grime, viruses, bacteria) goes down the drain when rinsed with water. That’s doesn’t mean the bacteria on the surface is all dead, is just means most of it has been washed away. Yey for not breeding superbugs!
https://www.fda.gov/consumers/consumer-updates/antibacterial-soap-you-can-skip-it-use-plain-soap-and-water

2 Likes

My late father swore that “Roll your own” Cigarette papers were very effective when TP wasn’t available in its usual form. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

Either your dad had an exceptionally small butthole, or was using exceptionally large rolling papers.

His method (so he said) was to punch a hole through with one finger. At that point mother gave him a good elbow to his ribs and he shut up. The rest was left to our imagination. He did have a bad case of toilet humor.

1 Like

I know how soap works. I was simply saying stores are sold out.

regular soap works by mechanically removing germs from your hands, antibacterial soap contains chemicals that can kill bacteria or inhibit their growth. And apparently that old wash -off-the-germs method works just as well as the kill-them-on-contact approach.

So either would be fine.

But in times where you can’t rinse your hands, a nice gel sanitizer would be nice to have. But sold out also.

Oh I wasn’t implying that you don’t know how soap works. I meant that more as “why are people in general stocking up on antibacterial soap when regular soap does just fine”.

And yes, the lack of access to alcohol and hand sanitizer at the moment for those times when hand washing is not available is certainly inconvenient

1 Like

Is it safe yet to declare the 2020 Great Run on TP over?

All grocery stores in Sanxia I went to are fully stocked with all the usual brands.

These were Wellcome, Carrefour and two PX Marts.

Bleach was back too.

Hand soap is still scarce though.

1 Like

Guys it seems that the disinfectants like Dettol and Lysol are bad for pets. Like kill dead bad. So please do not use them, nope, nowhere near them.

1 Like

Yikes! Is that the spray stuff or the wipe stuff or just generally the stuff in them? I thought I scored big time finding a bunch of Clorox wipes today but I’ll have to be sure not to use them at home if they’re poisonous to pets. But also, if they’re poisonous to pets they can’t be great for humans??

I also need to look into this. I’ve been using Clorox wipes for years. Two cats. And now that I think of it, most of those wipes are used for cleaning up their messes.

Oh no. You never use Clorox near cats. Liver failure danger.

I guess the toilet paper shortage is even worse than I thought.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/armed-gang-steals-toilet-paper-rolls-in-panic-buying-hit-hong-kong-1.4814857

2 Likes

A delivery man was threatened by three knife-wielding men who took toilet paper worth more than HK$1,000 ($130)

What a heist!

:rofl:

Scored a couple bottles of Biore antibacterial foam hand soap at Poya today. You can really feel the alcohol in it after you wash your hands. Pretty good.

2 Likes

The toilet paper BS continues. Had to buy some laundry detergent today and went over the TP aisle just out of curiosity. ALL shelves empty. Only tissues remaining were those little packs you can carry in a purse/bag. Single use pack. I thought the madness was over at least here in taiwan.

This was in a fairly large PX Mart.

2 Likes