The Great Run On Toilet Paper 2018 & 2020 & 2021 & 2022!?

The Carrefour by me was running real low on canned anything (veggies, beans, soups) on Sunday, yet everyone I talk to tells me I shouldn’t “stock up” because “that’s what leads to shortages”…?

I’m conflicted. In the US, I’d do a week’s worth of grocery shopping and get a decent stock-up of staples, maybe even perishables like meat that can be thrown in the freezer and used a week or more later, but here (at the moment, not usually) I almost feel like I should be ashamed of doing the same thing because everyone keeps telling me I’ll contribute to the panic. Yeah but we’re an island surrounded by plague on all sides!

Also, canned food here is hecka expensive. Like 1.5-3x more than in the States. And dried lentils, etc easy to store proteins are only at Jasons (and that’s tiny bags for like NT$180 or something crazy) What gives?

2 Likes

Carrefour stocking is typically like that anyway - the cans run low over a couple of months, and then one day they’re restocked.

Not sure where you are in Taiwan, but Trinity Indian has plenty of lentils and other legumes, usually cheaper than Jason’s I believe. You can often find different beans at local markets as well. I think the high prices are because that sort of stuff is pretty much only bought by the narrow organic / health market here, but I’ve wondered about the prices as well. Most of that, I actually order from iHerb.

2 Likes

Um…what shortage?
This was today at Carrefour.

Plenty of stuff.

2 Likes

@SuiGeneris What the heck Carrefour is this?? The one by Neihu Costco has been an absolute mess of empty shelves and boxes on the floor for weeks… unless I happen to always go at a bad time?

3 Likes

Sanxia BeiDa

4 Likes

Thanks for the tip. I don’t know how I forgot about Indian markets.

It’s still shocking to me that anywhere else on earth the “rice and beans diet” is a poor man’s diet, but in Taiwan, you’re spending the same as you would for pricier proteins…

Too much of a hike for me, but thanks for the heads up!

3 Likes

The only way you will be safe from Wuhan virus.

12 Likes

I might stockpile oatmeal and raisins. Oatmeal is cheap here and is a good emergency food.

1 Like

Costco just emailed me about a sale for 250 off charmin ultra soft

???

Even in times of great strife, the Taiwanese won’t Spring for the good stuff?

5 Likes

Women fighting in a Sydney Supermarket over Toilet Paper today.

5 Likes

What I love is that the world used to laugh at the Taiwanese: "Look at those dumbfucks stockpiling toilet paper! :joy: "
Now they’re all following suit. :rofl:

Seriously, though, what sort of idiot would stockpile toilet paper instead of essentials, like food and Scotch?

Guy

7 Likes

Cause we’re world leaders!

Taiwan Number 1

2 Likes

At least we hoarded in an orderly manner. Lol.

1 Like

The two Women have since attended a Police Station and have both been charged with “Affray” and will appear in court in the coming weeks.

When found guilty, both should be sentenced to 1 months community service - the service to be to clean Public Toilets!!!

1 Like

7 Likes

7 Likes

1 Like

It seems everyone wants to die with a glistening clean ring piece.

1 Like

Never buy bog roll again, the past is here again, https://www.ladbible.com/news/inspirational-mum-makes-her-own-reusable-toilet-rolls-and-sells-them-for-25-each-20200308