The List of Things that you can't rely on in Taiwan

Rascal.

The foreign food section in Wellcome

The hot water in my building

The weather (why am I the first one to mention this in 3 pages?!)

The longevity of decent restaurants

I wish.

Another thing you can’t rely on in Taiwan…that some asshole piece of shit won’t cut you off in their car, being the selfish inconsiderate prick that they are. :fume:

Happy posting about Taiwan in this forum.

Rascal.

hygiene
weather+weatherman
the choices of cheese and wine over here (hell, went to a uber MF restaurant with some suppliers and the wine they chose was not even comparable to the wine I can get at €.20 a glass in my hometown - disgrace)
publicity
telephone calls

[quote=“mr_boogie”]hygiene
weather+weatherman
the choices of cheese and wine over here (hell, went to a uber MF restaurant with some suppliers and the wine they chose was not even comparable to the wine I can get at €.20 a glass in my hometown - disgrace)
publicity
telephone calls[/quote]

wow how times have changed! :noway:

Foreigners complaining about the quality of the cheese and wine !!!

we are turning into Singapore :raspberry:

How about:

Having a bad time at a Dave Chen & the Muddy Basin Ramblers gig.

Copping a shitty brunch at Carnage on a Sunday.

Getting a shitty pizza from Alleycat’s or Mary Jane.

Bad food at the Italian Job.

Not having a good bunch of mates to share a drink or twenty, any godamned night of the week.

Not having a laugh at Bobwundaye.

Not spotting superb totty within 200 metres of Nanjing East MRT station midday on a work day.

Not being touched by heartfelt Taiwanese hospitality.

Not being completely gobsmacked as you drive down the east coast from Taipei.

Not copping a superb sunny yet strangely humidity free outdoor lunch in Taichung with good mates.

Thats not at all a sorry list. :laughing:

HG

fenlander… the choices are very poor over here, unless you know really where to go look for your stuff (I saw some bottles of Mas La Plata in Hola, but that doesn’t even touch quality for me)…

And cheese, except for Jason’s and a few other places… also not a lot of choice…
What I can’t rely is in the people who make the choices that you can have…

Things you cannot rely on in Taiwan:

• competent emergency services of any kind (EMT, fire, police, rescue)

• competent artisans (rampant “差不多ism” in plumbers, carpenters, painters, electricians…)

• competant construction workers (rampant “差不多ism” in for road building, civil engineering, building construction etc.)

• competent civil servants (visa, tax, drivers licenses, etc all subject to random enforcement of arbitrary impediments)

• competant vetinary services (indifferent, non comittal, guess work instead of professional and methodical diagnosis and treatment)

• competant medical services (see vetinary services)

• competent government (no explanantion neccessary, just look around you or watch any session of the LFY)

medical services are fantastic here perhaps some of the best in the world.

Dentists are first class and so cheap. That is why so many people come here to get dentist services.

Compared to the NHS in the UK Taiwan is fantastic.

The MRT is far better than the London underground.

The high speed train is awesome! Far better cheaper and faster than UK rail services.

So many reliable things in Taiwan.

That is compared to the UK and not the USA where things are in generaly better than the UK

[quote=“fenlander”]medical services are fantastic here perhaps some of the best in the world.

Dentists are first class and so cheap. That is why so many people come here to get dentist services.

The high speed train is awesome! Far better cheaper and faster than UK rail services.

That is compared to the UK and not the USA where things are in generaly better than the UK[/quote]

So, what has this to do with The List of Things that you can’t rely on in Taiwan ???

other foriegners… sometimes. many are locked into their own world/thing and wouldn’t do anything to rock the boat or endanger their little thing. others are liberals running away from conservative/judeo-christian beliefs and find taiwan to be a godsend. others work for a certain organization who will remain nameless who has a certain agenda here in taiwan, the leader of this organization told me directly that he had MANY foriegners on his payroll, working under the guise of missionaries, ETs, businessmen, etc etc.
still other foriegners are just horn dogs who will try to fuck your wife. that’s why i pick my friends with care. once i find a good foriegn friend (and there are many) i go all out for them.

Why must it remain nameless? Sounds interesting.

Why must it remain nameless? Sounds interesting.[/quote]

PRC secret service?

Otherwise, good point, Ran. Foreigners are often among the least reliable things in Taiwan.

[quote=“X3M”][quote=“fenlander”]medical services are fantastic here perhaps some of the best in the world.

That is compared to the UK and not the USA where things are in generaly better than the UK[/quote]

elimination

So, what has this to do with The List of Things that you can’t rely on in Taiwan ???[/quote]

I snicker everytime I see someone making this ludicrous statement. First class? Have you seen the state of people’s teeth here? I can’t even count how many times some Harvard educated YA EE hasn’t even bothered to check for cavities… with anything but the naked eye. I guess in Taiwan your teeth have to be rotting out of your head for it to be considered a cavity. Dentists are cheap here for a reason and certainly not first class.

absolutely, medical care and dental care in Taiwan are excellent in that they utterly fulfill all three major criteria for Taiwanese excellence, namely cheap, cheap and cheap…

if you’re after more exacting standards in your medical professionals however, good luck… doctors, dentists, nurses, etc. like any other group of “skilled” workers in Taiwan consist of a miniscule smattering of dedicated, well trained, exacting professionals and a huge seething majority of couldn’t care less, poorly trained, lazy, corner cutting, 差不多ists…

Can’t rely on? That red means stop.

[quote=“plasmatron”]Things you cannot rely on in Taiwan:

• competent civil servants (visa, tax, drivers licenses, etc all subject to random enforcement of arbitrary impediments)
    [/quote]

Add to that, ever changing requirements and no central node of information (that is actually correct).

Have a terrible cold and need to stay in bed (but can’t) today.

Therefore: Can’t rely on sick leave… :frowning: