The relationship status on Facebook

Recently, there’s one thing really got me confused.
A couple has been in a relationship for years and they lived in Mexico for a while since the lady is Mexican.
Couple months ago, the guy left Mexico and moved back to Australia where he’s from while she’s still staying in Mexico.
He then removed his relationship status. Not single, not in a relationship. Just simply nothing at all.
But the girl’s page still shows she’s in a relationship.
What does this mean? Are they still in a relationship?

Another couple has the same situation. The guy shows he’s single whilst the girl shows she’s still in a relationship. And I am pretty sure the relationship she’s in is with this very same guy.
Why why why?
Can anyone tell me why? I can’t just ask them but I really really wanna know the reason behind all these. Please can someone tell me why? Thanks heaps!!!

Urm. Hmm. Well, each individual can set his or her own relationship status on facebook. An individual can even choose not to dispaly any relationship at all. It is whatever they bother setting it as. Facebook is public blog, of sorts. A network of individuals. There are no laws that state that someone must be perfectly honest and forthwright on his/her Facebook page (or on Forumosa, either!).

So if you wanna know the skinny on these ladies’ availability, it sounds like you’re just going to have to ask.

Why why why am I even answering this question?

I can think of three reasons.

1. He considers it no one’s business what his relationship status is. This might be relevant for business reasons. This is the reason “Mz.” was invented for women.

2. He doesn’t want other women he is interested in dating to know that he’s already in a relationship. He also doesn’t want his girlfriend to see a status that says “Not in a relationship”.

3. The woman is no longer in a relationship and hasn’t gotten around to changing her status.

[quote=“spitzig”]I can think of three reasons.

1. He considers it no one’s business what his relationship status is. This might be relevant for business reasons. This is the reason “Mz.” was invented for women.

2. He doesn’t want other women he is interested in dating to know that he’s already in a relationship. He also doesn’t want his girlfriend to see a status that says “Not in a relationship”.

3. The woman is no longer in a relationship and hasn’t gotten around to changing her status.[/quote]

4. He wants the crazy girl he is dating to ask question about his Facebook status on forums.

BTW, I heard people always tell the truths on Facebook.

[quote=“DazedNConfuzed”][quote=“spitzig”]I can think of three reasons.

3. The woman is no longer in a relationship and hasn’t gotten around to changing her status.[/quote]

4. He wants the crazy girl he is dating to ask question about his Facebook status on forums.

BTW, I heard people always tell the truths on Facebook.[/quote]
People lie a lot on Facebook and it’s a well known truth!!
Thanks for all the replies, folks.
I think it’s unbelievably stupid to fall for a guy who is in a long term relationship but sometimes heart is so hard to control.
I realize recently that I can be easily drawn by someone who shows his care. Not a good idea at all.

Yamei, first you have to love and respect yourself. Value yourself highly, and then don’t accept anyone who doesn’t value you at least as much as you value yourself. If you don’t insist on being respected by men, you allow them to determine you value, and to lower it as they please.

Aunty Housecat

[quote=“housecat”]Yamei, first you have to love and respect yourself. Value yourself highly, and then don’t accept anyone who doesn’t value you at least as much as you value yourself. If you don’t insist on being respected by men, you allow them to determine you value, and to lower it as they please.

Aunty Housecat[/quote]

yep, just ask me, i never lie. and this wont hurt at all. lol

and housecat, that’s awesome piece of advice.

[quote=“housecat”]Yamei, first you have to love and respect yourself. Value yourself highly, and then don’t accept anyone who doesn’t value you at least as much as you value yourself. If you don’t insist on being respected by men, you allow them to determine you value, and to lower it as they please.

Aunty Housecat[/quote]
Thanks, Aunty Housecat. I hear you and I’ll keep it in mind.

[quote=“Yamei”][quote=“DazedNConfuzed”]

1. He wants the crazy girl he is dating to ask question about his Facebook status on forums.

BTW, I heard people always tell the truths on Facebook.[/quote]
People lie a lot on Facebook and it’s a well known truth!!
Thanks for all the replies, folks.
I think it’s unbelievably stupid to fall for a guy who is in a long term relationship but sometimes heart is so hard to control.
I realize recently that I can be easily drawn by someone who shows his care. Not a good idea at all.[/quote]

Please turn on your sarcasm detector.

I don’t use fb for dating so it is not anyone’s business what my relationship status is. Frankly I’m a little concerned that you’re obsessing about what a man’s status says. If you are falling for him I assume that you are actually talking to him and see him regularly. He might be a lying, cheating bastard but this is still a better way to find out than looking at his fb status.

Well, the FB relationship status - remember that for many the FP page is the pl;ace where they find out most about you, so I would try to be honest there, as lying eventually will bite you in your arse.

The matter people can find out about me on FB is scary, you know a shit load about me just from browsing that. Oh well, I have little to hide.

Asking a guy if his girlfriend is single (so you can go chase her)?

I just read Othello last night. Not a good idea.

