The Post-Pelosi Chinese Aggression Thread

Is this the place?

Article dated August 5:

So did anyone see a missile fly over your head? If no one saw anything, this is a nothingburger. The media completely sensationalized this crap.

I think it was an artillery exercise that caused a fire. Apparently the fire’s been put out.

Dongyin, Lienchiang - Wikipedia

Those are Taiwan’s own simulated drills. Purportedly, a Chinese missile flew over Taiwan’s main island and landed in Japan’s economic zone.

If no one saw it, I never happened.

Well, they were at first. Hitler and Stalin shared Poland, the Sudetenland was handed over, the French gave up almost immediately, America sat out the war until they were attacked…

What sucks in your analogy is that we’re the Sudetenland

1 Like

Psst…your partisanship is showing

CHIPs
Infrastructure
Veterans Healthcare

As opposed to years of we’re going to destroy Obamacare and do something better and then nothing. What else?

2 Likes

I’d be impressed if one of these tough guys had ever worn a uniform.

Woke up to the sound of very loud explosions off in the distance at around 2am last night (Sanxia, New Taipei City). Any idea what it was? Nothing on the news. Definitely wasnt firecrackers.

I’m glad you provided these scripts. Let me start with Nixon. Nixon was very very clever, similar to how Lincoln was very clever in his rhetoric, unlike Carter or Biden. The man was smart and genius, and I think some undiscerning historians misquoted him, just like Carter and Biden probably misunderstood him. Let’s look at the text you provided. Nixon says “we have not and will not support any Taiwan independence movement.” Which means organizations or groups militating for Taiwan to be independent. He didn’t say (and very purposefully so) that we don’t support Taiwan independence." Can you see the distintinction? That’s very different. Nixon was very careful about that. At least in this context. And it looks like you fell into the same trap as apparently the Democrats by quoting it.

Now let’s look at the next quote you provided. Nixon says about seceding (which isn’t same as independence anyhow except by extrapolation) that we won’t encourage it and we didn’t say we will discourage it either. And Kissingers ends up saying “We said we will give it no support. And that’s been our position. We have never given it any support.” Now think about the rhetoric of this statement (about act of secession, not independence, but for the sake of devil’s advocate, go ahead and say independence if you will), “we give it no support” is a totally different animal from saying “we don’t support independence.” Which statement is much stronger and says we don’t like the concept of independence, instead of we don’t support groups that are militating for it. As far as these statements are concerned, he’s not said that.

Now as for Clinton, I wasn’t aware of this. I heard Tucker Carlson say this and thought he did his homework, so perhaps he wasn’t aware either, or else I misunderstood him. In that article, Clinton said it in a round-table discussion, which may be why it escaped attention and was under the radar for most people. For instance, Biden spokesman Kirby said this in front of reporters, where you would expect a change in policy to occur. So perhaps it didn’t occur to Clinton that he was changing policy (and I earlier overstated his competence). And this was not said in front of a podium in front of reporters. And the article you quoted did note that this was a first time. So it does seem Democrats have a pattern of misunderstanding well-crafted policy and wrangling it all up by talking on the spur of the moment. Have you researched this thoroughly? – Did Bush or Obama or Trump say as much? I’m intrigued now. Of course, there’s a lot of private conversations that don’t get published either.

2 Likes

Big Fireworks, welcome to ghost month. i think today is something special, the temples near me have the drums going all morning.

2 Likes

No, I’m aware of the different areas, and I understand there are fewer Taiwanese in density compared to the East Bay or South Bay, which are hot spots. But “few Taiwanese” is a very relative term. When applied to where other Taiwanese live, yes, there may be few. But when applied to inside Pelosi’s constituency compared to the average US congressional constituency, I don’t think “few” is the right word. It’s still significant in that light, albeit not as significant as the Hong Kong demographic, granted, but I wouldn’t say it’s insignificant either. You see? Like I said before, if you can prove that the density of Taiwanese is roughly the same as the average density of US congressional districts, then I’m wrong to mention it. But I doubt it. Statistics to the rescue.

Ok, you may be right about that. But let’s look at 1990. The old guard is firmly established. The new guard is incoming and gradually increasing, but probably not overwhelming the old guard at this time. Perhaps they have by now, but I’ve heard and guessing the new guard is not settling around Chinatown or even Pelosi’s district in huge numbers, but in other areas.

My original point was that Pelosi has anti-China credentials that hark back to the 90s due to her constituency. I’m not necessarily referring to her present constituency when I made that statement.

Must have missed that manual. Can you show it to us?

Shoudn’t that be “Bill, you’re my boy”?

Did you miss just the manual or the entire course?

Sure I’ll say it when Bill gets on TV too and says Biden’s not doing enough right now, and that the US should ignore all the drills and just sail 2 carrier strike groups right down the middle of the Taiwan Strait.

All the balancing on a knife edge is doing is giving China more time to achieve their goals. We should disrupt their timeline at a minimum.

I heard the same thing from Banqiao! Very long rumble that I first thought was thunder.

After the Pelosi visit, Hsiao Bi-Khim (蕭美琴)—former DPP lawmaker, and now Taiwan’s de facto ambassador to the US—speaks:

We don’t take our democracy for granted, and we don’t take our friends for granted.

I don’t know how forumosans feel, but I wouldn’t mind her as a future presidential candidate. :slightly_smiling_face:

Guy

4 Likes

THIS is what I want. Ambiguity that is actually ambiguous, and doesn’t sound so pro-China.

2 Likes

Apparently the Pelosi Plan is to talk tough and intimidate China out of invading Taiwan.