The Shame of Al Gore

What possesses a former vice president of the U.S. to travel to the birthplace of Islamist terrorism and denounce his country? :unamused:

I think Goreā€™s Saudi connections pale in comparison to those of the Bushes.

are any such connections relevant here?

[quote]A little perspective: The United States went to war to liberate 50 million people in Afghanistan and Iraq. Those regimes sustained themselves by torturing dissidents in the most unspeakable ways.
[/quote]
Is that official? Is that the story now? Is that why we did it?

Iā€™m not sure itā€™s a good idea (or nice) to post a picture of someone plunging to their death here, CC.

Hard to believe that even the most die hard algorebots would attempt to defend his actions.

But I guess they will try to divert and parseā€¦per SOP.

The picture was from the LGF website and ran with the story Chewy linked.

The picture was from the LGF website and ran with the story Chewy linked.[/quote]

Fair enough, but Iā€™d still rather not see a picture of someone dying, for whatever reason. Itā€™s poor taste, and there was no warning. Call me sensitive, but thatā€™s just me.

Give him time. :wink:

Irishstu, Iā€™m pretty much in agreement with you on not wanting to see such photos, but I do see a legitimate place for some photos. This oneā€™s a terrible image, but not gory or (maybe Iā€™m wrong) overtly obscene, and could therefore appear on p.1 of the Taipei Times. Thatā€™s the line, I think.

The picture was from the LGF website and ran with the story Chewy linked.[/quote]

Fair enough, but Iā€™d still rather not see a picture of someone dying, for whatever reason. Itā€™s poor taste, and there was no warning. Call me sensitive, but thatā€™s just me.[/quote]

[quote]
Speaking at the Jiddah Economic Forum, an event staged by oil-rich Saudi royalty, Gore indicted the American government for its ā€œterrible abusesā€ of Arabs since the 9-11 attacks on New York and Washington. Such treatment, he charged, played into the hands of al-Qaida.

And just what was the nature of these abuses? Arabs had been ā€œindiscriminately rounded up, often on minor charges of overstaying a visa or not having a green card in proper order, and held in conditions that were just unforgivable.ā€

Understand: Fifteen of the 19 al-Qaida hijackers on that fateful day, a day that saw 3,000 Americans go to their fiery deaths, a day that created thousands more orphans, were Saudi citizens. Those hijackers lived undetected in this country precisely because immigration authorities had been permissive.[/quote]

The picture is there because of this: the 9/11 attacks resulted from a bunch of Saudi Arabian terrorists; the conference was held in SA; Gore seriously sheeped the US in his speech.

Maybe the picture is there to remind Gore(and others) who was really hurt in that attack, some innocent schmuck on the 99th floor, and why it happened.

ā€œTerrible abusesā€ of arabs my flaming bunghole. :raspberry:

Yeah, Iā€™m not trying to start anything. Gory or not, it is upsetting (for me at least). Maybe itā€™s just a little bit too close-up.

Anyway, just stating my opinion. Carry on.

[quote=ā€œjdsmithā€]ā€œTerrible abusesā€ of Arabs my flaming bunghole. :raspberry:[/quote] Pepto-bismol should take care of your flamage. Not sure if thereā€™s an equally easy remedy for Americaā€™s image problem. :wink:

[quote=ā€œJaboneyā€]Not sure if thereā€™s an equally easy remedy for Americaā€™s image problem. :wink:[/quote]Some people see what ever fits their agenda.
Meanwhile, 1000ā€™s want to get in on what America has to offer.

About the photo. Right, we shouldnā€™t show anything that might possibly upset anyone. We should concentrate on the fact that 2 buildings were knocked down by airplanesā€¦not that 3,000 people were murdered by Muslim terrorists.

A far more disturbing image. The other is almost dignified. Well, I mean that takes serious balls. This one however, requires none at all.

Secretly snapped as ā€˜big Alā€™ was on stage and heard to utter ā€œgive it to me big boy sheiky wakey.ā€

HG

algore asking for a Dirty Sanchez.

OK. Let me just clarify my point of view here. The fact that I find the photo upsetting does not mean I donā€™t give a shit about all the people who died or that I support terrorism. Anyone who links the two is an arse (not that Iā€™m saying anyone here has, but I want to make this very clear).

If we did a thread about someone getting murdered and showed a photo of that, I would be equally upset, REGARDLESS of who did it, why, whether he/she was guilty etc, etc, etc.

If we did a thread about a car accident and showed the car, knowing there was a dead or dying person inside, I would be equally upset.

Iā€™ll be seeing that photo in my mind for days now, just like Iā€™ve seen many upsetting images over the years for a long time after they were shown. Thatā€™s just me. A link to the site, without the photo would have been enough, thanks very much.

Whateverā€¦ carry on.

From a Non Right-wing publication. Just for a different perspective.

[quote]ā€œI truly believe that in this century the Middle East can once again play a leadership role in brining enlightenment and knowledge and a commitment to tolerance,ā€ Gore said.

Regarding the bad image and treatment facing Saudi nationals and Muslims by America after the tragic events of September 11, 2001, he said that he and his Democratic Party colleagues have opposed illegal detentions of Arabs in the United States.

ā€œUnfortunately there have been terrible abuses and itā€™s wrong. That does not represent the feelings of the majority of Americans,ā€ said Gore, adding that there are people even in the current Republican administration that have worked to protect the human and civil rights guaranteed in the US Constitution, and to expose abuses that have occurred following the 9-11 attacks.

He criticized the thoughtless manner in which visas for Arabs are now handled.

ā€œItā€™s the worst possible thing we could do, to cut off the channels of friendship and mutual understanding between Saudi Arabia and America,ā€ he said, pointing out that one of the main objectives of terrorists was to create a wedge in relations. ā€œWe must not fall into that trap.ā€
[/quote]

The guy is talking crazy.

Iā€™m not going to be holding my breath.