The Morgue - 2010

He will not be missed.

He will not be missed.[/quote]
Couldn’t have happened to a “nicer” guy. They’ll be dancing in the streets of Halabja today!

It was actually news to me, because I was under the impression that Saddam and his entire evil brood had all already succumbed to justice. Are there any others left? Was he the last one?

His bud Donny Rumsfeld is still on the loose.

His bud Donny Rumsfeld is still on the loose.[/quote]
:notworthy: :notworthy: Great quip.

Actually, that may not be true. Of course it’s no excuse and doesn’t mean he shouldn’t have been convicted or executed, but it’s possible he may be missed, at least by his family. Here, for example, is Saddam Hussein with his family.

Here’s Chairman Mao with his son.

Heck, even Dick Cheney appears to have a loving family.

So, you never know; maybe Chemical Ali was a loving father and devoted husband and will be sorely missed.

MT -
That is one of the weirdest posts I have ever seen in my life.

It looks like Chemical Alis’ death is hitting you pretty hard.

Sorry man.

Chairman Mao left half his newborn kids on the roadside to die, during the long march, according to the Jung Chang and Jon Halliday biog.

Murdering people is never cool, unless it’s to prevent further murder.

Jean Merilyn Simmons, OBE, (January 31, 1929 – January 22, 2010 has passed.

Fantastic actress, intelligent woman and quite beautiful.

Jean Simmons Photo Gallery

What does “passed” mean? She/he gave the ball to another player?

Perhaps best explained by…once again…Monty Python…

“…'E’s passed on! This parrot is no more! He has ceased to be! 'E’s expired and gone to meet 'is maker! 'E’s a stiff! Bereft of life, 'e rests in peace! If you hadn’t nailed 'im to the perch 'e’d be pushing up the daisies! 'Is metabolic processes are now 'istory! 'E’s off the twig! 'E’s kicked the bucket, 'e’s shuffled off ‘is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin’ choir invisibile!!”

Couldn’t have happened to a “nicer” guy. [/quote]
You can say that again. Good riddance.

Pernell Roberts
Headed off to the Bonanza in the sky. He was the last surviving Cartright.

Ruben Kruger, former Springbok flank and 1995 Rugby World Cup winner, passed away in Pretoria on Wednesday night after a protracted battle with brain cancer.

[quote]Nicknamed the “Silent Assassin” by coach Kitch Christie during the 1995 Rugby World Cup he scored a controversial try in the semifinal played in a deluge against France in Durban but was denied what appeared to be a certain try by referee Ed Morrison in the Ellis Park Final.
Kruger made his debut for the Springboks against Argentina in 1993 and went on to play 36 test matches for South Africa, scoring seven tries. At provincial level he was a stalwart of both Free State and the Blue Bulls.

Kruger, who would have turned 40 on March 30, was diagnosed with a brain tumour soon after his playing career ended in 1999.

Kruger, who hailed from Vrede in the Free State and went to Grey College, is survived by his wife Lize and two daughters Zoe and Bella.[/quote]
He will be missed.

Wow, bummer. Big, strong, healthy-looking dude.

I have always admired the Springboks, and Ruben Kruger was one of the greats. :notworthy:

Well, damn. There’s one less stubborn light on tonight.

[quote=“New York Times”]Howard Zinn, an author, teacher and political activist whose book “A People’s History of the United States” became a million-selling leftist alternative to mainstream texts, died Wednesday in Santa Monica, Calif. He was 87 and lived in Auburndale, Mass.

The cause was a heart attack, his daughter Myla Kabat-Zinn said.

Published in 1980 with little promotion and a first printing of 5,000, “A People’s History” was, fittingly, a people’s best-seller, attracting a wide audience through word of mouth and reaching 1 million sales in 2003. Although Professor Zinn was writing for a general readership, his book was taught in high schools and colleges throughout the country, and numerous companion editions were published, including “Voices of a People’s History,” a volume for young people and a graphic novel.

“A People’s History” told an openly left-wing story. Professor Zinn accused Christopher Columbus and other explorers of committing genocide, picked apart presidents from Andrew Jackson to Franklin D. Roosevelt and celebrated workers, feminists and war resisters.

Even liberal historians were uneasy with Professor Zinn, who taught for many years at Boston University. Arthur M. Schlesinger Jr. once said: “I know he regards me as a dangerous reactionary. And I don’t take him very seriously. He’s a polemicist, not a historian.”

In a 1998 interview with The Associated Press, Professor Zinn acknowledged that he was not trying to write an objective history, or a complete one. He called his book a response to traditional works, the first chapter, not the last, of a new kind of history.

“There’s no such thing as a whole story; every story is incomplete,” Professor Zinn said. “My idea was the orthodox viewpoint has already been done a thousand times.”
[…]
Born in New York in 1922, Professor Zinn was the son of Jewish immigrants who as a child lived in a rundown area in Brooklyn and responded strongly to the novels of Charles Dickens. At age 17, urged on by some young Communists in his neighborhood, he attended a political rally in Times Square.

“Suddenly, I heard the sirens sound, and I looked around and saw the policemen on horses galloping into the crowd and beating people,” he told The A.P. “I couldn’t believe that.”

“And then I was hit. I turned around and I was knocked unconscious. I woke up sometime later in a doorway, with Times Square quiet again, eerie, dreamlike, as if nothing had transpired. I was ferociously indignant.”

War continued his education. Eager to help wipe out the Nazis, he joined the Army Air Corps in 1943 and even persuaded the local draft board to let him mail his own induction notice. He flew missions throughout Europe, receiving an Air Medal, but he found himself questioning what it all meant. Back home, he gathered his medals and papers, put them in a folder and wrote on top: “Never again.”
[…]
One of Professor Zinn’s last public writings was a brief essay, published last week in The Nation, about the first year of the Obama administration.

“I’ve been searching hard for a highlight,” he wrote, adding that he wasn’t disappointed because he never expected a lot from President Obama.

“I think people are dazzled by Obama’s rhetoric, and that people ought to begin to understand that Obama is going to be a mediocre president — which means, in our time, a dangerous president — unless there is some national movement to push him in a better direction.”[/quote]

And another man of letters.
J.D. Salinger, Author of ‘The Catcher in the Rye’, dead at 91.

[quote=“Jaboney”]And another man of letters.
J.D. Salinger, Author of ‘The Catcher in the Rye’, dead at 91.[/quote]

I think in the end he just wanted to go quietly mad by himself.

At least he won’t be bothered by anyone anymore.

I guess the coast is clear to make a movie now. I reckon Oliver Stone will fancy it.

‘Poltergeist’ actress dies at age 76

“This house is clean…”