The netbook thread

Tommy -

Look at the Samsungs.

Might want to wait until January. CES 2010 will see the launch of the second-generation Atoms (N450, N470).

Anyone seen any recent prices on those 10"+ Aspires???

El Chief, try Costco in Neihu. Good prices and excellent return policy. I think the 10.1" Aspire w/ 160 GB HDD (1GB RAM) was around NT 9K, and the version w/ 250 GB HDD was about NT 2K more.

Mahalo, brudda!

Shakka, surf dude. See you at Coffee Gallery in Haleiwa. Free Wifi.

could someone send me a message on how to get to this COSTCO in neihu?

and also for the netbook crowd i thin this would be an interesting article for you guys…

engadget.com/2009/11/16/leno … oto-shoot/

basically blah blah blah…the new processors are coming very soon.

duh

easy

so…how do i get their from dinxi station?

Homer says: maps.google.com

I’m in the market for a Lenovo Ideapad S12 - see asia.cnet.com/reviews/notebooks/ … 93p,00.htm

I have owned several ASUS eeePC models, but I am tired of the range of problems I have had with them. I do not expect the Ideapad to be that much different, but I really like the design and the keyboard.

Can you suggest a place in Taipei where I can buy an S12? I could walk around Guanghua but if you can recommend a store or vendor who you trust, that would be better.

Just make sure you go for the version with Nvidia’s ION chipset, you’ll do yourself a huge favour when it comes to video playback and a few other things, although it does reduce the battery life slightly.
shopping.pchome.com.tw/?mod=item … 0H&ROWNO=1
Asus has an equivalent product on the market now as well shopping.pchome.com.tw/?mod=item … 2Q&ROWNO=2 but it has the desktop dual core Atom 330 instead of the mobile N270. As a bonus it also has a slightly higher resolution display and HDMI output if you want to hook it up to a TV, but no ExpressCard slot. The overall performance should be a bit better, but it’s meant to muster no more than 5h battery life while the Lenovo is said to be good for up to 6h. The Asus also has a better keyboard imho.

So. I’ve finally decided to get a netbook (thought about getting one before coming to Taiwan but realized then I didn’t need it).
As one of the usages of the netbook is a photo tank (i.e. storing/backuping photos on the go) size and battery life is very important and therefore I’ve settled on the new Asus eeepc 1005PE.

I now have some questions:

1. Anyone know anything good/bad about this netbook?
  2. Do you know if the eee pc’s have international warranty or not? If yes, to what extent (any limitations?).
  3. Where would I get the best prices for this? With international warranty if possible.
  4. What would the best price be? (Or to be a little more humble and not lay the work on you, how do I research a good price of the pc?)

You might want to consider an 11.6-inch CULV notebook instead, it’s a more powerful option for only a little bit more money and not a lot heavier. It does of course depend on if you’re actually going to edit your pictures on it or not and how high resolution pictures you’re shooting.

The computer market would be the best place, but here’s an idea of what these things cost shopping.pchome.com.tw/?mod=area … DHAC&BB=nb

Tackar =)

I do not want a CULV though. I have a fully working (although a few years old) full size (15") notebook which handles most serious work and is luggable if I am in need of a portable workhorse.

What I want is something that’s lightweight and has good battery life, and on the last part I do not think anything really beats the 1005PE’s 14 hours (which hopefully means about 8 hours of normal work at least).

And I was a afraid you would show that store… because the price on 1005PE there is just the same (differs ~100 NT) as a 1005PE in Sweden, which feels a little to high as I would have to pay more for it functional here as I would need to find a Swedish keyboard (either here or when I return in half a year) and probably also an English OS.

EDIT: I’m not completely decided on the 1005PE, the only thing I know is that I do not need another “laptop”, which a CULV are to me. What I want is something that can be thrown down in my backpack and which could handle at least 5-6 hours of writing, image copying and music listening.

Thank you for your help.

[quote=“zacha”]What I want is something that can be thrown down in my backpack and which could handle at least 5-6 hours of writing, image copying and music listening.

Thank you for your help.[/quote]

Im also looking for the same - although in some ways, I may also want a DVD

To be honest, DVD is a near total waste. Just rip your dvds before travelling, throw them on the hard drive, and enjoy. It will make your battery last longer anyways.

ok

so since I know nothing (just looked up what CULV is) - which would be recommended?

we just got wireless internet installed in the house and I cant sit donw near the wife’s puter no more

Ok. After some surfing around (Hsinchu is pretty dead over CNY it seems so I don’t have anything else to do) I have realized that an ION netbook would also work :smiley:
I’m of course speaking the HP Mini 311.
And as I know that HP has different ways of business (make your own pc or buy them at a store and more ways) how and where do I find HP netbooks here? (After chinese new years I guess…)