The quest for dual nationality - what's the next step?

Never in the history of UK immigration and nationality law has the British government had any prohibition on dual nationality.

The bottom line in Taiwan is: The Taiwanese want dual citizenship for themselves and they allow and encourage it. What they don’t want is a bunch of white or dark brown people running around the island destroying the imaginary ethnic purity of the place. Distasteful as it is, it’s as simple as that. And don’t give me the military service argument ! You guys should take a trip around a few banking offices here. Do you think these dual national Taiwanese-American rich university returnees working on US passports and ARCs are in any danger of doing military service !? Please ! :unamused: Cake and eat it !? We foreigners are rank amateurs at this game ! The locals must be having a good laugh at us trying in vain to get ROC passports - even having to give up our own ! :laughing:

I have three nationalities. All three countries allow multiple citizenships. Vannyel must hate me. :laughing:

I wonder what on earth Roosevelt is talking about. “Genuine citizen” ? The stuff of the Soviets and McCarthyism. Nonsense on stilts.

And of course there’s nothing in it for the Taiwanese. They’ve got their foreign passports without having to give us an inch. They can bail out to the States or wherever at a moment’s notice. Why on earth would they need to give us anything ? What are we going to do about it - organise a petition ?

On the other hand - what do they give us anyway ? So you get an ROC passport. You can get a mobile phone. A credit card without a guarantor. Leave for more than two years. It’s not like they’re going to give you an old age pension. You’ll still have a jian bao card and pay taxes. What skin is it off their noses to give us a passport ? None. But they don’t like the thought of it. If I was American I don’t know if I’d like the thought of all those Taiwanese with US passports as a cheap insurance policy. The US taxpayer’s footing the bill. As you guys have to pay taxes even when you’re overseas, that’s you Americans in Taiwan, too. And they won’t even give you a crummy little ROC passport ! HAHAHAHA! :raspberry:

God I’m feeling unnecessarily evil today ! :smiling_imp: