The stamp for independence

[quote]http://www.localnewswatch.com/skyvalley/stories/index.php?action=fullnews&id=59083

President Chen Shui-bian said Thursday the name ‘Taiwan‘ would soon replace ‘China‘ on the island‘s stamps, a move likely to anger Beijing.

“I believe we will soon see a satisfactory outcome, including the long-awaited terms ‘Taiwan Post‘ and ‘Taiwan stamp,‘” Chen said in a response to a reader posted on the Presidential Office Web site. [/quote]
Yet for some strange reason the Strait Issue is still not resolved.

If I put my “Taiwan” passport in a “Taiwan” envelope and mailed to the PRC with a “Taiwan” stamp does it mean Taiwan’s independence is recognized by the PRC.

Have you had to reskin that drum yet AC? You’ve been banging the same one for a bloody long time.

How am I responsible for the action of our beloved President CSB?

:laughing:

Oooh ooh, it’s the non sequitur game! Can I play?

For a leader whose sole platform is lack of acheivement, what else would you expect him to do besides play word games?

Thats King CSB to you, AC!!

Won’t happen. Just like China Airline will not become Taiwan Airline. The state owned businesses will lose too much money when mainland :wink: stops accepting flights or mail from Taiwan.

Then again, the dumb and dumber party just might do something dumb. :roflmao:

sdf

I would say that has been the case in recent time. However, the pendulum is now swing the other way.

C’mon. This is quite an achievement. Changing the name of a fricking stamp, which previous presidents have ever tried to accomplish such a feat? Makes Kennedys ambitious statement of “we will land on the moon by the end of the decade” seem tame by comparison. I’m sure Chen will look back with pride and say, “look at all I achieved as president, not only did I change the name of an airport, I got rid of some statues of CKS and pushed for a name change of a stamp, how cool is that. I will be remembered in history forever”.

Of course as was pointed out this barve undertaking is not frought with difficulties and danger as China might tell Taiwan to take this stamp and shove it up their asses. I wonder what he’ll do then? Have two sets of stamps, back down and forget the idea (hardly seems likely, after all this is his legacy),

I plump for require all post go through HK where it needs to be reposted pretty much like everyone who travels to China now does.

Do they also refuse goods “Made in Taiwan”?
What about refuse to access websites with a .tw (and not a .tw-province_of_china)…

Ac, get serious, will ya…

Okay, I seriously suggest that Madame Wu Shu-Chen image be place on the first “Taiwan” stamp.

I swear not to have any improper thoughts when I lick the backside of Madame Wu Shu-Chen “Taiwan” stamp, nor have any malicious thoughts when I firmly affix the stamp on the “Taiwan” envelope. Furthermore, I will promise never to affix the stamp up-side-down.

If Madame Wu image is not available, I would like to propose a VP Lu stamp. The same level of respect will be afforded to the VP Lu stamps.

As always, Taiwan’s loyal and devoted citizen ac_dropout.

The Chinese in China are avid stamp collectors. I suspect ‘Taiwan stamps’ making it into China will be worth a lot more than their face value. (No pun intended.)

Perhaps, after the anthem screwup, and the recent name screwups, China may come to see the positive side of renaming things. I’m sure lots of businesspeople in China will be bribing hard and fast for the “right” to start up a new China Airlines.

And considering old China Airline’s safety record, the name change may help rather than harm business. I don’t think Beijing could make Hong Kong refuse flights. And can CA fly into China now, excepting special charter arrangements? I don’t think so.

Who really believes the irrational names should be kept in place forever? If not forever, why not change now? China will invade I suppose. :laughing:

The rationale given is they are going back to a Qing-issued provincial Taiwan stamp. Great!

A possibility is that Hong Kong will say there is a new Taiwan Airline and it is going to take time to arrange the flight schedule; like a few decades. Since there is no more China Airline, their flight schedule will go to the new China Airline or divided up by the existent airlines. Just guessing. :question:

sadf

[quote=“almondbiscuit”]

at least the minority government is trying to do something, anything that they can achieve without requiring the control of the legislature.

and if names and naming artifacts, buildings or anything in the public space count for nothing, then the KMT was equally silly to think it - naming anything - could have contributed to forcing Taiwan to be more Chinese in any way.[/quote]

I wonder if the motivation behind this hatred of all the is Chinese and CKS, doesn’t go back to even before CKS’s arrival in Taiwan. That it is also tied in with the period of Japanese rule and the sense of superiority the Japanese feel over the Chinese race, Lee Tung Hui is an example of someone who has stated "he was a Japanese (Imperial) citizen ". Chen Shui Bians mother (or was it the mother in law?) recently came out and started shouting in Japanese at the Taiwanese journalists, why do you suppose she did that? What point was she making?

sadf

But once agian TI supporter forget that there are two other islands under Taiwan’s control. What about the Jinman and Matzu stamp?

Or are those islands too Chinese now?

Also, don’t forget Taipei Chinatown or whatever that nutty legislator was saying. Maybe there will be two sets of stamps just for Taiwan; one for ROC and one for ROT? :howyoudoin:

[quote=“almondbiscuit”]i wonder if people using the Chinese hatred card against greens realise they often use it based on erroneous reasoning?

that is, when it is used when the issue is about speaking out against (Chinese) imperalism (especially via cultural means) and subjugation of anything that is considered non-Chinese? and not hatred of anything Chinese in particular?

of course, another facet of the Chinese Nationalist rhetoric is the “Japan-lover” line. how dare you praise or endorse anything that is Japanese?! you traitor to “your own people”!

for me, i say, adopt whatever culture or language you want to adopt and worship in your private capacity. take this further, and it’s really about letting people choose.

[though i would add that (i) no, Taiwanese independence sentiments are not necessarily synonymous with “hatred of Chinese/China” and (ii) it did not originate with the Japanese colonial period. Taiwan ind movement/s preexisted it but gained momentum when and after the “dogs left and the pigs arrived”.]

in the public space, there is no dispute that these stamps and other cultural artifacts come from or are located in a place known as Taiwan, and hence renaming is not about ideology.

when names reflects a particular ideology (i.e. Chinese Nationalism) then it’s not value-free. hence, if it was decided that there should be a Japanese spin on our stamps or building or our airports, i would have to say it also reflects an ideology.[/quote]

I think this is a very honest from the heart answer to some of the questions I asked and thank you!

I still have some questions, which I hope you understand are because I would like to understand a little better and still don't seem to sit right with me.

If name changes are about reflecting reality and ensuring there is less confusion , I accept this. But how does renaming CKS airport or removing his statues acheive this aim? 

Also why did Chen Shui Bians mother in law choose to use Japanese when she ranted and raved with the press?