The Morgue 2007

She had more problems than any of us could’ve handled. Parents divorced; married and gave birth as a teen, divorced shortly after, shot to superstardom but had major yo-yo weight problems, married 80 yr-old billionaire and inherited huge fortune when he died year later, inheritance overturned on appeal then dragged all the way to USSupCt, just gave birth as single mother, 20 yr old son OD’d shortly thereafter, plus various other lawsuits, patrimony suits, etc. I feel sorry for her too. This end seemed somewhat inevitable.[/quote]

Don’t feel too sorry for her. America is going to imortalize her in some form or fashion. People are already drawing the Marylin Monroe comparison. All her “friends” are coming out to speak on her behalf and bash her current ‘husband’ . I saw her last interview, and her speech was slurred and she looked out of it. But her son had died, so I just wrote it off as heavy sedation. She also looked like she had just gotten some Restylane done also.
Hollywood loves tragic deaths. Sick[/quote]

People have long compared her to Marilyn (and concluded that she doesn’t compare and derided her for being too fat or too crass or whatever). And of course the tabloids and media will make a circus of her death, as they do with all celebrities. And yes she probably did have a bunch of surgeries and take a lot of drugs. But none of that is reason to not feel badly for her.

Getting past all the hype and media image, she was a human being (the same as any of us) who struggled hard through life, had many successes but also a mountain of problems including the death of her 20 yr old son, a slew of lawsuits, and I’m guessing a constant inability to find peace and satisfaction and constantly being surrounded by people who didn’t care about her at all but were simply trying to use her, till she died at a very young age. I find that sad. And the fact that countless people are trying to profit off her in death as they did in life doesn’t make it any less sad; if anything that only makes it worse. What a cold world.

She had more problems than any of us could’ve handled. Parents divorced; married and gave birth as a teen, divorced shortly after, shot to superstardom but had major yo-yo weight problems, married 80 yr-old billionaire and inherited huge fortune when he died year later, inheritance overturned on appeal then dragged all the way to USSupCt, just gave birth as single mother, 20 yr old son OD’d shortly thereafter, plus various other lawsuits, patrimony suits, etc. I feel sorry for her too. This end seemed somewhat inevitable.[/quote]

Don’t feel too sorry for her. America is going to imortalize her in some form or fashion. People are already drawing the Marylin Monroe comparison. All her “friends” are coming out to speak on her behalf and bash her current ‘husband’ . I saw her last interview, and her speech was slurred and she looked out of it. But her son had died, so I just wrote it off as heavy sedation. She also looked like she had just gotten some Restylane done also.
Hollywood loves tragic deaths. Sick[/quote]

People have long compared her to Marilyn (and concluded that she doesn’t compare and derided her for being too fat or too crass or whatever). And of course the tabloids and media will make a circus of her death, as they do with all celebrities. And yes she probably did have a bunch of surgeries and take a lot of drugs. But none of that is reason to not feel badly for her.

Getting past all the hype and media image, she was a human being (the same as any of us) who struggled hard through life, had many successes but also a mountain of problems including the death of her 20 yr old son, a slew of lawsuits, and I’m guessing a constant inability to find peace and satisfaction and constantly being surrounded by people who didn’t care about her at all but were simply trying to use her, till she died at a very young age. I find that sad. And the fact that countless people are trying to profit off her in death as they did in life doesn’t make it any less sad; if anything that only makes it worse. What a cold world.[/quote]

I agree with Mother Theresa. I definitely feel sorry for her. I certainly hope she finds the kind of peace now that she never could in life.

Thanks for the pictures, babe. Rest in peace.

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]

Getting past all the hype and media image, she was a human being (the same as any of us) who struggled hard through life, had many successes but also a mountain of problems including the death of her 20 yr old son, a slew of lawsuits, and I’m guessing a constant inability to find peace and satisfaction and constantly being surrounded by people who didn’t care about her at all but were simply trying to use her, till she died at a very young age. I find that sad. And the fact that countless people are trying to profit off her in death as they did in life doesn’t make it any less sad; if anything that only makes it worse. What a cold world.[/quote]

I agree with the last part about people trying to profit. So far, most of the ‘profiting’ has been thru media attention. Everyone has a story to tell. Now Zaza Gabor’s husband wants to claim that he’s the father of her daughter.
I think I just don’t see sad in the same way MT. Sad has a element of pity,IMO. So, i guess I rather feel empathy for her life…

The Washington Post has an interesting article called “The Fantasy Of Happily Ever After: Anna Nicole Smith Stripped Marriage Of Its Illusions” that looks at Anna as courtesan. A few excerpts:

[quote]Our continuum of sexual alliances runs from the happy marriage of loving equals, on one end, to prostitution – the pure exchange of sex for money – on the other. The trophy bride, the marriage of youth and beauty to age and power, is the closest we have to the category of the courtesan – but it involves the collective pretense that it isn’t only about money…

When Anna Nicole Smith, a voluptuous 26-year-old Playboy Playmate, married an octogenarian oil-rich billionaire, she crossed a line, assuming too high a place in our supposedly mobile society. After her elderly husband died a little over a year later, she stood to inherit $474 million (still in legal dispute), and her name became shorthand for marital opportunism…

Society took its revenge, confining her to gossip magazines and scandal sheets, foreclosing her appearance in the black-and-white party photos of respectable magazines, where trophy brides appear smiling and dazzling with their balding, sagging, tremendously rich husbands.

For centuries, there have been men who have wondered why women really love them. That the real sexual allure of men may not be their good looks, their masculinity or their charm, but rather their power and position, can make men wonder whether they are loved for themselves or for something external and unrelated. When marriages don’t look like they look in storybooks – love matches between princes and princesses – intimacy is shadowed with doubt…

We never really knew what motivated Anna Nicole Smith’s marriage. Perhaps it wasn’t so crass and calculating as it seemed from the outside. But she was clearly unhappy. Now she seems merely a sad and pathetic creature, rather like her forebears in the world of courtesans, Manon (Abbe Prevost’s doomed courtesan) and Violetta (Verdi’s hooker with a heart of gold) and Proust’s Odette. We are at the end of the opera, the wandering woman is dead, and now the clown is the victim. Neither category really does her justice, and so the false tears and moral clucking will sound together – a reminder that we have eliminated yet another sexual category that allowed for contradiction and ambiguity.[/quote]

No one’s mentioned it yet and I’ve been offline for a few days. One of the icons of the Apartheid struggle in South Africa, Dr. Adelaide Tambo, wife (and freedom fighter in her own right) of the late struggle hero Oliver Tambo died on Wednesday. She was 77 and it’s more sad because she was one of the really good ones left. Of the great hero’s against Apartheid that leaves almost only Nelson Mandela and Archbishop Desmond Tutu.

This is her picture:

Nelson Mandela (left) and her late husband Oliver Tambo (right).

Full article can be found here:
news24.com/News24/AnanziArti … 36,00.html

Rest in peace Mama Tambo…

[quote]Alan D. Eames, 59, Scholar of Beers Around the World, Dies

Alan Eames with a sack of malted corn on a trip to Peru in 1991.

Alan D. Eames, who cultivated his reputation as “the Indiana Jones of beer” by crawling into Egyptian tombs to read hieroglyphics about beer and voyaging along the Amazon in search of a mysterious lost black brew, died on Feb. 10 at his home in Dummerston, Vt. He was 59.

His wife, Sheila, said he died after suffering respiratory failure while he slept.

Mr. Eames called himself a beer anthropologist, a role that allowed him to expound on subjects like what he put forward as the world’s oldest beer advertisement, dating to roughly 4000 B.C.

