The K-man's finest hour(s)

And again you are completely missing the point, which is that the K-man was continually identifying the one person by his ethnicity/race (and only him; none of the others connected with the case were identified in such a manner), which was completely irrelevant to the murder case.

1 Like

I’m not missing your point, I even replied to that specific point. Here:

Bottom line: I think it’s not a big deal to refer to one as Israeli American and to the other one as African American, since both labels help to further identify the subjects. However I do think that the label African American is kinda stupid, but I my problem with its use is different from your problem with it.

“As much relevant as the other guy having Israeli nationality, don’t you think so?”

More so than by saying “African-American”. None of the others connected to the murder were called “White” or “European-American” or so on.

“Yankees have an interesting obsession with race which leads them to many contradictions, inevitably.”

Generalize much?

PC obsession and stupidity. Same with race in USA.

Or not enough.

1 Like

So you were fine with K-man continually reminding readers that one suspect in the murder was black?

Bottom line: If you can’t see what’s wrong with a news article continually reminding its readers that “Hey, this guy isn’t white”, there’s nothing else I can say here.

Enough of this exchange, please.

Maybe “Caribbean-American” would have been a better choice of words, as African-American is often taken to mean an American descendent of slavery, which Bent isn’t.

1 Like

Maybe just “American” would have been sufficient?

Presumably for Mayer as well.

Let’s settle with a bunch of Waiguoren!

1 Like

餵骨人? :thinking:

1 Like

He is a dual national, so in his case I don’t see anything wrong with using “Israeli-American”.

Is this relevant to the crime though?

I see it as relevant in establishing the identities of the suspects, although you could also argue that by doing so it sets up an “Us vs. Them” mindset. Still, name, age and nationality are pretty standard identifiers in news articles. Race and ethnicity aren’t. And by continually pointing out that one person was “African-American” when it had absolutely no bearing on the crime that took place, runs the risk of reinforcing negative stereotypes, especially among the Taiwanese public.

Auto correct doesn’t like that word :laughing:

I see it as relevant in establishing the identities of the suspects, although you could also argue that by doing so it sets up an “Us vs. Them” mindset. Still, name, age and nationality are pretty standard identifiers in news articles. Race and ethnicity aren’t. And by continually pointing out that one person was “African-American” when it had absolutely no bearing on the crime that took place, runs the risk of reinforcing negative stereotypes, especially among the Taiwanese public.

I suspect auto correct is a foreigner, which would explain why he’s touchy about the word.

1 Like

Yes fine you’ve made your point. Ain’t no one defending the k man here.