The Morgue 2004

“Hey, at my age I need two girls at once…that way if I fall asleep they have each other to talk to!”
Rodney, RIP

His last great line was a classic: Before his heart operation, he said “If all goes well, I’ll be there for a couple of weeks. If things go badly, I’ll be there for an hour and a half.”

This year has seen a lot of old masters go.

I hardly knew who he was at the time but the actor and monologist Spalding Gray died in January. Check out Swimming to Cambodia if you get the chance, he was one of a kind and viciously funny. RIP.

theage.com.au/articles/2004/ … click=true

Sounds like something we should remember on forumosa.com :bravo:

That seems pretty unequivocal.

Sounds like something we should remember on forumosa.com :bravo:[/quote]

Do you really want to discuss Derrida or are you just baiting?

He is not dead, his text is being deconstructed.

Derrida was quite an amazing revolutionary thinker.

Here’s my poem in memory of Jacques:

Don’t deride-a
Jaques Derrida
He da writer
You da reader

Brian

Christopher Reeve

Damn shame.

wow :expressionless: a moment of silence. :bow:

According to KQED earlier this week, Dangerfield coined the line “You two should get a room.”

cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/10/ … index.html

Sheesh, you had me worried it was J.D. Salinger (Catcher in the Rye), who is very much alive.

edition.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS … index.html

story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=s … _iceman_dc

[quote]Finder of ‘Iceman’ Found Dead in Austrian Alps

Sat Oct 23,11:05 AM ET

VIENNA (Reuters) - The man who 13 years ago discovered the frozen remains of a prehistoric iceman in an Alpine glacier was found dead in the Austrian Alps on Saturday, eight days after he went missing, rescue authorities said.

Helmut Simon, the German who found the 5,300-year-old mummified body while hiking on the border of Austria and Italy in 1991, disappeared on Oct. 15 after setting off alone on an expedition in the Bad Hofgastein region in southwestern Austria.

“He was found at an altitude of around 2,200 meters (7,220 ft), apparently having fallen around 100 meters,” a member of the Bad Hofgastein mountain rescue team told Reuters.

Rescue officials found and recovered the body of the experienced 67-year-old mountaineer after a local hunter notified them of a mysterious red spot high up on the 2,300-meter Gaiskarkogel mountain.

Simon, 67, and his wife, Erika, from Nuremberg in Germany found the neolithic iceman on the 3,000-meter (9,000-feet) high Similaun glacier in the Tyrolean Oetz Valley. The mummy was named “Oetzi” after the valley. [/quote]
Erika Simon requested that her husband be buried in a glacial crevasse for future generations to find. :smiling_imp:

news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/3955289.stm

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: RIP, mate. :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Greatest DJ that ever lived. A REAL DJ. RIP.

I was just about to say the exact same thing.

Those Peel Sessions introduced lots of people to lots of great bands.

John Peel:

John Peel has died at the age of 65, while on holiday in Peru.

Peel, whose radio career spanned 40 years, was on a working holiday in the city of Cuzco with his wife Sheila when he suffered a heart attack.

He was BBC Radio 1’s longest-serving DJ and in recent years had also presented Home Truths on Radio 4.

Radio 1 controller Andy Parfitt said Peel’s contribution to modern music and culture was “immeasurable”.

“He always had his finger on the pulse of the music industry and the fact that Radio 1 played the Undertones, the White Stripes and the Strokes today showed just how relevant he remained throughout his career.”

I’ll miss reading his columns.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/3955289.stm