The Resurrection Fact or Fiction?

No. Is that a real thing? I’m not a physicist or whatever

Something works, therefore god. OK.

If there are laws , yes likely to be a God, that’s different to a personal God however.

It’s actually pretty interesting , wasn’t a pop at you. Most people just accept that the law of gravity is a constant, but it’s very debatable. Different topic however. You’re not a physicist and I’m not a religious scholar. I don’t think anyone has time to examine for themselves everything in science , that requires some faith from they lay person. I actually pretty much agree with your idea that religion is about belief. However, I’ll still examine it to a certain degree. You dislike Christianity that is obvious.

I’d recommend googling something like “can non-Christians go to heaven Catholic doctrine” and maybe read the link for catholicbridge.com

Having a short discussion of this in forumosa is not beneficial to anyone. the main points typically will get convoluted.
The answer can be, it is achievable under circumstances.
The one key point is that someone who willfully turns his/her back on Christ is in danger.

1 Like

Not something. Everything. Everything is rational, orderly, and seems to be finely tuned.

1 Like

OK, solar eclipses can be observed and explained. In the past they could be observed but couldn’t be explained so early humans put them down to gods.

At this point in time gravity falls into the observed but not explained category.

I shall restrain myself from linking the Monty Python and the Holy Grail duck science scene.

I like your posts very much! However, as for having discussions about God on here well “God works in mysterious ways”:+1:

1 Like

oh please do stop Monty Python, the Two Ronnies were way more funny

yes, those “WIPs” are works-in-progress, even on this site

1 Like

That’s right, one of the strangest phenomena and oldest and most worshiped days for pagans and Egyptians was the winter solstice, the days get shorter and shorter until at last a perceptual difference can be noted in the lengthening of the days. Hence an Egyptian god worshiped thousands of years before Christ came along, Horus, was the sun god and was born on 25th of December. A resurrection of sorts and for their prayers to be answered on the 25th with the return of the sun and longer days.

1 Like

Yes. And?

That’s what I’m saying really. It’s a belief, and I do accept that people have various reasons for their beliefs. I hold certain unproven beliefs myself.

You dislike Christianity that is obvious.

Eh, there’s worse things. It doesn’t make much sense to me, and I don’t like everything about it. I’m frequently annoyed by the smug sense of superiority some of its followers exhibit (not saying that about anyone here :slight_smile: )

1 Like

There’s a fascinating looking book coming out:

I haven’t read it yet, but it looks very interesting. The Trinity bit in particular. Basically, that’s the basis of the Roman Catholic Church.

And, at this point in time believing in something called gravity isn’t that different to believing in something called a god. In the future it will be seen as equally silly to believing in a solar eclipse being the sun eaten by a snake or whatever. but right now it isn’t that far different.

1 Like

I don’t get it. Gravity is a demonstrable fact. I’ve never believed anything like that a solar eclipse is caused by a snake. I don’t see any good reason to believe in gods either.

1 Like

Now you don’t believe a solar eclipse is caused by a snake. If you were born in the Aztec Empire what would you believe?

It’s understandable how some people believe that gravity is made by a god.

1 Like

I wasn’t born in the Aztec Empire. I might have believed anything if I was, but is today so different? I have a pretty good understanding of why people believe a lot of things are caused by “gods”. I tend to believe that at least some people have always been suspicious of god claims. If you lived in the Aztec Empire, I would presume that it was a good idea to keep your mouth shut about it. The Christian world hasn’t always been so different.

2 Likes

This is a good argument. Perhaps people who thought kept their mouths shut for fear of a hot poker where the Sun doesn’t shine.

We’ve had two posters in this thread who argue that their god made gravity. Where does one go from there?

1 Like

Kind of the key point for me is, is this just something you believe for one reason or another, or are you saying that there is some logical or other argument which demonstrates that it’s true? In the first case, I say, okay, have a nice day, pretty much. I don’t see any real harm in that particular belief, and I don’t know what causes it myself. In the second case, I’d want to look more closely at it. If it’s true, I should believe it too, right? If not, I may well contest it and its implication that my own position is false.

1 Like