The most useful tool you own

This may be the most useful tool I use.

Until I bought one of these for NT$35, I was continuously trashing sunglasses and regular glasses when the screws would fall out. Not anymore!

3 Likes

Waiting for the dick jokes…

:popcorn:

3 Likes

I own tools here all the time.

8 Likes

Or “The Most Useful Tool Xi JinPing owns”?

I’m not sure if it counts as a tool, but I love my electric brushcutter. It needs no fuel (I charge from solar) and starts every time, unlike the gasoline version.

4 Likes

A milling machine.

It can be set up to do almost every machining operations. Some easier than others. It just can’t turn round stock (I need a lathe for this).

It’s very useful.

I might add it only weights 1/4th of an elephant.

12 Likes

Corkscrew?

More seriously, a cordless drill with torque settings: drill, rattle gun, grinder/sander/polisher, etc.

2 Likes

Tiny pocket Swiss knife.

Second most useful would be a Multimeter, third a soldering iron.

1 Like

Chef’s knife.

Then a 12" cast-iron skillet.

5 Likes

Paper clip. Has a thousand useful applications, including opening that fucking SIM card slot in my phone. And great for organizing my scripts.

5 Likes

I keep one of this in my car:

Very useful for camping and small repairs.

3 Likes

6 Likes

you do know that this is illegal in Taiwan right?

Wait…paperweights aren’t legal in Taiwan? :open_mouth:

1 Like

Well, let’s just say that someone in Taiwan was selling a jewelry that looked like a brass knuckle, and was told by the police to stop.

2 Likes

Even bringing Swiss Army Knife would get a horrifying looks from locals.
Back home, showing SAK to colleagues would result the said tool missing from your pocket.

Actually believe it or not, carrying a pocket knife is legal in Taiwan.

There are length limits on knives, anything over something like 28cm is considered a sword and therefore illegal.

“switchblades” are still illegal though but for some reason I see butterfly knives sold here.

I would need good pair of glasses to see the tiny screws.

You know you can turn on a milling machine too, just put the job in the collet and the tool in the vice. I wish I had room for something like this in my shed.

Anyway, tape measure is my most useful tool at the moment due to renovations/decorating.

I realize you can do that, but you’re extremely limited in size of stock you can turn this way, as well as length because you have no support on the other end. A horizontal mill is better for this it seems.

The other problem is it’s very hard, if not impossible to get a good finish because you don’t have power feed.

So it will get you by but if you need a 12 inch shaft with a center drill on both ends, and one of the end turned to x diameter, you can’t do this because the shaft would be too wobbly to machine safely. Basically I’ll machine this (and it will look terrible because of chattering) and then all of a sudden the rod is bent and flailing around with great force! And the mill is more than strong enough to swing this bent rod to do damage to anything that isn’t solid, including body parts.

I had some scary moments doing this, and if I tried to do this at a workplace I will most likely get fired.

1 Like

Of course, you can only do small stuff safely, but handy none the less.