The Morgue 2004

From the aforelinked article.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Iris Chang, suicide, 36 years old, author of THE RAPE OF NANKING.
From depression illness, apparently. Gunshot to the head. In parked car. California.
Parents were from mainland. She was born in USA. Began publishing at 25. Married to American man, one kid.

GOOGLE TODAY: Author Iris Chang found dead
Sydney Morning Herald (subscription), Australia - 2 hours ago
Ni Cuiping, 75, shows off her scar as Iris Chang, right, author of The Rape of Nanking, looks on during the opening of a conference in 2001. Photo: AP. …
Author Iris Chang commits suicide Seattle Times
‘Rape of Nanking’ author Iris Chang commits suicide Minneapolis Star Tribune (subscription)
Iris Chang, author of bestseller ‘Rape of Nanking,’ found dead in … Japan Today
Channel News Asia - San Jose Mercury News (subscription) -

all 1,11o related NEWS STORIES

Harry Lampert

Fred Dibnah!!The end of an era. Why did no-one notice? He’s been in the ground two weeks and I only just found out. Poor bugger.

Airport series author Arthur Hailey dead at 84.

xrl.us/d5oj

Don’t know how many forumosans know who he is, but:

Rapper O.D.B. dies at recording studio

I loved Ol’ Dirty- He liked it raw!
Sadly, he was also one of those people who you new was going to go early.

I’m just surprised it took this long.

A r-e-a-l loss. :unamused:

2 bAd.

2 bAd.

Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) ODB has had a greater direct impact on my life than any of the other persons I can remember reading :laughing:

Now this is bizarre.

story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=s … b_shooting

[quote] U.S. National - AP

Former Pantera Guitarist Killed on Stage

8 minutes ago U.S. National - AP

By JAY COHEN, Associated Press Writer

COLUMBUS, Ohio - A gunman charged onstage at a packed nightclub and opened fire on the band and the crowd, killing top heavy metal guitarist “Dimebag” Darrell Abbott and three other people before a police officer shot him to death, authorities and witnesses said.

AP Photo

Five Shot Dead at Heavy Metal Concert in Ohio
(AP Video)

Columbus police department spokeswoman Sherry Mercurio identified three of the victims of Wednesday’s shooting as Abbott, guitarist with the heavy metal rock band Damageplan, and two other men, Nathan Bray and Erin Halk.

Damageplan had just begun their first song at the Alrosa Villa when the man opened fire, first targeting Abbott, shooting him multiple times at point-blank range, a witness said.

Abbott, 38, one of metal’s top guitarists, and his brother, Damageplan drummer Vinnie Paul Abbott, were original members of Grammy-nominated thrash rock pioneers Pantera, one of the most popular metal bands of the early 1990s.

The witness, 22-year-old Chris Couch, said he was standing about 30 feet away from the stage when he noticed a man wearing a hooded sweatshirt and hockey jersey walk up to the stage, followed by a bouncer and another club employee.

The man in the jersey climbed onto the stage, started yelling and shot the guitarist five or six times at close range, Couch said. He said the gunman also shot a bouncer who pulled him off the musician.

Columbus police spokesman Sgt. Brent Mull said that after shooting at members of the band, the gunman fired into the crowd. Mull said a police officer who arrived shortly after the shooting began shot and killed the gunman.

“If the officer wasn’t as close as he was, I think this would have been a lot worse,” he said. “It was a chaotic scene, just a horrific scene.”

Mercurio said the officer who killed the suspect was patrolling nearby when he heard the call go out. He entered the club through a back door and was directed to the stage, where he saw one person lying dead and the suspect holding onto another person, Mercurio said. The officer shot and killed the suspect.

[/quote]

Ohio seems to be quickly becoming the armpit of America. Glad I left when I did.

Dr. Firouz Amirparviz, noted cardiologist and collector of fine scotch.
Please drink a toast to his memory if you have any.

Request to Morgue posters: Please mention the name of the person in your post. Especially in some of the earlier postings, I found numerous links to news articles that no longer exist, and with no info in the post there is no way to do a web seach.

Thanks.

OOC

Reggie “Minister of Defense” White, one of the greatest NFL football players of all time while playing for both the Green Bay Packers and the Philadelphia Eagles, died of a heart attack Sunday morning, at age 43. :exclamation: :frowning:

It seems like the lfespan of these big linemen is always less than their uniform number, almost without exception. Football and American idolatry of its players are such cruel masters.

“As great a player as Reggie was, he was a better person, and it isn’t close,” Detroit Lions chief executive officer Matt Millen said. “Every life that Reggie touched is better for it.”

Dead at 71

news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/4130985.stm

A very good suggestion.

The woman above is Susan Sontag.

Brian

Jerry Orbach, better known as Lennie Briscoe on the TV series “Law & Order”, dead at 69 of prostate cancer, just after production started on his new series “Trial By Jury”.

msnbc.msn.com/ID/6765565/