The Post-Pelosi Chinese Aggression Thread

Well they could not intimidate her to change her planned visit.

I for one applaud the clarity of her message, and her support for some of the many human rights dissidents in Taiwan—Han Taiwanese, Han Chinese, Hong Kongers, Uyghurs, and Tibetans alike. It looked like principled, grounded diplomacy.

Guy

5 Likes

You really think anybody is going to talk China out of invading Taiwan?

1 Like

How can such an invasion be deterred? By bowing to Beijing’s bellowing? I doubt that would help.

As an American, you surely are aware that Congress controls budgeting, legislation, and the right to declare war. The speaker of that important branch of government came to Taiwan, met the President, and said: We will support you.

So let me ask you directly: what is wrong with that?

Guy

It’s worked so far

What’s wrong with that? This might be a good time for a history lesson:

“ FIFTY YEARS AGO this Saturday, Soviet tanks rumbled into Budapest and crushed a Hungarian rebellion against Stalinist rule. The occupying army and its domestic quislings killed as many as 3,000 Hungarians, sent more than 200,000 fleeing into exile and extinguished a movement that, for two exhilarating weeks, had seemed poised to tip the balance of the Cold War decisively against Moscow.

Today the tragic ending seems inevitable, except to Hungarians. Half a century later, many still complain bitterly that the United States abandoned them in their darkest hour after inciting them to revolt. With the opening of previously unavailable archives in Washington, Moscow and Budapest, damning new light is being shed on U.S. inaction.”

2 Likes

So . . . you think that China, with no land border with Taiwan, will roll in the tanks . . . because Nancy Polosi visited?

I think you would benefit from learning more about how how frequent, regular, and utterly normal parliamentary visits to Taiwan have become. Here’s one example among hundreds of examples:

Guy

No! The only people that’ll help talk China out of invading Taiwan are the Chinese people. Need to win minds and hearts of Chinese people for this to happen. My opinion, then again. I dunno nothin.

2 Likes

Everything works until one day it doesn’t.

4 Likes

“While Eisenhower was not alone in shaping U.S. policy during that time, he is remembered by many Taiwanese as having taken a personal interest in the fate of the ROC. Eisenhower even visited Taipei in June 1960, making him the first and only sitting U.S. president to do so. That cemented his legacy in Taiwan’s historical memory.”

By Shannon Tiezzi
July 29, 2015

What is the factor then and now? The factor is a US-ROC Mutual Defence Treaty then.

Many of the Chinese are even more extreme than their leaders. There was an NYT article the other day (can’t find it now) about how Chinese netizens were “disappointed” these latest drills/provocations didn’t go far enough. They wanted Chinese fighter jets buzzing Taipei 101. So I put chances of “winning their hearts and minds” at slim to zero (tbh not sure they have much of either in the first place!). Instead we need to make them feel economic pain/ruin like we are currently doing to the Russians before they become a self-sufficient economy.

5 Likes

This is more alarming than CPC. There’s a high chance CPC is trying hard to please it’s base but avoid actual military conflict. Sucks man.

1 Like

Of course they couldn’t. She doesn’t have to face any consequences.

2 Likes

Just like Chinese economy. Ba dum tish.

3 Likes

Taiwan is in Pelosi’s rear view. She made some glib remark about China “making a fuss” over her visit. She’s focused on more pressing matters now, like the next stunt she can pull to distract from her husband’s DUI.

3 Likes

and November election. She needs to hold on to her speaker position.

I think the problem here for Western nations is they already have a policy of appeasement towards China, as Liz Truss notes if she becomes UK’s Prime Minister.

“We have a long standing position that the foreign secretary, the Ministry of Defence and the prime minister don’t visit Taiwan,” Ms Truss said during a Sky News debate on Thursday.
Source

Nancy Pelosi is non of those things, yet China has reacted militarily and very provocatively. So the first question is how much appeasement is China demanding of others? If it is a never ending demand that other countries isolate Taiwan diplomatically at every level or China flies of the hook and starts military drills, the next question becomes, how wise is it to continually accede to China’s demands for appeasement given the path of eventual appeasement quite likely leads to eventual take over of the island where no one stand with Taiwan because they have taken the continual path of appeasement.

She looks likely to be the next Prime Minister of the UK, this was her take on Chinas reaction to Pelosi’s visit.

1 Like

Yeah… that’s pretty much all she really cares about. And… good luck with that, Nancy. She was an effective leader once (fun for triggering the right if nothing else), but she should’ve retired a while ago.

Forget everyone else. Look at yourself. Taiwan’s economy will suffer if it looses it’s semi-conductor businesses. It’ll weaken not only it’s own economy but also strategic alliance with the west. “What can you do for me today?”

Different political systems dude. Nancy is speaker of the house and 3rd succession to the presidency.

Man, I wish Paul Ryan is still around, but no…he had to appeal to Trump and his base. Shame on you Paul Ryan.

1 Like

Ok, but then why did the Taiwanese president meet her?

Does she meet every politician that comes?

If not, then this obviously shows that this trip is different.