The Post-Pelosi Chinese Aggression Thread

2 Likes

It better be fine. I’m arriving on 8/9 and would like to see the free and democratic nation that I left back in May, not a CCP wasteland. How selfish of me to have such a desire.

3 Likes

And this:

A lot of you guys are quite critical. A few not saying yes or no. One or two suggest that it is a boost for Taiwan…

Taiwan political people in power will be quite happy to rub shoulders with top officials from the U.S., and won’t complain or judge in public. Don’t forget, from the perspective of Taiwan’s current government and many ordinary people, support for their democracy is the same thing as resistance against totalitarianism across the strait. Geopolitical tensions are being created by the Chinese only-one-one-way-street; China’s machine mind party line harks after Russia’s antiquated myth-making…

My main idea is that the ideological stance and dance of China is central to its continued popular dominance over “the people”… Yet translating domestic crowd control into outright warfare seems to me a very big step. “Nobody believes it can happen” until history repeats once again: the existence of all those soldiers and heavy weapons is real, not just a bad dream. They may get used, even if the rational program is to play and beg for peace.

Nobody has analyzed the mechanism of what causes warfare, except maybe Tolstoy, and a few others… Perhaps it is merely a reflex, a sort of nightmarish priapism nobody tries to defuse and the babes are powerless to refuse… ?

Yeah. Taiwan had to allow this to happen.

My cannabis stocks are up. Chill, dudes! Wrong thread? Yeah, cool. :t_rex:

3 Likes

Speaker Pelosi WELCOME TO TAIWAN

5 Likes

It would be great to just ignore the PRC. As much as that would be preferable, deserved by Taiwan, morally right etc., they’re not going anywhere. It’s wise to choose one’s battles at times. I hope Taiwan is fully on board with this one, I trust this government to make the right call.

2 Likes

Taiwan had to allow them in. They had a choice. The US cannot just send a jet with a politician without Taiwan’s permission.

They obviously took this when they had the chance.

Sure, but it doesn’t mean they loved it (not saying they didn’t–I assume they won’t be telling us either way). It would be an enormous step into the unknown to reject this flight, even if they weren’t so happy about it.

1 Like

I think this something they could’ve easily told the US not right now if they weren’t fully onboard. The news knew about this before this flight even started from the US mainland. If the news knew, wouldn’t Taiwanese intelligence also know?

Could be. Was there any discussion of this previous to Pelosi’s recent announcement?

That’s the thing about intelligence agencies, it’s likely the conversation was held in secret.

I think that’s plausible. I am very doubtful this was a surprise to the Taiwanese authorities.

1 Like

Its all in the wording . Taiwan never formally invited US and even when talk about it they just say “we welcome all foreign guests” not “we welcome US politician”. ofcourse after they come and landed its a different thing. It gives taiwn what they want and also make them not agitate china that much and US is the one which takes all the blame for it.

I have an innate mistrust of politicians. Hopefully, all is indeed proceeding according to plan

2 Likes

Their military plans look awfully lot like a blockade. But hey, it was worth it to show we’re “standing up.”

5 Likes

US will take the blame for it, but China won’t be flying jets near Hawaii.

People who work in intelligence agencies are not all politicians. It’s critical to distinguish between government workers and politicians.

1 Like

Pelosi’s statement. :+1:

While saying her visit marks no change in US policy towards Taiwan and China, she linked it to Russia’s invasion of Ukraine and said it was meant as a show of support for democracies under threat.

“In the face of the Chinese Communist Party’s (CCP) accelerating aggression, our congressional delegation’s visit should be seen as an unequivocal statement that America stands with Taiwan, our democratic partner, as it defends itself and its freedom,” Pelosi wrote.

She also referenced China’s crackdown on rights in Hong Kong, as well as Beijing’s repeated threats to seize Taiwan by force:

Indeed, we take this trip at a time when the world faces a choice between autocracy and democracy. As Russia wages its premeditated, illegal war against Ukraine, killing thousands of innocents — even children — it is essential that America and our allies make clear that we never give in to autocrats.

When I led a congressional delegation to Kyiv in April — the highest-level U.S. visit to the besieged nation — I conveyed to President Volodymyr Zelensky that we admired his people’s defense of democracy for Ukraine and for democracy worldwide.

By traveling to Taiwan, we honor our commitment to democracy: reaffirming that the freedoms of Taiwan — and all democracies — must be respected.

10 Likes

This misses the point where in a real war, they wouldn’t be able to get to the east coast without simultaneous Philippine, Taiwanese and Japanese support.

They go through the chokepoint, they get shot.

1 Like