The Mask Poll

• I wear a mask whenever I leave my house.
  • I wear a mask whenever Iā€™m in crowded/tourists places or at work.
  • I wear a mask only when required.
  • I never wear a mask.

0 voters

How often do you wear a mask?

ā€œIā€™ve only ever worn a mask (formerly 3M N95, now Vogmask) due to pollution AQI above 95 and still only wear a mask due to AQI over 95ā€

Just visiting. Wore a mask when I departed the plane until we were in the car. Havenā€™t worn it since.

As nz states I would wear it for the pollution.

It really grinds my gears when a pie chart is made from similar shades of color.

4 Likes

I wear a mask when it seems socially expected of me. (Or when Iā€™m coughing, or if itā€™s a bad allergy day.)

Kind of similar to the logic for when I wear trousers or when I shave, really, but slightly different flow chart. Trousers and shaving: ā€œDo I need to look at least somewhat professional?ā€ Mask: ā€œAre most people near me wearing a mask?ā€

2 Likes

I wear a mask when I have to (hospitals), and when Iā€™m in a closed environment near miserable people (the MRT). Most certainly not outside. Iā€™m astounded at the fools riding their scooters with paper surgical masks on. :joy:
I donā€™t wear one at work. How the f do you teach a language with a mask on? I get incredulous queries from my co-workers. Trying to convince them that all of the professionals state that the masks are useless unless youā€™re sick or around sick people is like trying to convince them that drinking warm water is a steaming pile of bulls***, or that putting a half-onion in each classroom is just plain stupid.

2 Likes

I think itā€™s smart to wear it on the MRT and in the (air conditioned and crowded) department store. But my wife usually insists I wear it all the time, even running to the 7/11 next door. I find it annoying to wear, but beyond that I donā€™t see the harm in adding another precaution (even if its effectiveness is debatable). Except we will run out of our supply at the current rate weā€™re using them by the end of March. And unlike a lot of others we know, we were actually well-stocked when this happened. So I hope mask production ramps up and pharmacies start to become moderately stocked again in the next month.

3 Likes

We are in great shape here for mask supply, dont worry about that. Other countries have run out of masks after just one virus case and they donā€™t even make any!

3 Likes

When will places stop being sold out thoughā€¦ or at least when will pharmacies and clinics stop having long lines of people waiting just to buy 2 masks a week?

4 Likes

At least we can get masks and itā€™s not like S Korea. Ireland has sold out and they only have one case so far.
Production will reach 12 million a day within two weeks , we will be fine.

2 Likes

I was even offered two masks today by the pharmacy!

1 Like

For me, its when in crowded places such as Trains, Buses, Airports etc. I dont work, so that one is irrevelant.

This dates from before the current drama, I have picked up bugs (24hr Flu etc) on Aircraft before, so have always been wary then.

Help. The angry stares I get walking around the hood not wearing a mask are quite hostile.

During SARS, we had to wear one at the office. Luckily, this time around there are not enough masks around for that. The ones wearing them indoors have been abroad recently, so that is fine.

MRT is mask/gloves/intense disinfectant environment. I might resort to carry in a wok. Next idjit I see exploring the depths of his nasal cavities under a mask gets hit until such wok becomes a pan.

5 Likes

Recently19th on a Visa flight out Taoyuan had a young French couple sat behind, the Girl sat window side same as me kept sneezing and coughing and I could feel it as the positioned her head towards the window each time she did.
I stood and complained and I got the blank what me look.
Thankfully the plane was half capacity so we moved, who gave the dirty look on exit it wasnā€™t me!
Some are so ignorant itā€™s unbelievable.

2 Likes

I forgot to add I was wearing a mask.

As I have not been sick, I have ignored the dirty looks and havenā€™t been wearing a mask as per the advice of the CECC. People who might actually benefit others by wearing a mask perhaps arenā€™t able to because of the shortage, spreading their germs with gay abandon. The whole mask wearing thing seems to be a classic case of 團體čæ·ę€, a far more insidious disease on the ROC. My wife has been diligently wearing a mask whenever she has been out of the house since this whole situation flared upā€¦ and now she is in hospital with an as yet unknown but apparently contagious condition.

A free N95 mask everyday for me so I am allowed in to see her, hooray.

Hope she gets better.

2 Likes

Really? I have never noticed anyone visibly upset when Iā€™m walking around outside with no mask, which is always. But then I donā€™t pay much attention. Most ppl are not wearing them outside in my ā€˜hood.

2 Likes

I go with what is proven to work in Taiwan and not some arrogant foreigners who think they know better than a country that is doing this better than almost everybody else right now .:sunglasses: . Wearing a mask on the MRT or crowded places is a smart thing to do for everybody. One sneeze from an infected person on the MRT could potentially infect dozens. Many people do not even know they are infectedā€¦ Then you have an epidemic on your hands.
Common fecjin sense.

Sighā€¦I have to post my sneezing video, again.

3 Likes

I taught the whole of our staff how to ā€œsneeze like a vampireā€ so that they could spread the word about sneezing into ones elbow to their students, who are all taking off their masks to sneeze. Our principal thought I was brilliant. The Taiwanese medical person who was at the meeting to teach us all about sanitation was like ā€œyeah, no. If youā€™re coughing or sneezing you need to wear a maskā€ (sigh)

About 20 minutes later (still at the meeting), I needed to sneeze. I sneezed into my elbow, just as I had just demonstrated. Three people turned to me. Two motioned for me to put on a mask and one verbally told me to put on a mask. I responded with ā€œdid you not notice my presention? I sneezed like a vampireā€. I know they were rolling their eyes at me in their head, thinking Iā€™m a moron. Itā€™s hopeless

2 Likes