The slippery slope

Shrier is a columnist for the WSJ. She explains it soon in the interview, but fyi: she was initially drawn reluctantly into writing about pre-adult FTM trangenders by a distraught reader. Rogan has young daughters.

I had no idea that sub-adult America girls can get their breats removed without a diagnosis, no questions asked. Just wrong.

The flip side of infantilizing adults is saying children can give consent.

1 Like
1 Like

LeBron James is way out, likely fatally down, on the slippery slope, along with the entire NBA whether he knows it or not. I do not foresee a promising future for any of the above in the US, outside urban areas. Big loss imo ā€¦ but it is what it is.

The lesson? When kowtowing to China doesnā€™t work, try continuous kowtowing.

In the past year, China hasnā€™t moderated its oppressive stance towards Hong Kong. Nor has it let up on its enslaved Uighur population of Muslims.

None of these horrors, not even the forced sterilizations, bothers the NBA. It would rather obsess over a few cases in which American police officers have killed African-Americans, almost always either accidentally or with justification.

Kowtow to the ruthless tyrants of China, but hammer the Americans who protect us from crime. Thatā€™s how the NBA rolls.

Its reward is a Chinese television audience to replace the millions of Americans who are tuning the NBA out. . .for as long as the NBA sides with Red China and backs the radical BLM movement, I hope.

1 Like

iā€™ve just skipped down and not even sure what the thread is about (the OP and topic title are not very specific), and i see a lot of the usual suspects trotting out their usual posts, and then this

i love this so much

3 Likes

Wow. That article is a PoS.

Thatā€™s someā€¦ erā€¦ interesting humor

1 Like

Well, at least it is filed under ā€˜humourā€™. The author will probably be no-platformed by tomorrow, though.

As for the claim that this is a ā€œconservative issueā€ā€”no, it really isnā€™t. Parents across the political spectrum oppose activist teachers having secret discussions with their elementary and middle school children about sexuality and gender. Far from this being a ā€œdivisiveā€ culture-war topic, itā€™s close to a consensus. Conservative parents and liberal parentsā€”and for that matter, straight and gay parentsā€”tend to speak with one voice here: They do not want activist teachers shaping their elementary school childrenā€™s ideas of gender or sexuality without their knowledge, permission, or oversight. This is true, even as all decent people want same-sex attracted and gender-questioning adolescents to have a safe, happy, and productive middle school experience.

6 Likes

OMG that is like so just what is happening to Charlotteā€™s daughterson on the Old Lady version of Sex in the City!

4 Likes

Canadaā€™s institutions are well and truly fcked, IMHO. It seems there are very few of them that havenā€™t signed up for some sort of quasi-religious ideology.

4 Likes

She writes very well for a nurse.

1 Like

Itā€™s possible she had some help :slight_smile:

Iā€™d assume the editors probably touched it up a bit, but didnā€™t ghostwrite it.

One never knows, do one? I guess she has lawyers and stuff. Or you may be right!

In any case, it was very clearly written and persuasiveā€¦unlike some of the stuff Iā€™ve seen on Quillette. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

In fairness sheā€™s been writing for a while, like hereā€™s the ā€œwritingā€ link from her post:

As a passing shot, her post says:

Before this happened [in November 2020], I did not self-identify as any kind of active feminist, let alone the ā€œradicalā€ kind.

But uh, in this piece from August 2019:

I consider myself a ā€œradical feministā€ā€”meaning that I endorse an approach to feminism that aims to analyze and tackle the root causes of female oppression.

Whoops.

Anyway, I dunno, it does seem like sheā€™s being badly treated, although then again, if youā€™re gonna pay for billboards about hot-topic subjects then you should maybe expect some attention paid to your views.

Also as usual I canā€™t figure out what any of it has to do with ā€œstating biological sex is realā€. Nothing sheā€™s done seems to state that, and none of her critics seem to have stated disagreement with it.

1 Like

Ah, this makes a bit more sense now.

1 Like