In it a Mesopotamian stone tablet depicted a headless woman with enormous breasts holding goblets of beer in each hand. The tagline, at least in his interpretation, was: “Drink Elba, the beer with the heart of a lion.”

He explored similar topics in seven books, the best known of which was “The Secret Life of Beer” (1995), in myriad radio and television appearances and in speeches at colleges and other institutions. A typical title: “Beer: A Gift from God, or the Devil’s Training Wheels.”

Mr. Eames, who followed the golden liquid to 44 countries, often told about his perilous trek high in the Andes in pursuit of an ancient brew made from strawberries the size of baseballs. Or about Aztecs forbidding drunkenness except among those 52 years of age or older. Or about accounts that said Norse ale was served with garlic to ward off evil.

Mr. Eames’s favorite and perhaps most startling message was that beer is the most feminine of beverages. He said that in almost all ancient societies beer was considered a gift from a goddess, never a male god. Most often, women began the brewing process by chewing grains and spitting them into a pot to form a fermentable mass.

Alan Duane Eames was born on April 16, 1947, in Gardner, Mass. His father was Warren Baker Eames, a Harvard-trained anthropologist. By the time he was 11, young Alan was advertising his magic act. He graduated from Mark Hopkins College in Brattleboro, Vt., now closed.

In 1968, he moved to New York City and opened an art gallery. He spent evenings at the New York Public Library researching beer.

His beer-related business ventures began in the mid-1970s with his acquisition of Gleason’s Package Store in Templeton, Mass., which became known for its large beer selection. He conceived, designed and operated Three Dollar Dewey’s Ale House in Portland, Me., and another with the same name in Brattleboro.

He found ways to cash in on his celebrity, including helping market Guinness stout. In an interview with The St. Petersburg Times, he lauded its “rich dark color, the creamy white head that leaves delicate traces of foamy lace on the inside of the glass.”

He concluded, “It is one of the great joys in this vale of tears.”

Mr. Eames was the founding director of the American Museum of Brewing History and Fine Arts in Fort Mitchell, Ky., known for its festive “beer camps.” He contributed items on subjects from ancient times to the mid-19th century to the Encyclopedia of Beer.

But beer did not always pay expenses, and Mr. Eames sometimes had to take jobs like packing boxes in a vitamin factory and tending bar.

Mr. Eames is survived by his fourth wife, the former Sheila Momaney; his sons, Adrian and Andrew, both of Dummerston; his daughter, Elena Eames of Brattleboro; his stepsons Logan and Riley Johnson, of Dummerston; his father, of East Templeton, Mass., and York Beach, Me.; his mother, Mavis Franks of Denham Springs, La.; his sister, Holiday Eames of Westminster, Vt.; his half-brother, Mark Warner of Baton Rouge, La., and one grandson.

Alan Eames, who never learned to drive or use a computer, wrote his last article about witchcraft and beer. He himself stopped drinking the stuff eight years ago.
New York Times[/quote]

A dedicated man cut short.

Arthur M. Schlesinger Jr. RIP

nytimes.com/2007/02/28/washi … er.html?hp

[quote=“flike”]Molly Ivins, of cancer.
Her heart was so big, it’s a great loss. :America:

[/quote]

Molly Ivans made me proud to be a Texan. This is truly awful. :frowning:

Jean Baudrillard dies.

“We are becoming like cats, slyly parasitic, enjoying an indifferent domesticity. Nice and snug in the social, our historic passions have withdrawn into the glow of an artificial coziness, and our half-closed eyes now seek little other than the peaceful parade of television pictures.”

[quote]
Jean Baudrillard, 77, Critic and Theorist of Hyperreality, Dies

The French critic and provocateur Jean Baudrillard, whose theories about consumer culture and the manufactured nature of reality were intensely discussed both in rarefied philosophical circles and in blockbuster movies like “The Matrix,” died yesterday in Paris. He was 77.

Michel Delorme, director of Galilee, Mr. Baudrillard’s publisher, announced his death, which he said followed a long illness.

Mr. Baudrillard, the first in his family to attend a university, became a member of a small caste of celebrated and influential French intellectuals who achieved international fame despite the density and difficulty of their work.

The author of more than 50 books and an accomplished photographer, Mr. Baudrillard ranged across different subjects, from race and gender to literature and art to 9/11. His comments often sparked controversy, as when he said in 1991 that the gulf war “did not take place” — arguing that it was more of a media event than a war.

Mr. Baudrillard was once considered a postmodern guru, but his analyses of modern life were too original and idiosyncratic to fit any partisan or theoretical category. “He was one of a kind,” François Busnel, the editor in chief of the monthly literary magazine Lire, said yesterday. “He did not choose sides, he was very independent.”

With a round face and big, thick glasses, Mr. Baudrillard was known for his witty aphorisms and black humor. He described the sensory flood of the modern media culture as “the ecstasy of communication.”

One of his better known theories postulates that we live in a world where simulated feelings and experiences have replaced the real thing. This seductive “hyperreality,” where shopping malls, amusement parks and mass-produced images from the news, television shows and films dominate, is drained of authenticity and meaning. Since illusion reigns, he counseled people to give up the search for reality.

“All of our values are simulated,” he told The New York Times in 2005. “What is freedom? We have a choice between buying one car or buying another car? It’s a simulation of freedom.”

This idea was picked up by the American filmmakers Andy and Larry Wachowski, who included subtle references to Mr. Baudrillard in their “Matrix” trilogy. In the first movie of the series, “The Matrix” (1999), the computer hacker hero Neo opens Mr. Baudrillard’s book “Simulacra and Simulation,” which turns out to be only a simulation of a book, hollowed out to hold computer disks. Mr. Baudrillard later told The Times that the movie references to his work “stemmed mostly from misunderstandings.”

He was also a fierce critic of consumer culture in which people bought objects not out of genuine need but because of the status and meaning they bestowed.

Born in 1929 in Reims, Mr. Baudrillard later attended university in Paris, earning a doctorate in sociology while teaching German to high school students. He published his first book, “The Object System,” in 1968.

In 1986 he published a kind of travelogue called “America,” in which he wrote, “America is the original version of modernity,” referring to what he considered the almost complete blurring of reality and unreality. To his French readers, he said: “We are a copy with subtitles.”

He retired in 1987 from the University of Paris X, Nanterre, and then devoted himself to writing caustic commentaries and developing his philosophical theories. Although he shunned most media, he frequently wrote for newspapers.

“The Spirit of Terrorism: And Requiem for the Twin Towers” was published just a year after 9/11. In it, he argued that Islamic fundamentalists tried to create their own reality; the resulting media spectacle would give the impression that the West was constantly under threat of terrorist attack.

The current American invasion of Iraq is an effort to “put the rest of the world into simulation, so all the world becomes total artifice and then we are all-powerful,” he told The Times. “It’s a game.”

Like other postmodernists with whom he was often associated (despite their differences), he was frequently criticized as obscure. “If the texts seem incomprehensible, it is for the excellent reason that they mean precisely nothing,” Alan Sokal and Jean Bricmont wrote in their 1998 book “Fashionable Nonsense: Postmodern Intellectuals’ Abuse of Science.”

Mr. Baudrillard was not unaware of the problem. “What I’m going to write will have less and less chance of being understood,” he said, “but that’s my problem.”[/quote]

Bummer. Jean Baudrillard wrote some good stuff. :frowning:

And maybe 3% of it you actually understood.

And maybe 3% of it you actually understood.[/quote]And if it were only 0.3%, I got meself just a wee bit smrtr.