Yes. I am weird of so obsessed with his relationship status. Not anymore, though. I am not going to ask anyone if he’s single or not and it’s not my concern whatsoever.
I looked at what Housecat wrote to me whenever I feel I was hurt by a man.
I think I’d prefer a man who doesn’t lie or hide on Facebook.
Facebook is an evil thing sometimes. Think I am gonna spend less time on it.

[quote=“Yamei”]Yes. I am weird of so obsessed with his relationship status. Not anymore, though. I am not going to ask anyone if he’s single or not and it’s not my concern whatsoever.
Facebook is an evil thing sometimes. Think I am gonna spend less time on it.[/quote]

What’s he lying about by not saying anything on fb? I think it’s kind of tacky myself to list SINGLE as your status.

[quote=“Abacus”][quote=“Yamei”]Yes. I am weird of so obsessed with his relationship status. Not anymore, though. I am not going to ask anyone if he’s single or not and it’s not my concern whatsoever.
Facebook is an evil thing sometimes. Think I am gonna spend less time on it.[/quote]

What’s he lying about by not saying anything on fb? I think it’s kind of tacky myself to list SINGLE as your status.[/quote]

I went to your blog Abacus. You’ve got really really nice photos of Taiwan!! I especially enjoyed all the waterfall ones. They are amazing. Have you photoshopped them? Or are they just simply amazing?

[quote=“Yamei”]

I went to your blog Abacus. You’ve got really really nice photos of Taiwan!! I especially enjoyed all the waterfall ones. They are amazing. Have you photoshopped them? Or are they just simply amazing?[/quote]

very little photoshop. Just a little color/contrast tweaking. It’s my new hobby. backpacking is my old hobby so that works well.

OFF TOPIC: On Facebook, I put my status as in a relationship with my (taiwanese) girlfriend when we first start our relationship. She didn’t approve it though (the other party have to approve it if you put your status as being in a relationship with them). I didn’t care much at first becaus I was still new to facebook. Then a month later she explain to me why she didn’t approve it, it because half of her (massive) family have facebook account and they are all connected (fair reason). So yeah, I understood, but I didn’t get around to change my status back untill I went over to see her in Kaohsiung (I’m from Melbourne) and stay with her for a bit. When I came back (6 months into our relationship) I changed my status back to single during facebook clean up routine. Guess what happen, Her female friends and cousins whom I know personally start asking her question and they thought we broke up…her taiwanese friends who’s still on working holiday visa in Australia start asking me question about my relationship so I went WTF is going on…why were they so interested. and YES, my GF called me straight away and ask

GF: “Did you change your status on facebook”
BF: “Oh, I went through your FB’s friend list and I saw your Aunty, Uncle, Cousins’s page (whom I’ve met during the visit)
“So I change the status since you havn’t told them we are together.”
GF: " Oh ok”
BF: " I don’t think they are stupid though since I’m a boy and I went all the way to see you there, and you told them I look after you when you were here"
GF: " I don’t know"
BF: “… rightttt”

So then, I realize how important this social network website really is to … these girl friends of her whom may have been checking my status …

…I guess you guys can se how some girls take facebook’s status seriously…seriously :bow:

PS: although they never ask me why I put “interested in both men and women” on my status. :slight_smile:

I asked him about his relationship status the other day. I didn’t just ask him straight out. I put it between our conversation (flirting to be exact). I said " I often feel wrong to talk to you about this stuff because of your girlfriend". So he said " well, we are on a break now, so it’s ok."
So then he started to ask me to send him some sexy photos. Since I’m totally new to this area, I took it as a joke. But he was really keen, he dared me to show him via Skype which I declined. So he started to persuade me of taking the photos and send them to him. I didn’t want to at first but he kept begging me.
Anyway, I wonder how a woman should respond or think when a guy tells her " wow, I am so horny now."

not showing your relationship status also changes the way you see ads on Facebook. For example you set it on single you’ll see more ads for adultfriendfinder and ecfriend.com and co. while in “neutral” you’ll see travel ads. If you don’t like ladies night ads like me, set it to nothing… :sunglasses:

[quote=“Yamei”]Recently, there’s one thing really got me confused.
A couple has been in a relationship for years and they lived in Mexico for a while since the lady is Mexican.
Couple months ago, the guy left Mexico and moved back to Australia where he’s from while she’s still staying in Mexico.
He then removed his relationship status. Not single, not in a relationship. Just simply nothing at all.
But the girl’s page still shows she’s in a relationship.
What does this mean? Are they still in a relationship?

Another couple has the same situation. The guy shows he’s single whilst the girl shows she’s still in a relationship. And I am pretty sure the relationship she’s in is with this very same guy.
Why why why?
Can anyone tell me why? I can’t just ask them but I really really wanna know the reason behind all these. Please can someone tell me why? Thanks heaps!!![/quote]

Don’t take Facebook at face value.

Oh dear Yamei. Read your posts back to yourself. The last one is the worst.
The man is taking a break from one girlfriend/partner so it’s acceptable for him to have another in the ‘break’ period?
If you don’t want to send this guy sexy pics, then that guy needs to respect your wishes FULLY.
Don’t be fooled by good looks or good bodies, the actions speak for themselves.
My advice; There are plenty of guys out there with no such complications.