The Morgue 2024

The Morgue 2024

David Soul - 80 years old

https://edition.cnn.com/2024/01/05/entertainment/david-soul-death/index.html

7 Likes

RIP. Until I read Soul’s obit I hadn’t realized that he’d moved to the UK and had lived in London since the mid-90s.

I wasn’t a big fan of Starsky & Hutch, so I was surprised how much I liked him in Salem’s Lot (1979). It changed my mind about him as an actor … and then Lonesome Dove changed my mind about Ricky Schroder in the same way (Silver Spoons). So I grew a little, thanks to Soul.

1 Like

On TV! What was it two or three nights in a Row? Must watch TV!

If I recall, it was 3 60-minute episodes, and I think they were aired on 3 consecutive nights, on CBS. You can wiki it for more info.

Last time I paid for Paramount+ it was available (but I didn’t watch before I dropped my subscription). Might still be there!

I’ve seen it since 1979. I think it holds up very well. “Let me in, Danny.” Scritch scritch on the window. shhhhhuder.

1 Like

I have a memory of him walking down the pitch, smoking a cigar after the 1990 final. Could be a fake memory, of course, but it’s my memory.

Der Kaiser

JPR Williams.

Wales Rugby Union great JPR Williams.
I remember him being featured on the BBC equivalent of This Is Your Life. He was introduced as JPR Williams MD. Then his mother came out, also an MD. Then his father, also an MD, who had played rugby for Wales. Then his two brothers, MDs, who also played on Welsh rugby teams.
There were five Dr. Williams on stage, four of whom played on Welsh rugby teams (no women’s rugby then, or I’m sure Mom would have been out there giving her best).

I vaguely recall JPR Williams getting busted for drunk driving. He put coins in his mouth because he believed that would fool the breath test. Probably worth getting a second opinion if you were one of his patients.

Shit, missed this. A very good leader for the NDP back in the day:

Ed Broadbent, former NDP leader, dead at 87 | CBC News

He was by all accounts an incredibly decent man.

We could use more people like this, maybe now more than ever.

Guy

This guy also apparently passed away earlier today:

The best I can say is he was no Ed Broadbent.

Guy

You’ll have to help me out with that one – you humans all kind of look the same to me (sorry).

1 Like
1 Like

There is even a new thread on him and his all-too-human mixed legacy.

Guy

Norman Jewison, director of In the Heat if the Night, Fiddler on the Roof, and Moonstruck, among many others.

2 Likes

I liked Moonstruck.

RIP! A Venusian once told me that man did more to revive the planet’s tourism industry than millennia of conventional ad campaigns… :flying_saucer:

3 Likes