The Presidential Election Result - Part 2

Not to put too fine a point on it but we are now the lead story on CNN (the main home page, not just World News). Looks like we are getting attention:

cnn.com/

Did you see some of the crowds here in Taichung and down on Tainan? It looked like they are on the verge of riots.

Concerning the almost nonexistent margin with which Chen won, I seem to remember that there are some states in the US where an automatic recount is mandated by law when the vote difference falls within a certain limit (0.5 percent or less, or something like that)? Is that correct?

The difference was only 0.24 percent, or less than 30,000 votes out of a total of 13,749,000. If an average of just above 1 vote were miscounted in each polling station (11,000 or 13,000 in total, can’t remember off teh top of my head), the result would have gone the other way. That’s nothing, and I’m not convinced that the greens wouldn’t consider the same thing had the result gone the other way round.

Just off from the box. It seems that the bleu champe is going to have a riot against itself or the police. The Green camp seems to have followed instructions, not to get provocated, and go home.

Now, do you see how anti-democratic Lien&Soong is?

Hottala!!!

He must, but that would mean that more KMT voter are too dumb to put the ballot in the right box, and anyway, both camps agreed to the rules on invalid ballots before the vote took place.
Lien has no leg to stand on.

[quote=“ski”]It’s a valid argument.
300000 invalid votes.
30000 difference in votes.
If it’s good enough for GW Bush
it’s ok ifor Lien. :wink:

Ski[/quote]
What are you talking about?? Bush wasn’t the one who contested the Florida election in 2000.

Taiwan voters made their choice by stamping the ballot with a special chop found only in the voting booth. According to Taiwan’s election law, a ballot is invalid when:
– It is not printed by the Central Election Commission.
– It shows votes for two or more candidates.
– The voter’s choice cannot be determined from the stamp.
– It has been altered after the stamp.
– It is marked with a symbol other than the Central Election Commission’s designated chop.
– It is torn or incomplete.
– It has been dirtied to the extent that the voter’s choice cannot be determined.
– It is blank.
–Reuters
They forgot casting in the wrong box.

Checked out the area around the DPP HQ. Very happy, but not as much as last time I thought. All around CKS Memorial hall where KMT HQ is, has been cordoned off and closed to trafiic. They’ve got barbed wire in place and it’s heavily guarded. Loads of police on major intersections all round the city.

Brian

Chen is claiming divine inspiray, er, protection:

[Chen waved enthusiastically to a throng of supporters near the school entrance when he went to vote.

“God hoped A-bian could come vote for the referendum, and so did not allow A-bian to die for the moment,” he said.]

I don’t like that “for the moment” aside. Now God is involved in this thing, too. Getting weirder.

And the New York Times calls Lien Chan … Mr. Chan in their story today. Last name first name New York!

It’s gonna be a long two months until May 20 when Inauguration Day comes … if it comes!

Well,
If there is one thing we can all agree on, it’s that Taiwan is an interesting place to live!!!
And it may well be a little too interesting in the coming months!!!

If this is true I am flabbergasted.
AIT in Taipei is predicting that miscounted votes will still give the greens the win. Isn’t this interference?

[quote=“wolf_reinhold”]If this is true I am flabbergasted.
AIT in Taipei is predicting that miscounted votes will still give the greens the win. Isn’t this interference?[/quote]

Not if its only a prediction. AIT is entitled, just as we are, to discuss and guess and predict.

And the difference was 0,228%. That would be a cortoon worthy - the twin bicyle (Bleu logo) crashing in the eight falling into the zero.

Now Lien&Soong have showed their disrespect for democratic process twice, and they won one victory:

-The referendum is not valid because they urged their supporters to not cast their ballots.
-They declare the election void, and want it cancelled, because of unfair play.

I really hope the supporters of KMT/PFP see the true hearts of that camp now - they just want to destroy the democratic system that the Taiwanese want to build.

Hey, the provocation from Lien about not accepting the election result sounded to me as an intitiative to create a riot, and the the PLA could have a good excuse to come over to clean up the mess - when Lien/Soon got their executive positions.

-Put them in jail or incommunicado until eveything cools down…

HOTTALA!!!

May I point this out: Several groups were calling on voters to puposefully cast invalid ballots in protest. Thus the larger than last election numbers of bad ballots.
No one has mentioned this yet, but I suspect that they will.

You can protest the noise in the KMT by phoning the environmental agency and they will give the Lien Soong party a fine. This can be done anomously (sp). They will test the noise level and if it is over (is should be) then they will give a 30,000NT fine.

You can phone as many times as you want and you don’t need to leave a name or number.

phone number is:
0800 06 6666
for taipei city

for other areas

just dial 105 to ask about other cities environmental agencies phone number.

again should not need to leave name and number.

We have been thorough this before; in a democracy, you vote for the one you have the least dislike for - it is impossible to been in total agreement with any specific pary.
Here in Taiwan, a lot of people does not like either candidate and vote blank. That is fair, they use their vote to vote for neither of the above, and then at the same time support their newly won democratic right to voice their opinion.

hhhh

Lien and Soong supporters have broken the glass doors of the district court in Taichung. Not really a riot, but more a few civilly disobedient people. People are trying to push down a barbed wire barracade. At least one policeman has been injured slightly.

Still, why Lien and Soong continue to pout amazes me. Soong is not negotiating with someone with the aim of having the court papers signed in their action against the election. Bizarre at the least.

Hey, don’t you get it: the difference is 228 !! (ring any bells??) … and the president/vice was not killed during the attack cause the bullets were not magic/demon bullets (that hit what think you want to hit).

The Gods and the numbers are with the President Chen and VL Lu.

HOTTALA, HOTTALA!!!

What are you talking about? The difference in the vote was 29,518.
Or do you mean the difference between my IQ and yours? :wink: