The Post-Pelosi Chinese Aggression Thread

Then I think you would defiantly go for this:

https://www.sciencefriday.com/person/ira-flatow/

And thanks for yours. Hope we can have more like it on Forumosa.

Not really, just and honest reaction without hyperbole. Would that social media had more.

Completely agree and with @afterspivac observation that she could be a formidable presidential candidate someday.

PBS NewsHour has a long and storied history and they have done well to maintain this tradition.

1 Like

Her name is Hsiao Bi-Khim. No comma needed.

If you want to discuss her name, you can join people who did so—with varying degrees of knowledge—here. :slight_smile:

Guy

Eh guys currently middle class Chinese in second and third tier cities are at the mercy of whoever can change their COVID app status. That’s how they controlled the protests when bank funds disappeared. And any other for coming.

Not to mention current poop show in a certain luxury island. And rumors of a new virus contagion, not a coronavirus but something last seen in Africa yet not monkeypox coming up the pipeline.

So between coercion and plain old forcing people to do what the Party says, the Chinese are not going to be much of a help to us.

1 Like

Out of curiosity, is she aboriginal Taiwanese?

Read the thread I linked. :grin:

Guy

1 Like

Does anyone else feel like their internet is spottier/slower since these drills started? My wife had the same thought. Either China is attacking our servers or we need to get a new router.

2 Likes

The only real solution is Taiwan-US mutual defence treaty. Boots on the Ground. F-35 taking off and landing. Giant USA flag billowing, port call, Iron dome, THAAD. Something to that effect. The problem is lack of deterrence.

The current weapon systems Taiwan have have insufficient deterrence. The current diplomatic status of Taiwan undermines deterrence. US elected a President that, in the eyes of the Chinese public, is senile and weak, and contributes to a reduction of deterrence.

Weakness provokes.

—-
btw nobody will say this but I am going to; Any non-white male high official ( such as VP Harris, Defence Sec Austin, Pelosi) in the eyes of the Chinese public also represents weakness. I am not saying US should only appoint white men but I am pointing out how CN psyche is very different from the West. Even Tsai Ing-wen as the president is a sign of Taiwanese weakness -from Ccp perspective.

“Engagement policy (Sun-Shine policy) with China is also taken as a sign of weakness not a sign of kindness. This is the “Chamberlain effect” where Hitler after meeting with Chamberlain was so disappointed and offended by the weakness or Chamberlain that he became more determined for war. (Reference, see Victor Davis Hanson)

4 Likes

Great thread, hits the spot, very informative. Thanks!

I don’t know which post is the best. This one seems to give some background about her, and also about her name:

I don’t know, but I don’t dismiss it out of hand.

1 Like

I don’t think it’s a sign of weakness so much as a threat. I’m not sure anything is more threatening to the CCP than non-male leaders, especially those of a race other than the majority in that country (ie, non white women in the US). White men in the US and Europe have pretty much always maintained the status quo — “why change things when they’re just fine for us, just as they are?” Women who are leaders, especially those that aren’t white, don’t really follow that same pattern. That lack of predictability, particularly when they favor the desires of majority of the population and not the white male population, probably scares the shit out of the CCP — “why maintain the quo when it hasn’t been to my benefit or most of the people around me?”

1 Like

Real weakness. This is what Americans voted for and many around the globe - Westerners and Easterners - desired and promoted. These same promoters have been absolutely silent about the obvious and predictable fallout.

Too late to arm Taiwan. I have doubts that China will relax their blockade in any way. They will start inspecting incoming cargos.

The world has done nothing in the past week about what has been going on. Also, everyone else has their hands full of problems of their own making - eg energy.

The world won’t ever be the same.

The history books will tell how things were changing, as they always do, but they will write how the election of Joe Biden triggered the major reset of world order.

Obviously there are plenty of people around the world have been wearing blinders for a long long time.

Lol. I guess these all identify as women of color?

Or, possibly, if you look at all the foreign lawmakers visiting Taiwan you’ll see that the majority are white men.

1 Like

I’ll have some of what you’re smoking.

1 Like

Did the drills around Taiwan end? Everything sounded kind of ambiguous today. @stinsonlover’s post goes too far by discussing ship inspections and that kind of stuff (not there yet; maybe by 2024-25), but it does sound like they will regularly do these drills where they ring us with live shelling. Anyway, I’m going to sleep. Tomorrow is the start of a new week and hopefully we get at least a small break from these assholes.

2 Likes

Idk if it ended but flights have restarted. China did not extend the drill times so it should be over now except in zone 7, which will be over tomorrow.

They might do it once in a while to remind Taiwan how big of an asshole they are but not too often. Those missiles cost a fortune.

2 Likes

It wasn’t as bad as I was expecting (no missile alerts on my phone or sounds of artillery in the distance), but it still fucked with my sense of security. I was in Seoul when the Cheonan ROK sub was sunk by North Korea, and in New York during 9/11… and neither event shook me as much. I feel like there’s a greater existential threat from this. Or maybe it’s just because I’m older and have a kid now. I don’t know.

6 Likes

Meanwhile, officials from Lithuania and St. Vincent & Grenadines are visiting during the exercises.

2 Likes

Incoming from China maybe. Any other place is a looking for a punch in the nose.

1 Like

Is your inner voice. You have to listen to your guts man. Once you realized and you start working on it, feeling goes away.

I had this when Russia attack Ukraine. I was lost for a week, and said to myself ok how I adjust to protect my family. I got colleteral on family real estate and got fat cash out with small fixed interest on debt in euros. Transferes to canadian, American dollars, and gruadully adding positions on stocks. Explored option of moving to Switzerland, and Austria. Both neutral countries. I drove to different regions on weekend. Talked to locals.

2 Likes