The "Old Days"

Whisky agogo with the swimming pool…

2 Likes

1 Like

I went to Penthouse and Kiss but don’t remember Nasa.

I remember the name but can’t remember where it was anymore.

1 Like

Yup I remember that well, i got on well with that short head of security guy who was built like a tank.

I only got my bike license a year ago, after about three decades without one! But I know it’s getter tougher in Taipei; I was flagged down three times there (no fine) before I decided to take the test. In the 1980s I was even in a crash where the police didn’t bother to even ask if I had a license!

I did most of the doc in Kindle Create. But I will see if there is any way to convert that to pdf, and make it available if it works.

Exactly! I think maybe it was just being in the right place at the right time, just as Taiwan was opening up to the world.

Never heard of this place before - only a legend now, I guess?

2 Likes

Sounds like it attracted the vanguard!

Juice, from Bostson. Juice was a black guy who slowly unraveled on us. In the begning he was just moderately odd, but by the end, when the police came and carted him out of the hostel, he was obviously headed for disaster. The last two weeks of his stay he took to bringing the worst kind of Buffalo Town skanks home and boneing them in his bunk ( he had 3 room mates in a tiny room with no wondows). Anyone who has lived in the hostels knows that the rule of thumb was to use a love hotel, an MTV., or whatever. On the night before he was evicted, a mate of his called him while he was infalgrante delecto with one of the deaf girls that hung aroung B.T… He came out into the crowded living room to answer his call with only a wash cloth wrapped half around his ass and over his boner. I think he moved down to the Taipei Hostel and not long after was busted trying to sell ice to an undercover cop. Got 7 years hard, out in Taoyuan for that.

The oddest foreigner you’ve met here – share your story - Taiwan / Living in Taiwan - Forumosa

3 Likes

:joy: was browsing that classic thread too. Brilliant!

Oddly enough for years after it closed it was still there, kind of Marie Celeste like. You could walk into it and smell the lingering VD.

3 Likes

Next on the reading list:

1 Like

Yeah it was closed after an Australian backpacker “Fell” off the roof and died. It was a fun place but different times.

2 Likes

I remember being at a place sitting at a table and then feeling an odd vibe: the place was filling up with loads of guys just standing there. Next thing all hell breaks loose massive fight: and there is even a guy waving a samauri sword. Then it slowly dawns on me that its all just bluster, nobodies been hit, they are just throwing plastic stools at each other.

3 Likes

I came across this photo of the “old days”—taking a bus from Taichung to Hualien. I’m grateful I’m still alive to post it!

It’s a joke; that’s actually not me.

Source: https://twitter.com/michaelturton/status/1766691938294796742

Guy

6 Likes

Is it Turton? :laughing:

Could be any random American here during that era, really.

That looks like quite the scenic bus ride. Reaches for the barf bag.

Guy

Turton’s sure been around a while.

1 Like

IMO, the biggest difference between the old days in Taiwan and now is the women…

When I arrived almost 30 years ago, very frequently young pretty girls flirted and approached me.

Nowadays only the older women does it so I think it is a society problem, where the young girls in their 20’s have never learnt how to approach people.

The Smartphone generation are not skilled in social interactions