The Hiking Thread 2010

Happy New Year fellow hikers!

Hoping for a hike Sunday, in spite of a rainy forecast.

I am interested in a Sunday hike.
The Fubang race on Dec 20 is over. I had put aside hiking for running, and now it’s time for hiking again. My knees can take only so much abuse.

Glad I found the new thread early this year, instead after January is almost over like I did last year.

[quote=“kage”]Happy New Year fellow hikers!

Hoping for a hike Sunday, in spite of a rainy forecast.[/quote]

Hey… great meeting you up in the hills today. I’d also be interested in coming on a few hikes with you guys, but unfortunately tomorrow I must go to a wedding and next Sunday my kids soccer team is playing a game … but definitely some time in the future so please keep us posted!

I have “suggested” Omni head out for a hike this Sunday with Emma.

Others are more than welcome to join, but as I am getting around by scooter, I cannot offer a ride, so you need to bring your own transportation. Of course, I am open to and interested in better plans so long as it includes making an effort to get Omni out of his abode and into the Taiwan he loves.
Meet Hsindien MRT 9:30 am. Sunday.

fingers crossed

Hello fellow hikers,

I am a newbie to altitude hiking. I will be doing the JiaLou Hu 加羅湖 hike with a group of very experienced Taiwanese mountaineers.

I found this link: taiwan-photography-blog.com/2009 … jialou-hu/

Is there anything out of the ordinary about this hike? What are some tips for a first time overnighter at high altitude in winter?

I will be driving a car to the car parking area at the trail head. Any recommendations/things to be aware of etc.,

I am also in the market for a 2 person tent under 2kg (to be used for both hiking and biking) Any good brands you can recommend?

Thanks in advance for the help

Although most of the cabins have pads , a sleeping mat (foam or inflatable , such as Thermarest) makes a big difference in both comfort and heat. Your big enemy is humidity, if the weather is wet and a lot of people are breathing in a cabin (or just you in a tent). Bring a change of clothes (if you can afford the extra weight) for sleeping in - long underwear are perfect. Sleeping in the clothes you wear during the day isn’t good - they have moisture in them even if you don’t feel it, which gets into your sleeping bag and makes it much , much harder to keep warm.

A good sleeping bag, as it can get quite cold. And gloves. And enough warm clothing - layering is crucial. Also, cotton is death. Other than the uber-new expensive fabrics, most synthetics get very smelly after a few days, but it is still better than cotton, which gets damp from even the tiniest bit of perspiration, and then wicks your body heat away 200% times faster than being naked. Cotton is death.
A hat , both for sleeping and for around the campsite/cabin.

Be aware there are rats at many of the campsites. Keep a clean campsite and carry out what you brought in, obviously.

As far as tents, there are heaps of good comparison websites to refer to.
Muzha Man had a North Face that just couldn’t deal with the humidity levels here, but I forget what model it was. I believe they exchanged it for a different model that is fine.
I have a Big Agnes, which I love.
Tents and any good quality hiking gear is quite expensive here. You can get a TLO (tent like object) for very, very cheap at stores llike Carrefour, but I sure wouldn’t want to spend a rainy night in one (actually, I did - once- back in Uni - learned my lesson).
Have an excellent hike! Jealous… :slight_smile:

Kage: thanks for the advice

I am interested in buying the Rhino U-2 二人輕便帳 2-Man Light Weight Compact Tent rhino.com.tw/02_3product/02_3_1_2.html

Is this a good quality 4-season Taiwan terrain tent? Costs NT$3 500

Those little tents are useless as condensation builds up so much you’ll literally wake up wet with the ceiling dripping on you. The one you link to would be okay if the weather was clear and you could keep the top rolled back (that is mesh underneath right?) but if you had to zip it up you would be wetter inside than out.

I had a single wall tent and took it down south on a 5 day river trace. Had very dry weather but my tent dripped inside. Once, I reached out and discovered the outside of the tent was bone dry, but the inside was all damp.

Taiwan is horribly humid. You need a tent with great ventilation. Single walls are no good. Even North Face’s main office admitted to me later they shouldn’t sell single wall tents in Taiwan.

Mucha Man: Thanks for the heads up on the dripping condensation and tent designs.

I believe the silver streak on the tent is the mesh.

I have been reading up on tent characteristics, materials and construction. The more I read into this subject, the more it becomes like space-age rocket science.

Ideally, I would like to buy a 4-season tent suitable for Taiwan’s elements.

If not, I would focus on purchasing a tent that will provide adequate protection at high altitudes during winter.

Any recommendations?

(why does the c in Mucha change to a z in your name: autocorrect?)

You don’t need a 4-season tent in Taiwan because you are not going to be camping in the snow here or anywhere as cold as back home in winter. Also, most high altitude trails have free cabins you can stay in. If you are hiking somewhere without cabins, or want a tent for backup, a 3-season is fine. Good waterproof material and breathabilty are important.

Recommendations are tough. I have several tents as they serve different needs: low weight, good waterproofing, etc.

thanks

have a better idea of what to do now

will borrow a high quality tent from a friend (was against the idea, but he was the one offering)

BTW, from what I saw of that earlier link, you are not going up to high altitude. The vegetation around the lake suggests you are well under 2500m.

Oh, for sleeping bags, artificial down is supposed to be better for Taiwan’s wet conditions. I have a down but will switch next time I get a new bag.

When I go up to over 3000m, I might wear 1-2 thermal layers, a fast wicking shirt, a heavy fleece, and a Gortex jacket. In winter I would have another layer option: medium fleece or sweater.

I have thermal long johns and medium weight fleece lined pants. Gortex rain pants are a good options in case your other pants get wet.

