The Morgue 2008

Sir Edmund Hilary, the first (or second) to set foot on the top of Mt Everest.

[quote]Everest conqueror Sir Edmund Hillary has died, New Zealand Prime Minister Helen Clark announced today.

He died this morning at the age of 88.

Sir Edmund became the first person to stand on Mt Everest, the world’s highest peak, on June 2, 1953 - the day of Queen Elizabeth’s coronation[/quote]

http://www.theage.com.au/news/world/sir-edmund-hillary-dies/2008/01/11/1199988545460.html

Oh sure, start by taking one of the more interesting characters. :frowning:

From the title of this post, I was led to believe we’re supposed to predict 5 famous people that will die in 2008?

So here these are my guesses:

1. Ross Perot
  2. Angela Lansbury
  3. Stan Lee
  4. Jimmy Page
  5. Arnold Palmer

I’ll buy a tall can of Taiwan beer for each entry that expires after today’s date.

What about the young, screwed-up crowd? Britney Spears and the like? People always predict the old farts will croak, but if you ask me, she’s near the top of the list to be found dead soon.

Brad Renfro, only 25. http://edition.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/Movies/01/15/renfro.obit.ap/index.html :loco:

[quote=“Dragonbones”]What about the young, screwed-up crowd? Britney Spears and the like? People always predict the old farts will croak, but if you ask me, she’s near the top of the list to be found dead soon.

Brad Renfro, only 25. http://edition.CNN.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/Movies/01/15/renfro.obit.ap/index.html :loco:[/quote]

I remember that boy. Well I guess now he’s a man. Too bad about his untimely demise; that smack will do it every time.

Good point about the Hollywood youth. So are you predicting either a Lohan/Spears scandal? I was thinking that Macaulay Culkin could be up there too since his last movie was given pretty poor reviews. But then I remember that he grew up in Montana or something so he’s probably pretty tough under all that weirdness.

New rule: if someone correctly guesses an entry under age 30, double payout.

[quote=“rocky raccoon”][quote=“Dragonbones”]What about the young, screwed-up crowd? Britney Spears and the like? People always predict the old farts will croak, but if you ask me, she’s near the top of the list to be found dead soon.

Brad Renfro, only 25. http://edition.CNN.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/Movies/01/15/renfro.obit.ap/index.html :loco:[/quote]

I remember that boy. Well I guess now he’s a man. Too bad about his untimely demise; that smack will do it every time.

Good point about the Hollywood youth. So are you predicting either a Lohan/Spears scandal? I was thinking that Macaulay Culkin could be up there too since his last movie was given pretty poor reviews. But then I remember that he grew up in Montana or something so he’s probably pretty tough under all that weirdness.

New rule: if someone correctly guesses an entry under age 30, double payout.[/quote]
How old are you?

[quote=“Dr. McCoy”]
How old are you?[/quote]

Computer says no.

Shoot. I wanted that double payout.

Ha, okay you can use me as a guess, but then someone else would have to give you the double payout.

Guess?
Oh, I see. Guess. I guess one of Britney’s kids.

[quote=“Dr. McCoy”]Guess?
Oh, I see. Guess. I guess one of Britney’s kids.[/quote]

LOL.

(I think I’m going straight to hell…but that’s funny and morbid at the same time.)

We used to play the death lottery when I was at university. I guess we were all feckless and morally degenerate students and it was a reprehensible thing to do, but dammit, Perry Como made me a fair bit of cash.

Bobby Fischer.

Checkmate.

latimes.com/news/obituaries/ … obituaries

the guy who made hula hoops and Frisbee forever ubiquitous

A long time fixture for Canadian broadcasting has passed away. If you lived in Canada and listened to or watched sports on TV, it was impossible not to hear this man’s voice.

Longtime CBC broadcaster Don Wittman dies of cancer at age 71

[quote]WINNIPEG - Don Wittman, whose smooth baritone voice called some of Canada’s most significant sports, has died of cancer. He was 71.

For more than 40 years, Wittman was a familiar face on CBC television. He did the play-by-play for Grey Cups and Stanley Cups, plus covered curling, golf and track and field. He was a fixture at both summer and winter Olympics. [/quote]

[quote=“dablindfrog”]http://www.latimes.com/news/obituaries/la-me-knerr17jan17,0,1584494.story?coll=la-home-obituaries

the guy who made hula hoops and Frisbee forever ubiquitous

The guy in your photo kind of looks like Tobias from Arrested Development.

Suzanne Pleshette | 1937-2008

A photo gallery

Suzanne Pleshette starred in the 1969 film comedy “If It’s Tuesday, This Must Be Belgium.”

This is how I’ll remember her.

Sorry to hear about that one. Loved her on The Bob Newhart Show.

Allan Melvin, better known as Sam the Butcher from the Brady Bunch:

He was also the voice of Magilla Gorilla.

one of the last 2 remaining 1st world war veteran has passed away.

only 1 poilu remaining :frowning: