The Haj slaughters 1 million sheep

If it helps in fording rivers and streams.

Interesting how the thread digressed into a bit of a veggie vs. meat eater war of words. Dave’s Girl, I’ve been a strict veggie for 28 years, trust me, it never pays to argue the ethics of vegetarianism with die hard carnivores like Sandy. A general comment: For me vegetarianism is a very personal thing, I couldn’t care less if someone else eats meat, and I totally understand why they do so, and how much they enjoy it. I’ve never attacked anyone for being a carnivore, but I’ve been amazed over the years how many people have challanged my choice not to eat meat - often in a pretty aggressive way. I’m still not sure what it is about veggies that irks so many meat eaters. As I recall this topic has been whipped to death on other threads, sorry.

Now, back to Lane119’s original post…

I find this notion a bit confusing. Is this at all a serious assertion? If so, what’s it based on? If anything, we are going to be “ruled” by nouveau riche, atheistic Chinese in the future. Learn to speak Chinese really well now, open a mandarin buxhiban in Cleveland, Toulouse, or Sao Paulo now, so you can get in on the ground floor of the wave of the future because the balance of power in the world is shifting fast.

Uruguay, Brazil and Argentina have ENORMOUS ranches, they export their beef and sheep all over the world. In this day of 8,000 container behemoths sailing the seas with refrigerated cargo - ain’t no big deal at all to ship meat. In fact the Chinese President Hu Jintao was just in South America buying up all kinds of South American meat, as well as hundreds and hundreds of millions of dollars of other raw materials to fuel China’s surging economy. (Meanwhile the U.S. is spending similar sums in the Middle East in the name of world peace and democracy…)

[quote]That’s a lot of blood on the floor.

Last year 250 human pilgrims were trampled to death in this annual ritual. One million sheep slaughtered.

Why do they do it? One Egyptian scholar, banned in Egypt, says the Hajj pilgrimage is a pre-Muslim thing, pre-dating Mohammed. What’s the story here?[/quote]

Not sure what’s so unusual about the Hajj, or it’s attendant rites. Sure, it’s a huge event, and people and animals die in the process, but…

I suppose it’s stating the obvious to mention that about 45 million turkeys are raised and slaughtered each year, in factory like farms to supply the Thanksgiving tables of Americans - that’s about 675 million pounds of white and dark meat, according to Google. And each year at least one person is trampled to death while waiting on line to get into the sales that follow that holiday.

And if you read Dan Brown, or Google it, or study history, you’ll learn that Dec. 25 was a Pagan holiday co-opted by Pope Julius I, in 350 AD, in order to make the new religion more palatable to the pagan masses. The history of the spread of the world’s great religions is full of such examples of expedient adaptation (again, I’m stating the obvious here). Many if not most of the present day trappings of Christmas have pagan, or non religious origins, too.

Islam holds that the Ka

Birkenstocks with hairy socks. Riles me up every time. :wink:
But I’m not really a carnivore as I rarely eat meat.

:ponder: Some very curious disconnects going on in this thread

Or all the environmental damage done at Christmas time. :smiling_imp:

Sure, why not?

Please allow me to introduce myself
I’m a man of wealth and taste…

I’ve been called far worse things than a devil. Doesn’t bother me in the slightest, but I prefer Lucifer or even Beelzebub – they have a much nicer ring to them.

[quote=“sandman”]Please allow me to introduce myself
I’m a man of wealth and taste…
I’ve been called far worse things than a devil. Doesn’t bother me in the slightest, but I prefer Lucifer or even Beelzebub – they have a much nicer ring to them.[/quote]

Hmm… Yeah, I guess what is puzzling us is the nature of your game. :ponder:

:whistle:

Fortunately…some sheep have survived.

…little love dolls…

Where do you get those?

The lipstick and bows in the hair are a nice touch, eh?

From a Scottish erotica catalog.

OOC

From a Scottish erotica catalog.

OOC[/quote]
Actually no. Those are usually advertised in a much seamier, darker side of Scottish culture, the infamous mail order brides business. Look at the eyes – those are New Zealand sheep, considered by some older and uglier Scots to be more “exotic” and “submissive” than their native counterparts.

[quote=“Hobbes”]Is it possible that sandman

Evil gremlins? Naw. Pigeon ghosts.[/quote]

So: 1 regiment to douse the barbies of Mecca; 1 regiment to keep the Taiwanese from depleting the world’s supply of Monopoly money; and 1 squad to stop sandman before he kills again.

Would you like fries with that?

[quote=“sandman”][/quote]
Actually no. Those are usually advertised in a much seamier, darker side of Scottish culture, the infamous mail order brides business. Look at the eyes – those are New Zealand sheep, considered by some older and uglier Scots to be more “exotic” and “submissive” than their native counterparts.[/quote]

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

:notworthy:

Oh my gosh! It’s true! :noway:

reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtm … ID=7394229

Extract of article:

[quote]Many Pilgrims Stone ‘Devil’ Bush and Sandman in Haj Ritual

MENA, Saudi Arabia (Reuters) - Haj pilgrims pelted stones at symbols of the devil on Friday, with many saying they were targeting President Bush, Forumosa

[quote]Fortunately…some sheep have survived.
[/quote]

Sandman is quite right.

The pictured sheep can in fact be purchased in many locations around New Zealand. I myself have bought one form a small sex shop on the corner of Cuba St and Taranaki St.

Brian

:smiley: This must be a vewy funny joke, right?

Muslims slaughtering sheep over hajj …hmmmmm … meat is meat and man must eat, or what? How many onions and carrots do they slaughter, too?

How many turkeys / chickens are slaughtered by christians for US thanksgiving? And over christmas season worldwide?

How many sausages are brutally devoured by heathen visigoths and their detestable associates during every Oktoberfest? How many golden liters of the finest beer are consumed?

How many trillions of lentils and grains of rice are ruthlessly robbed of life every day, to give life? :noway:

If I could roll my eyes I would. :loco:

Why can’t you roll your eyes? Just do this :unamused: it’s so easy! :bouncy:

Tell me about it! Read this:

[color=darkred]Give Turkeys Something To Be Thankful For
[/color]

Happy Holidays? Not for Turkeys!

This year, more than 45 million turkeys will have their beaks and toes cut off without painkillers and their throats slit while they are still conscious

I saw dave’s girl! :bouncy: and thought I might say something cute and funny but now I can’t think of anything :frowning: