The Morgue 2008

Another sad, screwed up Hollywood family.

[quote] Christian Brando, 49, dies of pneumonia

Christian Brando, the troubled son of actor Marlon Brando, who made headlines in 1990 when he was arrested in the shooting death of his half-sister’s boyfriend, died early Saturday. He was 49.

Brando died from complications of pneumonia at Hollywood Presbyterian Medical Center in Los Angeles, said David J. Seeley, an attorney for Marlon Brando’s estate.

The legal proceedings against Brando for the killing of Dag Drollet caused a firestorm of media attention. His legendary actor father used his estate near Coldwater Canyon to post the $2 million bond for his son and later offered rambling and emotional testimony pleading for leniency for the oldest of his nine children.

Christian Brando, then 32, eventually pleaded guilty to voluntary manslaughter in the death of the 26-year-old Drollet, Cheyenne Brando’s lover and the father of her unborn child. Brando was given a 10-year prison sentence but ended up serving nearly five years at the California Men’s Colony at San Luis Obispo. He was also sentenced to three years probation.

Years later, the younger Brando would be called to court in another high-profile legal case, the civil trial of Robert Blake in the murder of his wife, Bonny Lee Bakley. . .

Christian Brando was born in Los Angeles on May 11, 1958. His mother was Marlon Brando’s first wife, the Calcutta-born actress Anna Kashfi. But Christian was still a toddler when the couple separated and divorced. A protracted custody battle ensued.

Kashfi was initially awarded custody of her son, but that order was removed five years later when a judge declared that her “reliance on drugs and alcohol” contributed to an uncontrollable temper. The court ordered that Christian, then 6, live with the actor’s older sister. By 1972, Marlon Brando – who by that time had married twice more and had three more children – was granted custody of Christian, who was raised by nannies and sent to boarding school in Ojai.

But while the actor was out of the country filming “Last Tango in Paris,” Kashfi allegedly kidnapped Christian and took him to Baja. The boy was eventually found living in a tent and ill with bronchitis.

Kashfi continued to press for custody but gave up her struggle in 1974 when her ex-husband pledged that she would get reasonable visitation rights with her son.

As for Christian, he dropped out of school in 11th grade and began drinking and using LSD, tried a variety of jobs including welder and tree trimmer and lived for a time in Alaska, piloting a barge for a fish processor during the summers. But he mostly lived for years with his father in Brando’s hilltop estate. . .

In pleading for a reduced sentence for his son, the elder Brando took the stand in the Santa Monica courthouse and said: “I think that perhaps I failed as a father.”

“I’m certain that there were things that I could have done differently, had I known better at the time,” the elder Brando said, at times choking back tears. “But I didn’t.”

While in prison, Christian Brando completed his high school equivalency degree and worked in a vocational education machine shop.

His father died at 80 on July 1, 2004. In 1995, Cheyenne hanged herself at her mother’s home outside Papeete, the French Polynesian capital on the island of Tahiti. She was 25. Cheyenne was the daughter of Brando and Tarita Teriipaia, who were married after appearing together in the 1962 film “Mutiny on the Bounty.” Cheyenne’s son, Tuki, was being raised in Tahiti by Drollet’s parents.

In 2005, Christian Brando was called to testify in Blake’s civil trial. However, Brando, who was briefly romantically involved with Bakley, invoked the 5th Amendment and refused to answer questions about his relationship with her. He was fined $1,000 for contempt of court. When Bakley had a baby girl in June 2000, she named her Christian Shannon Brando and led Brando to believe he was the father. A paternity test later established that Blake was the father and the baby’s name was changed to Rose Sophia Lenore Blake. . .[/quote]
link

Going to court with Dad in child custody matter in 1972.

1990 booking photo after being arrested for the murder of his half-sister’s boyfriend.

Dad helping him out at his murder trial.

Going to court in 2005 when called to testify in connection with the murdered wife of Robert Blake.

RIP

May he rest in peace. And it was not his fault that Hollywood is fugged up.

CNN is broadcasting reports that he has just died.

CNN is broadcasting reports that he has just died.[/quote]

Yip. I think the article below is a good summury of his legacy.

reuters.com/article/latestCrisis/idUSSP84074

Wow. Married for 70 years? :bravo:

[quote=“jdsmith”]
Wow. Married for 70 years? :bravo:[/quote]

Mormons believe in “celestial marriage.” If a Mormom receives this ceremony (and I’m sure as the head of LDS, he did), their marriage lasts beyond the grave and through eternity.

Odd, I was just finishing up watching Oliver Stone’s Nixon on DVD last night and one of the scenes in the movie I really enjoy is where Nixon and Kissinger go to meet Mao in China. Their communication is of course aided by Mao’s interpreter. Great scene. Anyway, the real life interpreter, Zhang Hanzhi, died yesterday at 73.

[quote]Chairman Mao’s English tutor/interpreter dies

Reuters

2008-01-28 12:54 AM

The debonair Chinese diplomat who tutored Chairman Mao in English has died, ending an eventful life that began as an abandoned child and brought her next to Mao and U.S. President Richard Nixon as they shared toasts and jokes.

Zhang Hanzhi died on Saturday aged 73 after an unspecified lung ailment, the Beijing News reported yesterday, citing her daughter.

Zhang will receive a funeral at Babaoshan, the cemetery for the Communist Party’s elite, in a mark of her status as a diplomat closely involved in talks between China and the United States over normalizing relations in the 1970s.

She was born in Shanghai in 1935, the illegitimate daughter of a shop assistant and a powerful businessman. She was adopted by a lawyer, Zhang Shizhao, an official in the Nationalist government who shifted his loyalties to the Communists who took power in 1949.

Zhang was teaching English at a Beijing university in late 1963, when she accompanied her father to a birthday dinner for Mao Zedong, the Communist Party’s all-powerful leader.

Mao asked her to be his English tutor, and Zhang was launched on a life as his teacher, interpreter and confidante.

“The Chairman wanted the lessons to start the following day! I was dumfounded. I was to teach the great leader whom over a billion people worshipped as their god,” Zhang recounted in Time magazine in 1999.

The lessons ended abruptly and Zhang endured the turmoil of Mao’s radical Cultural Revolution until the early 1970s, when Mao summoned her to work in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs as he explored opening ties with the United States.

Zhang attended Mao’s and Premier Zhou Enlai’s talks with Nixon and his key foreign policy adviser Henry Kissinger. Later she joined China’s delegation to the United Nations.

She scandalized officials by divorcing her then husband and then marrying Qiao Guanhua, the head of China’s U.N. delegation who became foreign minister in the 1970s.

In recent years, Zhang ? always elegantly dressed - enjoyed a burst of national celebrity after she published several bestselling memoirs of her times near the apex of power.[/quote]

CNN is broadcasting reports that he has just died.[/quote]

Yip. I think the article below is a good summury of his legacy.[/quote]
Right. A better summary can be heard in this Democracy Now podcast.

And so ends the ‘Year of Living Dangerously’…

Shameless plug for, IMO, a great movie.

Margaret Truman, the only child of former President Harry S. Truman who became a concert singer, actress, radio and TV personality and mystery writer, died Tuesday. She was 83.

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]And so ends the ‘Year of Living Dangerously’…

Shameless plug for, IMO, a great movie.[/quote]

Yeah, a great movie indeed, but one movie you definitely don’t want to watch (like Platoon) if you are trying to quite smoking.

Jeremy Beadle UK entertainer and apparent all round good bloke.
news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7217342.stm

I’ve never got over how much he looked like Zhang Fei

Exhibit A J Beadle

Exhibit B Zhang Fei

Two of the best agriculture sectretaries the US ever had in my opinion were Henry A. Wallace and Earl Butz --Wallace, for expanding the role of government in agriculture during the depression and Butz for his free market policies during the 1970s. Earl Butz, a former U.S. secretary of agriculture who was popular among farmers in his native Indiana but controversial in Washington, died Saturday in Washington. He was 98.

indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a … TAINMENT01
bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid= … 4&refer=us
answers.com/topic/earl-butz

RIP Mr. Butz

Last man in iconic Iwo Jima flag-raising photo dies

Transcendental Meditation guru Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, at age 91 or thereabouts.

WWI vet dead at 108

John McWethy, ABC newsman

[quote]Jaws star Roy Scheider dies at 75

Scheider was one of Hollywood’s biggest stars of the 1970s
US actor Roy Scheider, best known for playing the police chief in the Jaws movies, has died at the age of 75.
As well as starring in the first two shark thrillers, Scheider received two Oscar nominations during his career.

He was up for best supporting actor for The French Connection in 1972 and best actor for 1979’s All That Jazz.
[/quote]

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”][quote]Jaws star Roy Scheider dies at 75

Scheider was one of Hollywood’s biggest stars of the 1970s
US actor Roy Scheider, best known for playing the police chief in the Jaws movies, has died at the age of 75.
As well as starring in the first two shark thrillers, Scheider received two Oscar nominations during his career.

He was up for best supporting actor for The French Connection in 1972 and best actor for 1979’s All That Jazz.
[/quote][/quote]
I had no idea he was 75 already. Roy was truly great. He will be missed.