The Post-Pelosi Chinese Aggression Thread

Seems so, slightly different geographical areas, but the drills will be extended until at least mid-August. Not overly surprised, they are literally testing the waters for an invasion/blockade.

So far there has been zero pushback, neither from Taiwan nor from the US, Japan or SK, except for a few unremarkable press statements.

I have seen reports from a few sources by now, here is one, not sure how reliable:

You are equating the 1960s with now. Now Chinese expect food on the table.

3 Likes

Yes. 中天was reporting that

It’s ok. Let them have a win they can show their people. Escalation begets escalation

Someone has to be the bigger man, we know who it isn’t going to be

1 Like

Udn says it’s over for now. Not sure who to believe.

1 Like

I think this is a new perspective. Any thoughts?

Beijing has announced sanctions against Taiwan, affecting … pineapple cakes

Noooooooooooo!

Also, in for a penny in for a pound. The US and Japan and ASEAN should maintain the heightened status quo. Let Gina spend a few more billion per month driving their mostly useless war boats around. They don’t need it for covid relief, unemployment or like — food.

2 Likes

I think he wrote a lot without saying much and I disagree with what he did say. China recognizes power and power alone. The best thing that could happen is that Western nations vow to defend Taiwan and reconsider it as an independent country and start formal relations. A soft touch won’t work.

1 Like

They don’t need to do that, only signal they are reconsidering their appeasement approach since it isn’t working and are considering full backing of Taiwan.

I can see that working short term but not indefinitely.

“Go and read about it!”

AKA I have no idea what the fuck I’m talking about, so I’m hoping you don’t question me further.

5 Likes

True. But, they are also mostly used to oppression. few cities enjoy a very slightly relaxed form of oppression.

however, when their last civil war happened we got Taiwan out of the deal. It certainly isnt impossible. but to place a bet on it I feel is a bit naive, especially after decades of brainwashing about how important it is to make china great again and ward off the evil pink skins.

I think this is the ONLY way forward. hopefully nations will drop their hypocrisies and grow a pair before it’s too late.

I guess so, it didn’t feel very oppressive when i lived there.

As i said yesterday, I wouldn’t want property here. The bet I made when I came was that Taiwan was probably OK until 2027. I don’t think that is naive

Well sure. Not a problem till it’s a problem. Go there and watch Gravitas or some other not friendly to china media on youtube there in a mcdonalds and see how far it goes. Taichi in the park maybe lol.

I was going to list some examples, but I dont think it is necessary. you know full well that if you follow their narrative it may not be a problem short term. but…

2027 is still sad. but I am calling nations naive, not their minions :slight_smile:

1 Like

I can see how Schifrin might come off that way if you’ve never seen him before, especially in that interview. It’s also very modern American style if you are not from there. But I consider him a knowledgeable and responsible journalist. PBS is left leaning and everybody knows it so they sometimes go to pains to appear balanced but I think they mostly are.

But note how Hsiao, Bi-khim (I hate the way they Romanize her name) neatly sidesteps many of his questions in a positive way. This is one of the things that impressed me about her. She doesn’t wither from anything.

You can also go directly to their web site each day:

They list their stories on the right side about midway down and you can select the ones you want to watch.

I would still defend NPR as they have many knowledgeable journalists. Mary Louise Kelly springs to mind (Google her dustup with Pompeo if you want to gain some respect for her chops), Steve Inskeep (who can, at times, come across like Schifrin) and of course the great Terry Gross.

5 Likes

+1 for PBS. I like their science stuff a lot.

4 Likes

The new normal

1 Like

Thanks for the thoughtful response! And yes, I may have overreacted a tad. :slight_smile: And I agree that she has shown herself to be very knowledgeable and quick-thinking, and that she managed that situation very well.

I should add that a day or so ago I Googled Mr. Schifrin and saw that he’s quite impressive, too.

1 Like

Yeah, they have a limited stable of regulars, all of them are good. And they tend to get a lot of serious guests, too

3 Likes