The Morgue 2004

Damn! While I was dealing with multiple invalid sessions it seems that everyone beat me to it. Now I look like an idiot.

Sorry about that.

May he rest in peace.

A huge, huge loss. It was because of him that I learned about so many groundbreaking acts from Joy Division to the White Stripes. He was at an age when most people would be listening to wobbly elevator music and yet he was digging The Strokes. A real pity. R.I.P.

Well, we can’t hold that against him :laughing:

Loved this comment:
“If god is a DJ, then he’s probably looking for another job by now”

Never seen tributes like it. (on the Guardian website - bloody BBC has nothing, typical)

Oh well. (another song I first heard on his show…)

Guess he’s playing Teenage Kicks in the Big Studio in the Sky.

When I was a kid it seemed it was just me and him and my girlfriend who thought the Smiths were really funny.

I even used to listen to his Radio 4 show in the car when I was back in the Old Country a few years ago.

Should have our own in memoriam Peel Session in Carnage or Bob and Dave’s at the weekend…

Oh well. :frowning:

John Peel was great; so knowledgeable, good-natured, and so not full-of-shit in an industry that has too many posers and mega-egos. I listened to his show on the BBC world service during my early years in Taiwan and on travels overseas.

On lonely nights camping solo in the back of beyond, there’s no better company than a shortwave radio tuned into the BBC World Service (accompanied by a bottle of grog, of course).

I know it’s a day late but I thought I’d start a topic about the late, great John Peel. For any 20/30 something British people of a certain musical inclination he was a living legend, and by all accounts a really, really nice guy. Introduced me to loads of music and any person whose favourite song ever is “Teenage Kicks” has to be okay.

I also was very sorry to read about the death of John Peel. I remember back at The Reading festivals which John used to DJ back in the 70s and his ironic wit.
He changed the face of music and introduced many ‘indie’ bands to a wider audience.
Sadly missed.

I met him once and told him that if I had a band, he’d be the first person to receive a tape. He told me that if I sent one, he’d listen to it – that he listened to EVERY tape sent to him. If it weren’t for his championing of indie labels, there would BE no indie labels, I’m quite certain.

I’m truly gutted John Peel’s no longer here, asides from his late show, Home Truths on Radio 4 I caught when I could. His Peel Sessions were amazing and most of the great acts that broke in the mainstream really owe a lot to the guy, he really was interested in supporting the underground. I’ve always wondered about his collection and the sheer amount of demos he must have stored away. A sad loss for music.

Sorry if this is out of date…I only saw it today and was pretty shocked. :noway:

John Peel

Thoughts for his family and friends.

Limey :frowning:

Read his orb in the Economist.

Seems to have been an institution on the foggy isles and a rather eclectic fellar,doing a lot to expand the musical horizons of his countrymen. As I am not a brit, I never listened to his show, though.

Huge huge loss. So many bands would probably never have been discovered had Peel not championed them on his show.
It’s such a pity he had only just started his autobiography as well. His wife is said to be finishing it for him.

[url=http://tw.forumosa.com/t/the-morgue-2004/7507/129 thread[/url]

I read that there are moves afoot to get his memoirs published. Apparently he was nearly finished.

Very interesting Sandman. I missed “The morgue” thread.

John was very inspirational to me. John along with Tommy Vance (Radio 1 metal DJ) got me listening to things without first having an opinion, and also to believe in the music you love and not what somebody tells you to!

I think the biography will be fascinating reading.

I never heard of John Peel. Was he Techno, House, or Trance?

Richard, he was pro independant music. Peel was into all kinds of music.

Rest in Peace Emlyn Hughes and Bill ‘darkie’ Nicholson.

So long, Yasser Arafat. We hardly knew thee…

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/meast/11/10/arafat.obit/index.html

cnn story

cnn.com/2004/WORLD/meast/11/ … index.html

Iris Chang, author of The Rape of Nanking was found dead today in her car. She died of a self-inflicted gun shot to the head.

canada.com/news/story.html?i … f3777a0224