The Photography Gear G.A.S. thread

https://www.bigcamera.com.tw/goods_view.php?no=5475

It took a long time, but someone finally came out with a GoPro cage design that can fit the audio thingy. I can now achieve my dream of vlogging with the GoPro while I ride my motorbike around and shout:“87!!!” at every bird I see by the side of the road.

Ooooh, this sounds like good television! Be sure to give us the link to your YT.

It has the potential to go on for years. I’d begin by uploading videos of me screaming “87!!!” at the white birds that hunt food in the rice fields (egrets?). Then I could add a few clips including mynas and herons, just to add variety. Then once I have a decent follower base I would make the ultimate clickbait viral video: me shouting “87!” at a watercock . The title would be something along the lines of:“Massive WATERCOCK out of nowhere! #87 #nearlyraped”. It would reach 24 billion views within 7 minutes, and I could retire enjoying all the ad revenue on that video.

Ps: watercock is the real name of a bird in Taiwan, I’m not making that up

2 Likes

Stunning and brave. You’re not worried about being taken out by a swarm of angry drongos?

Me running over a drongo would be the comeback video. Once viewers and followers start to decrease, I’d run over one of those drongo assholes (an already dead one, but no one needs to know this). There would be media backlash, people sending me death threats and then I’d make a heartfelt apology making up some touching story (“I was rescuing a syrian refugee who just landed next to me and was paragliding away from Sdrumpf’s death squads, so I lost my focus on the road and hit that poor drongo… #neverforget #ripdrongo”). This will bring even more traffic to my channel.

Sounds like a rock solid business plan!

#batedbreath

Oh I bought a new lens a little while ago, but haven’t had a chance to field test it just yet. Heading to VN next week so would be able to give it a good run.

That’s a neat lens, I know (not personally) a very famous English photographer who uses that lens for all his landscape work.
I haven’t bought any lens in a very long time, feelsbadman

Do you even photo bro? Gotta keep the lens inflow up.

But the only upgrades I could do are 150k+ Nt each…and I don’t really often need 300/400 f2.8 on full frame…

Nice. Looks a lot like my 17mm 1.8. How fuzzy is it in the corners?

Yeap I have the 17mm too that I took with me to Europe. Definitely wanted something wider hence this purchase!

Reviews suggest its good, again no real life experience yet so will report back. Not too worried about corner sharpness though, pixel peeping me has retired a long time ago. Barely can justify a camera with phones being so good now haha.

@IbisWtf hey fam, my mums coming to Taiwan in December and wants a 85mm lens.
Where’s the best 2nd hand shop to go browse in Taipei? I guess she wants the best one you get, F1.2?

This is for a Canon 5D btw fyi

Lots of secondhand stuff here!

Nice thanks man!!!

Just for reference the grey market price of the canon 85 mm f1.4 is 38,000.

1 Like

eBay.

Oof. Part of me is drooling at those RF-L lenses, especially the already available f1.2 primes, but Jesus the prices are painful. I’m glad that there’s at least the 35mm f1.8 non-L which is very well priced, i’m planning to get that and an RP in the coming weeks to replace my 6D as backup camera.
The fact that Canon has released a ton of expensive glass and only two light/cheap options is a bit annoying, but I have plenty of L lenses that I can just adapt on an R body. I’ll worry about going full R ecosystem after they release a sport oriented camera.

I’ve had the chance to test the RP with the 35mm f1.8 lens, the combination that is slowly pulling many people into the RF mount even if it’s far from being a complete ecosystem.
It’s hard t believe the RP is full frame, it’s smaller than many aps-c mirrorless cameras. Handling is pretty good with the 35, but I guess it would feel dodgy at best with large EF lenses. Pretty intuitive camera to use. The 35 1.8 is a very fun lens to use. It didn’t shock me for image quality, but the close focusing ability that produces 0.5x magnification on a stabilized prime can be so useful for closeups of…anything.

At under 32k for the RP and 15k for the 35 1.8 it seems pretty good value, but it’s hard for me to justify spending close to 50k for a backup camera.

I’ve recently bought a case from Vidafun:

Not as sturdy as Pelican, but pretty good quality and more affordable. I got one of the smaller ones and use it to store 2x flashes, 8 extra batteries and two diffusers. Their stuff isn’t designed for photography but can be customized quite easily.