The slippery slope

But she says

I date my own publicly stated concern about this phenomenon to the first time I was denounced with the slur “TERF” (trans-exclusionary radical feminist), which was in 2016.

Before this happened, I did not self-identify as any kind of active feminist, let alone the “radical” kind

She seems to be referring back to the 2016 incident ( hastening to add I don’t know anything about this case apart from what I read here. about it)

1 Like

An interesting and balanced article. In the LA Times. That’s more than a little interesting in itself.

1 Like

One-way skepticism.

It’s always worth the $5 to read Matt Taibbi

And one more, the kicker

3 Likes

Bill Barr talked about the splintering effect the progressive left is having on society quite seriously in his book. I’ll have to put it up. But this is something he alluded to, the last article, that is. Just to speak of it is bigotry. :roll_eyes:

Also on themselves (and really this just deserves to be posted somewhere, I love me some Ryan Grim):

https://vtdigger.org/2022/10/14/randolph-community-discusses-high-school-controversy-at-public-forum/

2 Likes

The big problem liberals have to address is sexual predators take advantage of liberalism. It’s difficult for liberals to deal with, but we need to. Pretending the issue doesn’t exist will enable them.

1 Like

What’re you on about?
You think a 14-year-old kid is upending their entire life to try and perv on some classmates?

You are right there are some people who will abuse any system to get what they want, be it evil, greedy, or whatever. This is not what happened here.

Some people are attracted to females. Some of them have always been allowed in female bathrooms. Some people are attracted to males. Some of them have always been allowed in male bathrooms. Should gay males be allowed to go in male bathrooms? Should lesbian females be allowed to go in female bathrooms?

The only people who cared before about such things are bigots. Now that people are more open about who they truly are, we see who others truly are as well.

I have trouble reading coverage of this without feeling like the girls who “spoke out” (to whom? The media?) have been coached on the careful language they use. I wonder if any kind of mediation was tried before making it a public issue for everyone to shout about and report on.

Anyway, there’s a lot of talk about “comfort”, and I’m not actually sure everyone has the right to insist that their environment conforms to what they’re personally comfortable with. If something had happened other than the trans student getting changed in the room, that would be another matter, but it seems like nothing did.

I agree it’s a problem, and that people with genuine concerns about it tend to get shouted down. On the other hand, there’s a balance of needs, and I haven’t seen any data to suggest that it’s a common problem, compared to the (often national, as in this case) humiliation that trans kids just trying to get changed can expect to face. Teenagers being how they are, what would her experience in the boys’ locker room be like?

Stupid kids will do stupid things. It is totally possible that non predators will do it just to perv a bit. But also predation is a possibility.

1 Like

In the case of high school change rooms, I favor a third room. The “other” option

1 Like

Teachers and school systems have been modeling and policing appropriate language more and more, perhaps the girls just learned what they’re being taught :woman_shrugging:

14-/15-year student did it. Remember this?

2 Likes

Well, they have the right to insist on almost anything actually. Is it reasonable? In a changing room, I think so. We’re not talking about insisting on a comfortable couch. It’s biology.

This statement is somewhat akin to saying, the only people who deny the existence of biological sex in humans are clueless morons. In fact neither statement is particularly helpful for finding common understanding, both ignore a lot of grey and nuance in between, and both are equally true.

1 Like

In your opinion, what percent of people coming out as trans in high school (to be ostracized and bullied) are doing it just to perv in some changing rooms?

My friend John is a gay male. Which changing room should he use?

What does that have to do with anything?

1 Like

The only issue here is the idea that peopleA are going into the changing room to ogle or assault the peopleB in that changing room who match the preference of peopleA.