The Morgue 2014

Harold Ramis of Stripes and Ghostbusters fame.

Paco de Lucia.

[quote]Paco de Lucía, the man whose name was synonymous with flamenco guitar and who popularized the music worldwide with his mix of virtuosity and accessible melodies, died of a reported heart attack this morning near the Mexican resort city of Cancún. De Lucía was 66.

According to published reports, de Lucía, who had a vacation home near the beaches of Tulum, was playing with his children at the beach when he began to feel ill. He died on this way to the hospital.

News of de Lucía’s death, reported by the mayor’s office of his hometown of Algeciras, Spain, reverberated worldwide and quickly became a global trend on twitter.

“We’ve lost the biggest flamenco guitarist Spain has given birth to,” tweeted Spanish group Estopa.

“Silence…my soul is broken…hear it creak. ‘Til always my friend Paco de Lucía,” tweeted Alejandro Sanz.
[/quote]

Tony Benn has departed and will be dearly missed. A politician who you felt you could believe in (although no doubt he was fiddling expenses here and there like everyone else).
He was never afraid to speak his mind. Listen to the opening of this speech.

I’m a little late with this one, from The New York Times, March 10:

[quote]William R. Pogue was the pilot of a record-setting American mission in space, and one of the very few astronauts ever to go on strike — while in orbit — to demand more time for contemplating the universe.

It led to a compromise with controllers, which made the mood during the last six weeks of the flight much more pleasant, he wrote, for “studying the Sun, the Earth below, and ourselves.”[/quote]–Paul Vitello, “William Pogue, Astronaut Who Staged a Strike in Space, Dies at 84” nytimes.com/2014/03/11/scien … at-84.html

Jack Kinzier, the guy who made Skylab usable after its heat shield malfunctioned during initial deployment.

[quote=“Nuit”]Tony Benn has departed and will be dearly missed. A politician who you felt you could believe in (although no doubt he was fiddling expenses here and there like everyone else).
He was never afraid to speak his mind. Listen to the opening of this speech.

[/quote]

I think people of a right wing persuasion should look upon Benn favourably. While he was wrong on 100% of foreign policy and 90% of domestic policy, his support for hard left policies, his support for militant unionism, and his battles for leadership against moderates in Labour, caused many to leave the party, and allowed Maggie and the Cons to win election after election! :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: Imagine if a Benn or Foot had ran Britain. It would have been an economic catastrophe.

He was a principled aristocrat (Lord Stansgate before giving up his title) who never really learned that politics is the art of compromise (which is why he loathed Third Way Blairism). His paternalistic leftism was a throwback to yesteryear, and I am glad that a daughter of a greengrocer (Thatcher) was able to modernize Britain and open up positions to the masses (e.g., financial positions in the City through de-regulation) rather than allow paternalistic leftist aristocrats try to run the show very badly.

Fred Phelps, pastor of Westboro Baptist Church

Per George Takei’s FB:

Jesse Winchester

Nothing But a Breeze: youtu.be/8QnE2aRS-cg

Jesse Winchester

Nothing But a Breeze: youtu.be/8QnE2aRS-cg

Gabriel Garcia Marquez

[quote]Always remember that the most important thing in a good marriage is not happiness, but stability.
“Life is not what one lived, but what one remembers and how one remembers it in order to recount it.”-- From his autobiography Living To Tell The Tale
“He who awaits much can expect little” – From No One Writes To The Colonel
“A person doesn’t die when he should but when he can.” – From One Hundred Years of Solitude
“Sex is the consolation you have when you can’t have love.” – From Memories Of My Melancholy Whores
“No medicine cures what happiness cannot.” – From Of Love and Other Demons "
A man knows when he is growing old because he begins to look like his father." – From Love in the Time of Cholera
“Freedom is often the first casualty of war.” – From The General In His Labyrinth
“Wisdom comes to us when it can no longer do any good.” – From Love In The Time Of Cholera
[/quote]

RIP Maya Angelou
(April 4, 1928 – May 28, 2014)

Rik Mayall.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-27770266

From his (younger) ‘Young Ones’ days.

Such a shock. :frowning:

Mr. American Top 40 dies:

CAsy Kasem will be missed. His radio show was something a lot of us liked to listen to back then. He started it all in Oakland.

sfgate.com/news/article/Case … 553898.php

[quote=“tommy525”]Mr. American Top 40 dies:

CAsy Kasem will be missed. His radio show was something a lot of us liked to listen to back then. He started it all in Oakland.

sfgate.com/news/article/Case … 553898.php[/quote]

Kasem’s wife sure sounds like a piece of work. Disgusting human being.

James Garner
http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-28390309

21 one years ago, my first love was lost

[quote=“k.k.”][quote=“tommy525”]Mr. American Top 40 dies:

sfgate.com/news/article/Case … 553898.php[/quote]

Kasem’s wife sure sounds like a piece of work. Disgusting human being.[/quote]

Last I read, he has not been buried as his “family” keeps quarreling. Ayiooo…