“Are You Being Served?” actor John Inman dies:

[i]"John Inman, best known for his role as camp shop assistant Mr Humphries in the long-running BBC comedy “Are You Being Served?” died aged 71 on Thursday.
ADVERTISEMENT

Inman, who later became a pantomime regular, was one of the sitcom’s most memorable cast members and his catchphrase “I’m free” became part of popular culture.

In 1976, he was voted “Funniest Man On Television” by readers of TV Times magazine and was also named BBC TV’s “Personality Of The Year.”[/i]

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070308/tv_nm/inman_dc

[quote=“Dangermouse”]“Are You Being Served?” actor John Inman dies:

[i]"John Inman, best known for his role as camp shop assistant Mr Humphries in the long-running BBC comedy “Are You Being Served?” died aged 71 on Thursday.
ADVERTISEMENT

Inman, who later became a pantomime regular, was one of the sitcom’s most memorable cast members and his catchphrase “I’m free” became part of popular culture.

In 1976, he was voted “Funniest Man On Television” by readers of TV Times magazine and was also named BBC TV’s “Personality Of The Year.”[/i]

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070308/tv_nm/inman_dc[/quote]

So sad… :frowning:

[quote=“Chris”][quote=“Dangermouse”]“Are You Being Served?” actor John Inman dies:

ADVERTISEMENT

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070308/tv_nm/inman_dc[/quote]

So sad… :frowning:[/quote]
Indeed. :frowning:

RIP Mr. Humphries.
I watch an episode of AYBS almost everyday.

One of the best vocalists of Rock 'n Roll has passed.

[quote]
ATKINSON, N.H. — Brad Delp, the lead singer for the band Boston, was found dead Friday in his home in southern New Hampshire. He was 55.

Atkinson police responded to a call for help at 1:20 p.m. and found Delp dead. Lt. William Baldwin said in a statement the death was “untimely” and that there was no indication of foul play.

Delp apparently was alone at the time, Baldwin said.

The cause of his death remained under investigation. Police said an incident report would not be available until Monday.
foxnews.com/story/0,2933,258108,00.html[/quote]

He was in a bad motorcycle wreck in Nov 2006. Maybe complications from that.
Good guy, great vocalist and fantastic Rock Band.

[quote=“Tainan Cowboy”]He was in a bad motorcycle wreck in Nov 2006. Maybe complications from that.
Good guy, great vocalist and fantastic Rock Band.[/quote]

Absolutely. Boston were well before my time, but I can still remember listening to them frequently. “More than a feeling” was one of the first songs I can remember as I started to get into “serious music.”

At 55, it’s a real shame.

[quote] Comedy Central favorite dies at 45.

Stand-up comedian and actor Richard Jeni, a regular on NBC’s The Tonight Show, has died in an apparent suicide, police said Sunday.

Los Angeles police spokeswoman Norma Eisenman said a woman called police Saturday morning from the West Hollywood area and said: “My boyfriend just shot himself in the face.” [/quote]

tv.com/story/9049.html?om_ac … es;title;0

Boston sucked, but the death of their singer is very sad, especially because it was suicide. News reports state he killed himself by carbon monoxide.
boston.com/news/local/new_ha … EWell_Pos3

Severe depression can be hard to comprehend. The guy had children (and an exwife), was engaged to be married, must have been fairly wealthy (maybe in the top 1% worldwide), lived in a beautiful, peaceful place (New Hampshire), was still making music. Things seemed fairly good for him. Surely whatever problems he had – even his apparent depression – could easily have been surmounted. Strange that he couldn’t see it that way.

And there was another apparently wealthy, successful celebrity who just took his life a week earlier: Richard Jeni, who was a stand-up comic, actor and joke writer for Chris Rock. News reports state he blew his brains out.
in.today.reuters.com/news/newsAr … 0848-1.xml

My condolences to both of their families. I guess we all owe a duty to look after those around us and see if anyone we know is in need of help. :frowning:

Hey! To each his own. Maybe you don’t like Boston, but is this thread the right place for that kind of comment? Geez… :unamused: