The invasion of Ukraine has amplified the risk of a Chinese invasion

South Korea too, even though they’ve been less vocal (or courageous) about it. They’re like our Germany. But they definitely don’t want China encroaching and possibly emboldening North Korea either.

2 Likes

I’d say the eastern bloc is fairly concerned about their safety with this Russian invasion. In particular, Poland and the Baltic states are put in a compromising position in terms of security. Russia has an incentive to take territory in the Baltics. Further, the involvement of Belarus as a Russian puppet state further threatens stability in Latvia, Lithuania, and Estonia

4 Likes

You misunderstood the point.

Nope.

https://www.ft.com/content/b6d0ea59-8439-4325-a5fe-edce8db9b3dd

The US has “allowed” Chinese ships and influence all throughout the Pacific for some time. They’re currently trying to play catch up:

1 Like

Yes, and continue to do so.

That was the original point. I countered with plenty of evidence, to show that actually, the US have allowed China loads and loads of access to the Pacific, even up to having their navy in Sydney Harbour, and owning the northernmost port of Darwin, what to speak of the rest of their activities.

https://www.news.com.au/technology/innovation/military/chinese-spy-ship-spotted-circling-australias-coast-for-three-weeks/news-story/819f0cd9f7f7d8367b5a365be3223b79

This was just last week:

https://www.thestar.com/news/world/australia/2022/02/19/australia-says-china-warship-fired-laser-at-its-patrol-plane.html

There are already plenty of Chinese subs, ships, “fishing vessels,” Chinese-controlled assets, Chinese-influenced govts and infrastructure, all throughout the Pacific.

It may embolden the Chinese. Though I expect they were consulted on some levels prior to the special operation in Ukraine. Much as I think that NATO is using Ukraine to soften up Russia, it may also be true that China has used Russia.

I have friends Latvia and Estonia that are planning to head farther west to Spain or Portugal. They are increasingly nervous about living in the Baltic States and being wedged in there.

I wonder if the Russians would actively help if/when China decides to make a move on Taiwan. They have way more experience in these areas (Afghanistan, Chechnya, Syria, Crimea, Ukraine, etc.). The Chinese have had a few incidents at the Indian border in recent times, but that’s about it.

I don’t get it. nz said the US will not allow China to have access to the Pacific. FairComment provided several examples of how China actually does have access to the Pacific. What did they misunderstand?

China doesn’t have access to the pacific because there are countries and their territorial waters in between China and unfettered access to the pacific.

The only reason why those chinese warships went to Australia is because the countries in between China and the ocean did not choose to enforce it. China could be blockaded.

The US has unfettered access to both oceans and they cannot be blockaded in.

China does not. Taiwan has unfettered access to the Pacific.

All access to the pacific must go through a strait that could be used to blockade the PLA. The Chinese have to be allowed access. The Chinese want Taiwan because it would provide unfettered access.

5 Likes

I misworded my post. I should have said that US has allowed China access to the pacific.

1 Like

It’s not? When you’re making 4 grand a year?

More on some of China’s subs, warships and influence already down south: :man_shrugging:

https://eurasiantimes.com/hunting-chinese-submarines-beijing-slams-australia/

If you own the countries already, maybe no need to invade :slight_smile:

1 Like

Geopolitics is certainly getting very … interesting these days. It’s hard to figure out who owns who.

In a way, you have to admire the way China is quietly (and unconventionally) making its presence felt in the region. The US has traditionally relied on “when the only tool you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail” approach; the Chinese are are a lot more likely to choose the right tool for the job.

It’ll all turn to shit, of course. It always does.

1 Like

Military projection. In the event of conflict it is still possible to box in the Chinese navy, keeping the Pacific essentially a US/allied lake. If the PLA has access to Taiwan then they have ports and airfields that much closer.

Nobody denies China’s attempts at soft power, obviously nobody is trying to stop Chinese citizens/diplomats/money from going to Pacific islands. To suggest that was the point wasn’t worth this much typing, but since you asked and I don’t have an opinion about you, you deserve a bit of a response.

1 Like

Deleted :slight_smile:

The Chinese already own the Philippines, providing access to anything south or southeast of China. The Philippines has no useful military infrastructure - so refuelling, maintenance, etc is impossible - but Singapore at least is onside with Chinese foreign policy, and Vietnam, Malaysia and Indonesia are unlikely to offer any opposition to Chinese ambitions. Taiwan doesn’t represent an insurmountable obstacle; at worst, it’s a speedbump.

3 Likes

The PLA is also directly funding their Armed Forces, with more cash and gear forthcoming. Last deposit was in January, 2022.

Also, the Chinese navy (multiple ships) just left the Arafura Sea (between Oz and Papua New Guinea), and after allegedly shining lasers at Aussie planes. They are now in the Coral Sea.

Yesterday, two PLA ships just left Tonga.

The Liaoning’s battle group apparently routinely circles Taiwan.

China’s destroyer Xiamen also seems to patrol the Pacific Ocean.

In April, at least 32 Chinese maritime militia vessels were seen to have remained berthed at the Whitsun Reef, which is located within the Philippines’ exclusive economic zone.

That the Chinese are already based in the Pacific has also been formally acknowledged by the US:

“China is expected to have more aircraft carriers and amphibious assault ships based in the Pacific than the U.S. Navy by 2025,” said Adm. Philip Davidson, head of U.S Indo-Pacific Command in March, 2021.

The Chinese navy is on track to having three aircraft carriers and six amphibious assault ships within four years, compared with one U.S. carrier and two amphibious assault ships in the region, Davidson said during Tuesday’s Senate Armed Services Committee hearing.

By 2025, China is also projected to have 54 modern multi-warfare combatant ships in the region, compared with six comparable U.S. ships, Davidson said.

1 Like

Yes, it absolutely will. Seems very few routes this whole retarded show of idiocy wont embolden the pychopaths in China. Our plans B and C are now more serious :frowning: