The Morgue 2021

Fast living indeed

Troubled life of Bay City Rollers heartthrob Les McKeown, 65 | Daily Mail Online

I’m not a big rom-com guy as they’re most often formulaic dreck aimed at total idiots. But there’s a couple I like, that transcend the usual limits of the genre and are truly special. And among those, ‘Moonstruck’ is probably the best. Really a delightful film on so many levels. Highly recommended if you haven’t seen it. One of the actresses from it (I think she played Cher’s mother) just passed sadly. RIP

3 Likes

I thought it was incredibly overrated, but the very short scene where the plumber lectures his customers is gold. :2cents:

Loved Olympia Dukakis in Moonstruck, but the best scene was where Cher was in the confessional:

• (Cher) “Bless me, Father, for I have sinned. It has been two months since my last confession.”
  • (Priest) “What sins have you to confess?”
  • (Cher) “Twice I took the name of the Lord in vain, onceIsleptwiththebrotherofmyfiance, and once I bounced a check at the liquor store, but that was really an accident.”
  • (Priest) “Then it’s not a sin. But (pause) what was that second thing you said, Loretta?”
3 Likes
1 Like

Pretty long-lived for a drug smuggler.

So they reconciled! :heart_eyes: :rainbow:

Or was she just egging him on? :thinking:

Didn’t know he was that old.

2 Likes
1 Like
2 Likes

also “Brown Bear, Brown Bear”

5 Likes

I remember my first pair of Vans. I felt like the shit.

Of any movie I have ever seen, I have seen Midnight Run the most.
Easily 15 times or more, full-length. And still laugh at all the scenes.
“Speak louder into the microphone” (bam!!!; or something like that).
Even rented VHS tape to show my students, who were Taipei office-workers, back in early 1990s. They only asked to watch videos to learn English. That was their favorite one.

1 Like

90 years old. Many extra innings.
Would watch Love Boat on ABC Saturday nights, followed by Fantasy Island. Good clean fun on both shows.
One of his top sub-roles was as tank mechanic Moriarty in Kelly’s Heroes. Love that movie. Oddball is Donald Sutherland

*Oddball : This engine’s been modified by our mechanical genius here, Moriarty. Right?

Moriarty : Whatever you say, babe. [giggles]

Oddball : These engines are the fastest in any tanks in the European Theater of Operations, forwards or backwards. You see, man, we like to feel we can get out of trouble, quicker than we got into it.

Kelly : [looking skeptical] Got any other secret weapons?

Oddball : Well, yeah, man, you see, like, all the tanks we come up against are bigger and better than ours, so all we can hope to do is, like, scare 'em away, y’know. This gun is an ordinary 76mm but we add this piece of pipe onto it, and the Krauts think, like, maybe it’s a 90mm. We got our own ammunition, it’s filled with paint. When we fire it, it makes… pretty pictures. Scares the hell outta people! We have a loudspeaker here, and when we go into battle we play music, very loud. It kind of… calms us down.

*Oddball : [looking at aerial pics of the a remaining bridge] Beautiful.

Moriarty : suppose the bridge ain’t there?

Oddball : [groans] Don’t hit me with them negative waves so early in the morning. Think the bridge will be there and it will be there. It’s a mother, beautiful bridge, and it’s gonna be there. Ok?

Oddball : [Later: Oddball is looking through binoculars at the bridge] Still up!

Oddball : [planes fly and bomb the bridge] … No it ain’t. See what sending out them negative waves did, Moriarty?

Moriarty : That ain’t my fault, Oddball, I’ve done nothing but have good thoughts about that damn bridge ever since we left!

3 Likes

A life well lived! :grin:

Guy

Regarding Gavin MacLeod, Ed Asner’s tribute is sweet yet sad:

I will see you in a bit Gavin. Tell the gang I will see them in a bit. Betty! It’s just you and me now.

3 Likes