When I hike I usually just wear the medium weight pants unless I am heading up to a 3500+ peak.

Carry more than you think you might need the first time and see how your gear works. Materials are all different and my lighter thermal shirt is warmer than the heavier on most occassions because it wicks moisture away quicker and also is a bit of a windbreak.

People have alll sorts of preferences for socks too. There’s no one right way to do things.

Time to make some equipment investments for future adventures. But, will first try and borrow items from friends. Have a feeling that they don’t like to share certain hiking equipment, so won’t attempt to ask for things that might have sentimental value.

I can see myself collecting many hiking accessories & necessities (already achieved this feat for mountain biking and surfing)

luckily my lady friend is also outdoor activity orientated and doesn’t mind the outdoor warehouse ambience of my apartment

[quote=“GRC22”]Time to make some equipment investments for future adventures. But, will first try and borrow items from friends.[/quote] I like this idea. Then you can see what works or doesn’t work about something before you invest.

[quote]the outdoor warehouse ambience of my apartment[/quote] I love it!
Have an excellent hike!

[quote=“kage”]Although most of the cabins have pads , a sleeping mat (foam or inflatable , such as Thermarest) makes a big difference in both comfort and heat. Your big enemy is humidity, if the weather is wet and a lot of people are breathing in a cabin (or just you in a tent). Bring a change of clothes (if you can afford the extra weight) for sleeping in - long underwear are perfect. Sleeping in the clothes you wear during the day isn’t good - they have moisture in them even if you don’t feel it, which gets into your sleeping bag and makes it much , much harder to keep warm.

A good sleeping bag, as it can get quite cold. And gloves. And enough warm clothing - layering is crucial. Also, cotton is death. Other than the uber-new expensive fabrics, most synthetics get very smelly after a few days, but it is still better than cotton, which gets damp from even the tiniest bit of perspiration, and then wicks your body heat away 200% times faster than being naked. Cotton is death.
A hat , both for sleeping and for around the campsite/cabin.

Be aware there are rats at many of the campsites. Keep a clean campsite and carry out what you brought in, obviously.

As far as tents, there are heaps of good comparison websites to refer to.
Muzha Man had a North Face that just couldn’t deal with the humidity levels here, but I forget what model it was. I believe they exchanged it for a different model that is fine.
I have a Big Agnes, which I love.
Tents and any good quality hiking gear is quite expensive here. You can get a TLO (tent like object) for very, very cheap at stores llike Carrefour, but I sure wouldn’t want to spend a rainy night in one (actually, I did - once- back in Uni - learned my lesson).
Have an excellent hike! Jealous… :slight_smile:[/quote]

Great advice Kage…just to add my 2 cents, if staying in a cabin stay away from the doors. Try to sleep on the upper bunks.Bring ear plugs and a good eye shade, bring a good adjustable led head light and a good book to read.

Unfortunately I didnt do the above for the first cabin of jiaminghu and slept to close to the 2 through doors, horrors people forgetting to close doors trampling around in the middle of the night, shining torches all over (especially in your face)… welcome to Taiwan :smiley:

I am trying to shake a chill that just won’t leave, and it doesn’t look like I will make it in the morning. Pity, as the weather looks great.
The dad I was trying to get back to the hills didn’t get back to me, but another hiker and parent , horo36, did. Huge apologies for this, horo. :frowning:
Pity to miss such great weather. Next time.

Myself and a few friends hiked Jialuohu in May of last year. There are no cabins and so a tent is essential. The other thing to consider is that yilan is very wet and so you’re likely (but not certain) to have a damp surface for pitching a tent.

It will be cold at this time of year as the lake is at 2300m. We went in late May and it got down to freezing at night and we woke up with ice on our tents so definitely plan for that. Take a couple of fleeces and a gortex jacket. Gloves, a warm hat and a change of clothes are a good idea too.

The trail is pretty good but very steep. The old logging trail that used to slowly wind up the mountain has long been abandoned and the new hiking trail cuts straight up the slope. From the gate, you’re looking at at least 5 hours of hiking, maybe more.

As for tents, it’s the same with everything. You get what you pay for. 2000 is too cheap in my books. Fork out the extra pennys and get something decent. It’ll pay you back in dividends when you’re stuck in the rain on a mountain!

Sound like a good one. Can you post directions? [quote=“spunkymonkey”]As for tents, it’s the same with everything. You get what you pay for. 2000 is too cheap in my books. Fork out the extra pennies and get something decent. It’ll pay you back in dividends when you’re stuck in the rain on a mountain![/quote] I really, really agree with this. If money is tight, better to do without (borrow, beg, rent…) until you can afford something good quality. Spending money on low quality equipment is like burning money - you’ll never get your money’s worth out of a piece of junk and it equipment can really make or break a trip.

Whoops! :blush:

I was hoping I might be able to haul the wife and baby to Xindian to meet you on Sunday morning, but when we woke up to rain in Linkou, and baby slept till late, any idea of doing so was scotched.

As it turned out, the weather was gloriously sunny, and it would have been perfect for a hike. We made do with a stroll in the park, instead.

Unfortunately, I can’t just take the baby by herself, since she’s still breast-feeding and can’t be away from her mum for more than a couple of hours.

How old is Horo’s baby? Is it a girl or a boy?

I hope your chill clears up soon, and that we’ll have another suitable chance to take Emma hiking in the not-too-distant future.

This is my blog page for the jialuo lake hike

hikingtaiwan.wordpress.com/2009/ … %E6%B9%96/

At the bottom there’s a link to a google map that shows the way there. Just take the number 7 towards Wuling/Lishan and the turn off is on the left at a small village called Siji 四季. It’s pretty easy to find the trail from there.