The List of Things that you can't rely on in Taiwan

Or that sidewalks are for walking.

Or that the white lines, both solid on dotted, and the arrows painted on all the roads indicate directional traffic flow.

Or Straight talk. Especially in the office. How the minions scurry to the master to report on every minor little percieved problem or slight of company rules. I occassionally take my class out to the park and have them stroll around describing things. I have many solid educational reasons for doing this. Sales peons, instead of asking me why I do this to my face, complain about me behind my back at no-foreigner-allowed meetings. This is but one example of the myriad times some little fuck tries to earn Guanxi on my back. Office Politics, surely an oxymoron here in the land that ethics forgot.

Some posts have been moved to here: Australian wine, cheese and meat

Rascal

Don’t know if some said this-but I did have a problem with smokes being the same in taste. Occationally getting a pack that seem to have more chemicals in them or just fake.

In summer, that you’ll remain feeling fresh and your T-shirt will still be good after 12noon.

Taiwan Beer used to be that way a bit too. The cans and bottles still taste different though, IMO.

I heard the bottles were German style and the cans were American style. I have always preferred the bottled ones.

That traffic coming toward you around a blind corner will be on its side of the double yellow lines.

:bravo: I second that. I can’t believe I didn’t think of this one earlier. It’s most of the reason I can’t enjoy driving motorcycle in the mountains like I used to. For me, it’s one of the most irritating things to have to deal with in Taiwan. :bluemad:

:bravo: I second that. I can’t believe I didn’t think of this one earlier. It’s most of the reason I can’t enjoy driving motorcycle in the mountains like I used to. For me, it’s one of the most irritating things to have to deal with in Taiwan. :bluemad:[/quote]

I’ll first that one.

Taxi drivers

I’m always wary if it’s a minimum. The driver will sometimes kick you out a couple of hundred yards from where you want to be if he feels the fare’s not going to go over 70 NT. Never mind that you have to get out in the middle of traffic and stumble onto the pavement with a sprained ankle, just as long as he can rush off and pick up another fare!

Taxi drivers again…

However, should the meter go up to 75 NT, then he will practically drive you down the MRT escalators and onto the train in a bid to earn more.

You can’t rely on there being onions and relish for your hot dog at Costco because the locals have already been there with their baggies. :fume:

Really? If so, that is totally shameless. Onions (even though I hate them) and relish are for all!!

Really? If so, that is totally shameless. Onions (even though I hate them) and relish are for all!![/quote]

But dem foreigners are giving or free condiments out in the open with no one making sure someone doesn’t take it all! FREE CONDIMENTS! They need something to put in there noodles.

Can’t rely on certain scumbag foreigners to return borrowed property voluntarily. :s

Really? If so, that is totally shameless. Onions (even though I hate them) and relish are for all!![/quote]

But dem foreigners are giving or free condiments out in the open with no one making sure someone doesn’t take it all! FREE CONDIMENTS! They need something to put in there noodles.[/quote]

Or their Costco pizza! :astonished:

Best one is the ‘all you can eat’ buffet. As soon as the chicken wings or shrimp comes out of the kitchen, there’s a stampede…people marching away with 20 pieces of each, balanced precariously on their plate. I was in the loo - missed the lot…